HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,649 Posts
Build Log
clausxpf Foam Shell & Glass 70mm Draken - Maiden Flight Video Up!

My good friend Claus in Denmark sent me a wonderful project - his 70mm Draken! Claus and Air Sally have explored this project for a while on another thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=draken but I thought I'd share my build here.

The package Claus sent me was very complete - not only did it include the full foam set and drawings, but he sent me a vac-formed canopy and a full set of ducts.

I spent last night gluing the formers together while the wife watched "Glee" on television. It took about an episode and a half to build, so that's about an hour and a half. Not bad to get the major construction finished! I was half expecting the roughed out model to be very blocky, but the shape of the model appears to need veyr little shaping. There will be some sanding in my future but not nearly as much as I expected.

So my next step is to install some of the internal components such as landing gear and motor mounts, then glass the interior.

bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bwoollia; Sep 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,515 Posts
Subbed!I love this construction technique.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,738 Posts
Wow that was petty fast took me forever to get to that point . man i would one day sure like to do the 90mm version ...i have the drawing ...just no time
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:21 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,540 Posts
At the moment I am reorient the drawing for a stumax 110 mm pusher fan.
some developments have to build in.
Claus
Velocity-RC
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,540 Posts
a helpfull little tool

I think you all know those clips for closing plastic bags in the fridge.
it is good for holding sandpaper as well.
Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined May 2008
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausxpf View Post
Claus
Velocity-RC
Put me down for a beta-build!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
Sollentuna,Sweden
Joined Sep 2000
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausxpf View Post
Claus
Velocity-RC
Nice!!
Been waiting on your bigger Draken
Mikael is online now Find More Posts by Mikael
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,110 Posts
subbed!
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,571 Posts
Have you even come close to unpacking from the move yet? Man! Jets, giant warbirds, what else you got on the go? And it looks like you're building on the kitchen counter, too! The Draken looks very cool. Love the shape of that airframe.
Wolpertinger is offline Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined May 2008
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
Have you even come close to unpacking from the move yet? Man! Jets, giant warbirds, what else you got on the go? And it looks like you're building on the kitchen counter, too! The Draken looks very cool. Love the shape of that airframe.
Yup, we're all unpacked!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2008
3,649 Posts
So not much work today, just a bit of cutting. I've removed the main landing gear door/bays. The retracts will be mounted on a plywood plate bonded to the foam - in fact due to the irregular shape of the bottom surface of the plane I'll probably use two layers - a longer layer of 1/64th that will conform to the foam inside, then a smaller 1/8 or 3/16 layer on top of that for strength. That should distribute the load across much of the surface of the foam as possible while also providing a solid attachment for the retracts themselves. The plywood will be glued in place, then glassed as well. The nosegear I will deal with once the model has been glassed since I will have better access.

Site Sponsor
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:08 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,738 Posts
look in my draken thread to see how i did mine...for some reason me thinks you are not in the right place for the gear maybe it is cause the pic is too up close as i cant see where it is .i'll ck mine and give you measurement ,i believe i move mine fwd a tad to help it rotate and carry the nose wheel on landing ala full scale there was plenty of depth for my gear and wheel . are you palning on any ply or composite formers? i used depron glassed both sides for my gear and wing spars to carry the loads.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:24 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,738 Posts
i went to thread tool on my Draken thread and click on "show attchments in this thread " it shows all the pics in the thread on 3 pages...looks like it is in the correct place. can i give you a suggestion .......do not paint yours Danish Green camo ....you can see i had to ruin the look of mine with dayglo orange sticker to be able to see it ...i plan on repainting it some day like the red one Claus did with the yellow dragon on the bottom i wanted to honor Claus by doing it in green danish colors .....but now i know why they chose that color ...it was very hard to see the tail and wing tips and figure out if i was seeing the top of the plane or the bottom. solid flying airplane ,there are pics of the C/G too . your should be lighter than mine ,if you fly it like a delta on landing it slows down pretty good for landing.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:44 AM
Joined May 2008
3,649 Posts
Thanks for checking! Mine will be red with a white cross on top, the bottom will be the green. It was painted temporarily after the Danes won the soccer world cup. Hopefully that will help.

I'm glad to hear it "deltas" nicely. My Velocity Mirage has an awesome speed range: 125 mph and down to a crawl at high alpha!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:41 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
9,181 Posts
Looks good Brian!
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014