HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:11 PM
RickyBoy
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
345 Posts
Tam made me a nose Strut that matches the BVM Struts. I'm just converting to the electric gear and brake.
RickyBoy49 is offline Find More Posts by RickyBoy49
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:16 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,331 Posts
Guys,
Are there any other Electric Retracts out there as an alternative to the BVM Blue Electrics that are drop in replacements? I've read the whole thread and it appears there are some air alternatives (Ron suggested Tam's A-4 retracts) and I saw on a video that Tam used an E-Flite 25-46 all metal retract and that Tam sells some struts for the BVM Blue retracts. I don't want to go mechanical and Air just seems like a hassle after being spoiled with electrics on jets like the Habu 32. Plus I like to have options so if there is one to the BVM Blue Electrics I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!
Aaron
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:27 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,305 Posts
dreamworksrc has some nice electric etracts to. much better built that anything from eflite. I wouldnt trust eflite 60-120's in an electra, their not rated for the weight. tams struts are always nice.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/index.php

not sure how these compare to bvm etracts on price.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
RickyBoy
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
345 Posts
Any body find alternative batteries yet. I have asked Hobby King to produce some Jet Packs.
RickyBoy49 is offline Find More Posts by RickyBoy49
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:04 PM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
839 Posts
Jet packs are nothing more than a 2 :and 3 cell pack taped together. So buy some packs and make. Your own. Or check with steve neu he sells some nice packs
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:40 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1 View Post
Jet packs are nothing more than a 2 :and 3 cell pack taped together. So buy some packs and make. Your own. Or check with steve neu he sells some nice packs
+1
Connectors, Blenderm tape, and 15 minutes effort and you too can have "jet packs" or "saddle packs".
Or like Clay sez, look at the Neu offerings. You can get them from Larry Wolfe at Jet Hanger Hobbies.
-Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
149 Posts
Hoping someone can answer this for me..

I was flying my Electra today, it was cold, about 40-45 degrees. My PW8 was charging in the cold weather mode and was only registering about 92% when it was done charging. I wanted to get one more flight in so I figured I would cut my flight time down a minute or so just to be safe. Well at about 2:30 into the flight my motor just cut right out on me.. Luckily I was on the down wind leg, dropped the gear and flaps, cut the corner and landed it safely. When I was on the ground I had throttle response and was able to taxi back, but the ESC was beeping. I put my lipos back on the charger for storage mode and they read 34% left in the packs..I was cold and a little jittered so I just packed up and left after that..

Anybody run into this, or have an idea what might have happened..I would really appreciate some input..Thanks..

Erik
LTR450 is offline Find More Posts by LTR450
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:53 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,615 Posts
The power lab has a temp setting that protects the cells from damage when the temp is below 50 degrees you can adjust the value.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:04 AM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
149 Posts
Thanks Rob, any ideas on why my motor cut out??
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:07 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR450 View Post
Thanks Rob, any ideas on why my motor cut out??
The beeps would have told you why it cut off. You count the beeps to see whats why it shut down.

Make sure your current sensing is set correctly. Mine was off and it would shut down with the beeps just like yours after real hard flying. Checked it with castle link and it was not set right. After I changed it no more problems.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,615 Posts
most likely the batteries did not hold the power in the cold you could have had an Lvc occur or you could have had a current spke did you warm the batteries prior to flying cold temps are really tough on the batteries
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Look back through the thread for battery suggestions. I am using 3 x 4s GensAce 5500 mAh 25c sourced from Hobbypartz. I stack two on one side of the fan and 1 on the other, stock location. I'm pulling 142A. I set timer for 5 min and usually land with 30% if I don't push it constantly. Nice and light, well balanced packs, very inexpensive. I believe Neu has great options too. I have 52 flights now with them and I'm happy, so about 20 per pack and they are fine so far.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:07 AM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
most likely the batteries did not hold the power in the cold you could have had an Lvc occur or you could have had a current spke did you warm the batteries prior to flying cold temps are really tough on the batteries
Someone I was flying with said the same thing, about the current spike. I was charging them outside naturally, but at 40 degrees, I was sitting in the truck warming my hands..After the flight I put them on storage and they still had 34% left in them..So I didnt warm the batteries before flight...could that have happened?? With it being relatively cold out???
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
The beeps would have told you why it cut off. You count the beeps to see whats why it shut down.

Make sure your current sensing is set correctly. Mine was off and it would shut down with the beeps just like yours after real hard flying. Checked it with castle link and it was not set right. After I changed it no more problems.
I called BV, just to be sure..Super nice guy..Hes going to check into it and call me back..As far as settings go, I havent seen anything with what the current settings are. Everything I have says its done at the factory and no need to change it..How do I know what the correct sensing?? is?? Thanks for all the input guys..
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR450 View Post
Someone I was flying with said the same thing, about the current spike. I was charging them outside naturally, but at 40 degrees, I was sitting in the truck warming my hands..After the flight I put them on storage and they still had 34% left in them..So I didnt warm the batteries before flight...could that have happened?? With it being relatively cold out???
ABSOLUTELY!

The esc settings are done by BVM. They may have the over current protection on to protect the motor.

Think about a car that sits out all night in winter the battery works really hard to crank the motor.
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling