HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:09 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
That boat was like fighting for it's life.
That is what we call a breeze here... common conditions in the summer afternoon... Keeps you concentrated. You should have seen me last year with A-rig in these conditions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Btw, what was that shadow you see moving over the water surface a few seconds before the end of the vid?
Didn't notice! Must have been an aircraft. This venue is near the airport, just below the approaching path.
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
394 Posts
We mostly race at these venues:

Carén, where the last video was filmed: http://www.cvrc.cl/2014/01/10/laguna-caren/
Vitacura, where the last race took place: http://www.cvrc.cl/2014/01/02/laguna...o-de-vitacura/
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:36 AM
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
Swing rig setup

From your photos I can tell that the breakback system you used was bound to fail. I've been sailing with breakback swing rigs since the 1980's so I can give you a few tips.

First, you must think of the jib as a door with a hinge at the end of the boom near the mast and a hinge where the jib stay attaches to the mast. In your photo the lower hinge is not aligned correctly and if it were on a door that door would not swing open.

Setting the sails correctly on a breakback swing rig is the same as setting the sails on a conventional rig provided that the conventional rig has the jib stay aligned with the centerline of the boat. This is the difference between a breaback swing rig and the conventional rig most guys use today with the jib cantilevered over the centerline.

Looking from the crows nest the breakback swing rig should be set up with the leading edge of the jib over the centerline. This will require the spar that the jib pivot is mounted on to be to the lee of the centerline. How far to the lee will take some experimentation because different sails require adjustments, but the general idea is to have the jib's leading edge aligned with the centerline of your boat and the sails to be set just as on a conventional boat.

I see from your photos that you have a mast trunk. If you have the ability to adjust your mast rake you will want to have your mast vertical in most conditions. In light airs, and puffy ones, you will want to have your mast raked about 3 degrees forward. This will use the weight of the mast to bring your rig out to reaching position. Having your rig raked aft, as in the photos, means that the rig will center and the wind has to lift the weight of the mast as well as the boom and the sails to get moving. With the rig raked forward it naturally goes out, and as the wind picks up it is only a matter is adjusting the relation to the new wind by hauling in the sheets or letting out line. This will let the boat react to zephyrs that other boats don't feel yet.

The common logic now is that swing rigs are only good in A size rigs. I still sail breakback swing rigs in B size but beyond 15 mph I go down to a conventional rig. I will also go down if is gusty. Once the wind goes above 10 to 12 I will rake my rig forward again. This allows wind to spill off the top of the mainsail and improves the control downwind because wind flows over the sail rather than catching the sail and forcing the boat to dive. That is not to say that the boat doesn't dive, just not as much as the boats around it.

Hope this helps.
Niel1055 is offline Find More Posts by Niel1055
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:52 AM
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
Swing rig setup

One other thing, your rig is too high off the deck. You have the right idea by angling the booms up but unless your boat is extremely tender the spars should be close to the deck. This allows you greater control of the rig because there is less line to stretch between the deck fairlead and the boom.
Niel1055 is offline Find More Posts by Niel1055
Old Mar 26, 2015, 02:44 AM
Joined Aug 2007
11 Posts
converting from swing rig to conventional rig

Hi guys

I'm having a goth rg65 but i'm having a swing A rig sail.
I wonder if i could use the sail with the conventional rig instead cause i could not find any idea to make it swing easily ... i'm having the plastic bearing from Sailsetc but it is just not able to swing smoothly.

The sail area of the swing sail is slightly smaller than the conventional sail, so i guess it's not against the rules right, if i'm converting it to conventional and race ?
zornzack is offline Find More Posts by zornzack
Old Mar 26, 2015, 05:00 AM
Si2
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined May 2014
91 Posts
If you are using a combo of swing rigs and conventional then you should have two mast positions - for the swing rig one use flanged stainless bearings that suit the diameter of your mast.

Here's a link to one that's 6mm internal and 8mm external - fit one of those in the top of an aluminium pipe and a non flanged in the bottom and you should see firction free swinging...

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p15...duct_info.html
Si2 is online now Find More Posts by Si2
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zornzack View Post
Hi guys

I'm having a goth rg65 but i'm having a swing A rig sail.
I wonder if i could use the sail with the conventional rig instead cause i could not find any idea to make it swing easily ... i'm having the plastic bearing from Sailsetc but it is just not able to swing smoothly.

The sail area of the swing sail is slightly smaller than the conventional sail, so i guess it's not against the rules right, if i'm converting it to conventional and race ?
Converting sails is not a good idea. The sail area distribution is different! Sloop Rigs have a ~40% jib and ~60 main, compared to ~30% jib and ~70% main on a Swing Rig. You should build/get different sails for a different rig. (See here for a comparison: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing )

And as "Si2" noted, you will need a different mast position for Sloop and Swing rigs.

Both things (different mast position and different sail area distribution) are needed to mantain balance between sail center of effort (CE) and hull center of lateral resistance (CLR).

Bearings for swing rigs I have seen made in two ways: bearings and teflon rings (not plastic!). I would advise you stick with Swing and make it work properly.