SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2015, 01:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
61 Posts
Good suggestions Dragonfly, unfortunately I can eliminate both as the altimeter was jammed up in the nose well in front of the servos (trapped with a piece of foam) and the stab mounts are all good. Fortunately it was dead calm when this happened so the model went straight out, any turbulence might have been fatal.

Jeff I can see that kind of thing happening, so there was a hasty run to the garage to check every switch position thankfully with no aberrations found in the program. It wasn't copied, I started fresh so there shouldn't have been anything, but setting up a program is fairly complex so it would be easy to build in a problem. The Karizma must be one tough bird!

I've been away for a couple of days and should be flying again tomorrow - hoping for no drama.

Rex
rashwell is offline Find More Posts by rashwell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2015, 02:25 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined May 2004
380 Posts
Long Shots

Wiggle the servo to make sure it's solid in whatever mount you use.

Push your launch button or switch and verify that up is up and down is down and check the trim setting. Check the elevator control horn. Check the boom for a crack that would deflect the boom during a hard launch.

Like I say, long shots - Good Luck

Richard S
LSF226 is offline Find More Posts by LSF226
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
61 Posts
Flew today with no problems - that's good! Still have no idea what caused it - that's bad! Now I just keep flying and hope there's no recurrence as I have the NZ Soar champs coming up in a couple of weeks and I can't afford to be distracted by this any more.

All the top flyers in the country will be there and, while I take these competitions seriously, I can only expect to be near (or at) the bottom of the field. That's the lot of a pensioner who hasn't been flying long I guess but it will be interesting to see how the Storm compares, and the name of the game is enjoyment after all.

Rex
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2011
61 Posts
Back from the Soar champs after four days of glider action starting with F3B followed by F3J and ALES Radian then F3K on the final day. I was a general dog's body for the first three days, timing and retrieving winch lines, and flew DLG at the end.

Fortunes were mixed for the Storm as I got clipped by another model on the first launch of the competition (aargh!) but flew out the required 2 minutes and landed without further problems. Everything looked okay so I relaunched, lost control off the top and managed to land again to find the fin had rotated around the boom about 40 degrees, presumably due to launch loads, so finished the round with my Blaster.

The hit was not very hard but obviously hard enough to break the CA glue lines. I repaired the damage with CA and flew the next three rounds before a rough landing (to avoid going outside the box) broke the fin again the same way so I parked it and finished the competition with the Blaster.

Attaching the fin with CA has not been successful for me as I doubt that either impact would have caused significant damage if I had used epoxy. Certainly the fin was not damaged and that's a good thing, but I lost time in a couple of rounds and that's bad. Removing the fin when I was back home was not that easy and because the CA had soaked into the rohacell there is now a void which must be filled with something not too heavy.

Now I need to decide what glue to use to reattach it. Epoxy is the obvious answer but I have wondered about polyurethane, (Gorilla glue) which is light and would fill the void, or possible a flexible CA as it would be nice to have a glue which can absorb some impact shock. Anyone got a suggestion?

I was 10th out of 14, so not last, but since I was the oldest competitor by about 15 years I was quite happy with that. The Storm seemed able to match most of the models there, mainly Snipes with a couple of Stobels, a couple of Epics and my Blaster. Conditions were not ideal for much of the day with a brisk breeze and the lift was very patchy, but I was able to find a few spots that immediately attracted poachers who sometimes struggled to climb as well.

As always, I need more practice to make the most of the model, but I really like it and expect to be able to improve my competitiveness in future. What's the list look like these days Graham, I might need another some time?

Rex
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
208 Posts
I read in the Snipe thread that Joe Wurts likes to use a rubberized CA
xcski is offline Find More Posts by xcski
Old Mar 30, 2015, 01:32 AM
Joined Mar 2011
61 Posts
Thanks xcski, I missed an opportunity to ask, having just spent the last few days flying and timing with him. I didn't think too hard about the repair until I got home and started working on it.

Rex
Old Mar 30, 2015, 03:07 AM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashwell View Post
What's the list look like these days Graham, I might need another some time?

Rex
The list is considerably shorter than it was a few months ago. It will probably take me about 2 months to clear the existing names.
Graham
graham1234 is offline Find More Posts by graham1234
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:53 AM
David the Swarfer
South Africa, EC, Grahamstown
Joined Sep 2010
95 Posts
the list is due to lengthen a bit (-:
you got some free advertising on this podcast
http://thecrashcast.com/
entitled 'Flingy thingies', episode 303.
swarfer is offline Find More Posts by swarfer
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:25 AM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1234 View Post
The list is considerably shorter than it was a few months ago. It will probably take me about 2 months to clear the existing names.
Graham
I am on the list somewhere too, looking forward to the plane.
Jaguar22 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:33 PM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
616 Posts
I am also on the list; looking forward to a plane with some more performance than my current Predator 3.

I have a question though: after reading Mickey's build notes I am keen to try some Futaba servos on this one for something different. I noticed on a couple of Mickeys' builds there are either s3114's or s3154's for the tail surfaces, and s3156's for the ailerons. Was this just a coincidence, or is there a particular reason, or need for putting the metal gear servos on the ailerons?
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:05 PM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vx99 View Post
I am also on the list; looking forward to a plane with some more performance than my current Predator 3.

I have a question though: after reading Mickey's build notes I am keen to try some Futaba servos on this one for something different. I noticed on a couple of Mickeys' builds there are either s3114's or s3154's for the tail surfaces, and s3156's for the ailerons. Was this just a coincidence, or is there a particular reason, or need for putting the metal gear servos on the ailerons?
I used 3154's once on ailerons and they worked ok but I had a little flutter. The 3156's are much more torque and have a beefier gear train and since using them I've had no flutter issues, plus good centering, so I stick with them. It's not the metal gears that I value, it's the torque, but I've never stripped one either. And I'm fairly clumsy. The '54's and '14's work fine on the tail. My local buddies like the 54's but I stick to the '14's for slightly lower battery draw.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:21 PM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
616 Posts
Ah, I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
393 Posts
Some more information on servos. I now only use S3114's all round. When I first started using them, I bench tested the 14 against the 54 for centering and resolution. Nothing very scientific, just a long stick on the arm against a marker. I did not find any discernable difference between the 2. The 54 is considerably more expensive and uses more current, so I went for the 14's. I have not had any problems with flutter, but then I am not the worlds strongest launcher. I have not tried the 56.
Graham
graham1234 is offline Find More Posts by graham1234
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,786 Posts
To clarify, the flutter was not on this moulded airplane, but an early bagged one. Locals are throwing this new plane 210 ft, with no sign of flutter.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129