SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:41 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,318 Posts
Discussion
Polyester Fuse?

I talked with Charles from Yellow just now, and asked about any F-18 single kits--
he does have a Polyester kit -less the wings. I can pick up for a great price
I have the templates so cutting new cores is a non issue.

With Yellow kits going extinct, I thought this might be my last shot at getting one.

Any real major issues with Polyester-vs - epoxy? Weight? ..Strength?

Thanks
Cooler.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:21 PM
Need 4 Speed!
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,681 Posts
Take it. Yes it's not as good but it's better than nothing.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:34 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,909 Posts
Use nothing but aeropoxy for bonding anything important and you are golden. Nothing to be afraid of! They tend to be lighter than the new epoxy versions anyway which have extra reinforcements in the form of carbon built in for turbine usage.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Feb 11, 2015, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Take it. Yes it's not as good but it's better than nothing.
I took your advice- and told Charles I'd take it- the price was right. Got the retracts too. I'll have him order me the struts and wheels while he can still get them.

This build is a long way off for now, but Once Yellow closes , it's to late .
Always nice to have a "vintage" NIB kit stashed. ..
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:18 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,597 Posts
good thing you got the wheels they are nice and look scale and are light ,I had a set on my Tams F-16 but wore out the foam . I got to fly a couple of these for a work project ,I only had one really successful flight ,as who ever built the planes I was flying set them up with out ailerons. tailerons is a big no no with this F-18 , and a lot of flap offset is required too as there is some blanking at higher speeds. the one good landing I had was the first and it had a nice glide . I must have really had it slowed down cause I had no issues with the flaps blanking . I never got the engine
"on the pipe" as I had some kind of fuel tank issue . other flights went bad as the plane dove into the ground when the flaps were lowered. after that and a lot of research I figured it out and when it happened a second time I was ready for it and was able to pull out of the dive
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,318 Posts
Rodger thanks for your evaluation. ---Perhaps the tires may last longer off grass!

I got a F-18 KMP foamy from John Morgan that I'm working now. At which time I "master" that one, I'll move on the the YellowF-18 .
My Scorpion will also help in this. I have no grand illusions about flying either, I need work!

In the last week, a couple of things that have been in the works for the last 6-to 12 months came to fruition-- which provides me the chance to acquire the this and the Starfire kits B-4 they are no more. I think of it more as an investment for now. Had this happened, 6 months ago , I'd be golden. Get what you can when yo u can. ..

Neither will be built anytime soon, but I intend on getting all/everything I need for each from Yellow B-4 Charles closes shop,

I look around and see all these guys, snapping up these older "vintage " planes and refurbishing them, with amassing results. Well , up her in norther Mn, there are not may planes to be had-- so I'll will make my own stash.
And when the time comes, I won't be bashful about asking for help!

Cooler. (Mark)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 04:58 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,401 Posts
Plexus MA310 is the best adhesive for any composite bonding. Google it, it's easy to find and a whole lot cheaper than Aeropoxy/Hysol. It is the only adhesive which will affect a chemical bond to polyester, other than polyester itself. Epoxy won't do that, you just get a mechanical bond where you sanded it. BTW, polyester has wax in it to prevent the exposed surface from being tacky. You need to clean this off with acetone before you sand it, otherwise you're just spreading the wax around. I use MA310 for gluing firewalls in Q40 pylon racers, no need for glassing etc, just glue it in and it takes the abuse of a screaming 40. Before I found MA310 I was gluing and glassing firewalls in place.

Another option for fan mounts would be a high strength silicone RTV as you don't need high rigidity in the joint.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Feb 12, 2015, 08:03 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
594 Posts
Cooler, that's awesome to hear you got a Yellow F-18, and along with the gear that's a great score. What's up with Yellow? Are they really closing up shop? It is sad to see another manufacturer go. You got yourself a real rare bird, congrats!

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Feb 12, 2015, 09:14 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2014
7 Posts
F-18

For information purposes only. I got this info from one of the kit manf's in China. Just about all the composite models coming from China, have been discontinued. It seems now China has an EPA. The resins and solvents now have charges added to there cost to prepay the wasted material, mainly the solvents. I was told that a 5 gal container now cost $95. The solvent price hasn' t changed, it's still $5. But the pickup charge for the used solvents is $90, for the 5 gal, and if there is more than 10% unaccountable for, they get charged a penalty. This is the reason were seeing no more composite models coming out of China. As for the Yellow F-18. If I remember correctly there were two versions. The orginal was the one that Bob Feorinze, made the molds for, and a smaller version that was the orginal first version made by Ron Perot. The molds for the Ron Perot version, are still in the US. I know the guy who has them, and he would love to sell them. I have 3, F-18 kits. One is 1 of the 3 that Ron , made back in the 80's. The other 2 are from the guy that has the molds now.

My 2 cents worth.
SSBN642KingK is offline Find More Posts by SSBN642KingK
Last edited by SSBN642KingK; Feb 20, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:50 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,715 Posts
We often think China is backward regarding hazardous waste handling, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lead the way in this regard. I visit Bejing and Shanghai occasionally, and am always impressed how modern their cities are. They also have public transportation systems that beat anything I've seen anywhere.
Watch out USA (and the rest of the world), the Chinese are in their boom times.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:31 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,909 Posts
Errr, OK. If you say so.

This is the country that tells the factories to shut down for two weeks before an international conference so the air will clear up.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,318 Posts
I talked with Charles not long ago-- and FYI the struts are $185.00, ( in line with a set of Robart struts) and the wheels are $135.00-- I know others who have went with the RC Crafters strut's --which are approx $400,00+ ,and need the Y/A wheels so $185 is not out of line.
To me , there's a fine line, where absolute scale and money conflict.

touché-- Chris .
Old Feb 12, 2015, 02:21 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,826 Posts
hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
We often think China is backward regarding hazardous waste handling, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lead the way in this regard. I visit Bejing and Shanghai occasionally, and am always impressed how modern their cities are. They also have public transportation systems that beat anything I've seen anywhere.
Watch out USA (and the rest of the world), the Chinese are in their boom times.
I have been there also...But you need to look behind the curtains..No way
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:42 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,715 Posts
No question, they are still behind, but when you consider how fast things are changing there, we can't keep up that kind of pace.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:02 AM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
398 Posts
Glad it worked out Mark
70 ragtop is online now Find More Posts by 70 ragtop