SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxted
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Build Log
Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee 33% Hacker Powered

Well this is a first for me, My first large scale electric and my first posting on RC groups!

I got this this urge to build this Piper Pawnee with this setup after I saw a video posted by Ali of Al's Hobbies. Following a brief discussion with Al I ordered the plane and the exact setup as Al was running ( no point re inventing the wheel, especially when the top man been on the case!!) so here is the start of my new adventure.

I did my version of Al's video of his Piper Pawnee 10 min flight, hope you enjoy it, you may have already seen it.

http://youtu.be/bRexdAPLFcI?hd=1
hangarman is offline Find More Posts by hangarman
Last edited by hangarman; Apr 23, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Here are some pics of my new toy. I'm running a Hacker A150 and Hacker's Masterspin 220 Opto. Swinging a BIELA 28 x 10 prop. I'm running 14s with 5000mah 30c hopefully about 5 mins flight time. Ali has the same again but double the capacity. Ali is trying to source the same sort of battery configuration for me, so in the meantime this will have to do.
Last edited by hangarman; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Some more pics, I know that this is not really a build thread compared to some of the amazing threads on here. The Hangar 9 kit is really well put together kit and is very complete. I have decided to use JR8411 and JR8511 on this model a tad overkill but as they there lying around they got used.
Last edited by hangarman; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
First run on the motor on full power. 14s (51.8v)

http://youtu.be/a7_h64F1Jh8
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,757 Posts
That is stupendous! Smack on! Awesome, dude! Depending on which part of the world your from, good job! I will keep an eye on this one. Will you be towing gliders with this as well?
I've been looking at Aerosente's 1/3 scale Piper Pawnee Brave as a possible candidate for aero-towing and this would most certainly fit the bill! I'm subscribed.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
That is stupendous! Smack on! Awesome, dude! Depending on which part of the world your from, good job! I will keep an eye on this one. Will you be towing gliders with this as well?
I've been looking at Aerosente's 1/3 scale Piper Pawnee Brave as a possible candidate for aero-towing and this would most certainly fit the bill! I'm subscribed.

Randy
Randy

Thanks for that. Some more pics shortly .
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
918 Posts
This looks fun! I'm extra-interested in any tips you have on the leccy bits (what sort of power/current/voltage you run at) plus good value UK suppliers. Even the nuts and bolts stuff like how you do your LiPo wiring loom, anti-spark measures, all that kind of thing would be great.

Thanks,
Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Wing Lights

Randy

Sorry fella didn't reply to your questions. I'm not sure whether I will be glider towing, I recently went to a glider meet and it did appeal!!

Ali (Al's Hobbies), whose plane inspired me to do this, he has modified his with a "tow hook" just behind the canopy, which he has incorporated a quick release tow line function...just in case!

I have put some lights in the wings for a bit of fun. These were cabinet down lighters with LED's and are really bright! I have made up some port and Starboard lights to go in as well...pics very soon.
Last edited by hangarman; Apr 28, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Some pics of the engine, cowl and prop fitting.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Cowl Light Fitted and Nav Lights installed in wing tips.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton Bank View Post
This looks fun! I'm extra-interested in any tips you have on the leccy bits (what sort of power/current/voltage you run at) plus good value UK suppliers. Even the nuts and bolts stuff like how you do your LiPo wiring loom, anti-spark measures, all that kind of thing would be great.

Thanks,
Rog
Rog

Thank you, I'm hoping it will be fun! I will post some pics of the wiring etc. with regard to the antispark i have piggy backed off the positive lead see pic. I am no way an expert as Im very new to this electric stuff. So maybe not the best person to ask!!! I will be posting some questions on here later as I need some advice!
Last edited by hangarman; Apr 28, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:20 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,167 Posts
hangarman - I'm in envy! I may just have to get one of those sometime! Just a thought, but the cables from the batteries to the ESC seem rather long to me and will be stressing the input capacitors on the ESC. If you were to rotate the ESC by 180 degrees, that would allow you to shorten them by a fair bit. I'd hate to see you blow one of those ESC's!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old May 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,167 Posts
Horizon flew the 1/3 Pawnee at SEFF and I wanted to ask them how they had it powered and forgot. If anybody knows please post it.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old May 05, 2012, 05:17 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,335 Posts
Hi,
Maybe it was same plane as in this video? It had 100 cc engine in the video (not sure but I think it was a DA-100).

HorizonHobby.com Preview - Hangar 9 33% Pawnee (6 min 45 sec)

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old May 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,
Maybe it was same plane as in this video? It had 100 cc engine in the video (not sure but I think it was a DA-100).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tXcQ...layer_embedded

/Bo
Right airplane, but I doubt it was the one at SEFF..SEFF is an electric event....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel