HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:51 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Gallery
What AS3X aircraft would you like to see developed?

So HH has smitten us with the new AS3X technology...and my first reaction was rather negative (sowwy HH)...but with time and thought I realized the potential of this game-changer, so...let's have some fun, be imaginative, think about what aircraft could possibly use this newfangled stabilization gear (that otherwise wouldn't be able to fly well, if at all)...and maybe give HH some great ideas for future aircraft...

No rules...a sort of fantasy wishlist if you like...we could even broaden our horizons by assuming (hoping) for a 6 or even 8 channel UMX receiver...I'm going to go out on a limb and postulate that micro-retracts have been developed, just to make it more fun....

Have at it, provide pics for visual impact, it's all fair game- X-planes, VTOL, movie concept craft, EDF's, props, warbirds, multi-engine...whatever.

I'll start by carrying over my two ideas from the other thread:

-Northrup "Bantam" X-4 (twin micro EDFs, retracts, speed brakes, elevon mixing)

-Bell X-5 (EDF, prototype working 1st gen swing-wing, novel retract design, speed brakes either side of nose...)

Bud, wishful Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Oct 25, 2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Northrup, not Bell :o
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:01 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Something EDF and VTOL, More EDFs, more classics, more warbirds and experimentals... F117A, Berkut, Some of the NASA lifting body designs... SR71, Long EZ... Anything with canards...
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:03 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Berkut!! Awesome, nice one!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Always loved the Berkut... Sweet looking design in black... Awesome, forward sweep and canards, what a combo...
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
What happened to Berkut development in Russia? Seems llike they scrapped the program and build the T-50.

F-35B gets my vote.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
Idly musing, I'd like to see a a 14 or 16" Fokker Dr I, in factory livery, without dihedral and a perilously aftwards CG.

Or a UM Harrier that can hover but there are serious engineering challenges involved; while the body of the Harrier is (was) very wide you could probably fid a shrouded 5070 prop in there and still call it a micro.
But how do you control it while in hover? If you fit 2 counter rotating motors inside you could control the roll axis with torque but what about pitch and yaw?
The real Harrier bleeds compressed air from the turbine and controls its attitude via nozzles in tail and wing tips but I don't see that happening on a small model.

What I really want is an ultra micro version of the E-Flite electrical retracts..
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Add also....
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:46 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Convair POGO..

The props would take a little work, but flesh out the UMX Taxi, and TA DA!!!
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Anything designed to carry a camera or FPV equipment. I'm thinking something that has many little weights in the cockpit (or where the camera goes). Remove those weights until you match the camera weight itself. Fly! I have large airplanes that can carry camera and FPV stuff, but would not mind something small and with that great technology onboard! No matter what it look like!

Second option: Anything I can fly in my living room and have fun with! Even if it does look like the Hyper Taxi! I can fly my Extra or Yak, but it's not as fun as I would like it to be!

Option 3: Forget the airplane! Just give me the board and let me play with the settings so I can stick it in any of my actual UMs!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
An Aardvark would be cool:

So would a Starfighter.

How about a Voodoo?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 20, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:15 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Glad this thread is "taking off"...har har...

The awesome XB-70 Valkyrie...with fold-down wing-tips...to take advantage of that scale UMX "compression lift".
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:18 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Anything designed to carry a camera or FPV equipment. I'm thinking something that has many little weights in the cockpit (or where the camera goes). Remove those weights until you match the camera weight itself. Fly! I have large airplanes that can carry camera and FPV stuff, but would not mind something small and with that great technology onboard! No matter what it look like!

Second option: Anything I can fly in my living room and have fun with! Even if it does look like the Hyper Taxi! I can fly my Extra or Yak, but it's not as fun as I would like it to be!

Option 3: Forget the airplane! Just give me the board and let me play with the settings so I can stick it in any of my actual UMs!
+1!!!!

An FPV platform would also be very cool. A pusher - or preferably, a conventional twin.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Oct 2004
152 Posts
I'd like to see them develop a Hyper Big Box Store VTOL.
It would be a four sided foam square, the motor and prop would be inside as would the control surfaces.
It would be come it two versions - the Walmart and a Home Depot. And I wouldn't buy it unless it was at least $180.00

And because it is a box, it wouldn't need a shipping box so it could be marketed as the first "Green" RC plane ever made.

And a portion of the profits would go to the Chinese government to encourage them to continue producing all the wonderful, cheap stuff they make for our enjoyment
PowerPlay is offline Find More Posts by PowerPlay
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:46 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
NASA/Ames AD-1 "Slingwing":

Yeh. How cool would that be!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:12 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,125 Posts
I second starfighter, Berkut, XB-70(cant think of anyway to make micro edfs fit in that squareish load of 6 engines it has), and voodoo. Would love any swept wing i havent heard of very much
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower