HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:35 PM
Constant edits for autocorrect
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Discussion
Blade has no warranty?

I am curious about Blades warranty since I was told on the phone just now that they have none. I have a 1 1/2 month old MCX2 with a bad 5 in 1 so I called blade. They told me to package the helicopter up and send it in to them. I explained the situation and told them the 5 in 1 was non functional and asked if I could send them just the 5 in 1 instead for exchange. That is when they informed me that they were only going to diagnose the heli if I sent it in and not actually replace any parts and that my warranty only covered it being free from defects on the day of purchase. I asked about a warranty on the electronics and was informed that there wasn't one and that I should buy a new board. Is this the case with Blade? I have never encountered an RC manufacturer that doesn't have ANY warranty on their product past the initial 5 minutes after the box is opened.

If that proves to be the case I am sorry I bought the family new helis last week as everyone loved my MCX2 and 120 SR. Also if they don't have a warranty past the first day can someone recommend a company that stands behind their products a little better? I like Blades products but I am not paying to replace their defective parts due to poor QC.
rallykid is offline Find More Posts by rallykid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallykid View Post
I am curious about Blades warranty since I was told on the phone just now that they have none. I have a 1 1/2 month old MCX2 with a bad 5 in 1 so I called blade. They told me to package the helicopter up and send it in to them. I explained the situation and told them the 5 in 1 was non functional and asked if I could send them just the 5 in 1 instead for exchange. That is when they informed me that they were only going to diagnose the heli if I sent it in and not actually replace any parts and that my warranty only covered it being free from defects on the day of purchase. I asked about a warranty on the electronics and was informed that there wasn't one and that I should buy a new board. Is this the case with Blade? I have never encountered an RC manufacturer that doesn't have ANY warranty on their product past the initial 5 minutes after the box is opened.

If that proves to be the case I am sorry I bought the family new helis last week as everyone loved my MCX2 and 120 SR. Also if they don't have a warranty past the first day can someone recommend a company that stands behind their products a little better? I like Blades products but I am not paying to replace their defective parts due to poor QC.
When you say you contacted Blade, are you meaning Horizon Hobbies? They normally do want one to send back the complete model when it is that new. They will check it out, and if they find the 5 in 1 is defective they will normally send you a complete new model. Horizon Hobbies is normally very good at standing behind their products, so if they suggest you send them your model, then that's what you should do. You will have to pay for the shipping, but they will ship the new replacement model back to you for free.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
That is what I thought too but they informed me that even if I send it to them that all they are going to do is diagnose it and not repair or replace it. He advised if I knew it was the board to just buy a new board because I would be sending it to them for no reason.

Edit: and yes, I meant I contacted HH.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
I'd call again

Maybe you just go a bad rep!
I have had nothing but great service from Horizon Hobbies.
If the 5-1 is bad they will look after it for you.
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
I thought that may be the situation as well so I called back and talked to someone else to verify. I was given the same information as the first call and told I should just buy a 5 in 1. The surge and shake isn't as noticeable if I run a heavy body so I am just going to use it like that until it dies, scrap it for parts and start researching different brands to see if there are better options. If I broke a frame or something I can understand not getting warranty service but for an electronic part to fail out of nowhere and them basically telling me to go pound sand is bad customer service and bad company practice. I have never heard of an electronic part not having at least a 90 day warranty. It is obviously a defect for it to have output issues to the motors with no damage and doing the same thing with brand new motors out of the package with factory batteries.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:
I thought that may be the situation as well so I called back and talked to someone else to verify. I was given the same information as the first call and told I should just buy a 5 in 1. The surge and shake isn't as noticeable if I run a heavy body so I am just going to use it like that until it dies, scrap it for parts and start researching different brands to see if there are better options. If I broke a frame or something I can understand not getting warranty service but for an electronic part to fail out of nowhere and them basically telling me to go pound sand is bad customer service and bad company practice. I have never heard of an electronic part not having at least a 90 day warranty. It is obviously a defect for it to have output issues to the motors with no damage and doing the same thing with brand new motors out of the package with factory batteries.
If your problem is that the helicopter is shaking, it's probably not the 5 in 1 unit. I don't know exactly what you mean by surge, are the motors stopping and starting?, slowing down then speeding up? Shaking is normally from something that is bent or out of balance. Such as bent shafts, gears missing teeth, bent flybar, poor blade tracking, and unbalanced blades. It sounds like you are able to fly the helicopter, so maybe if you can describe a little more in detail of what's happening, then some of us may be able to help.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I know of no manufacturer who will warranty an RC product that fails 6 weeks after it was purchased.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
The helicopter is shaking due to the motors surging. With the motors out of the helicopter so the gears are not engaged you can throttle up the heli and the motors sound fine. When you give left or right rudder the motors drastically raise and lower RPM with steady throttle. That is what I meant by surging.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I know of no manufacturer who will warranty an RC product that fails 6 weeks after it was purchased.
I have had 2 speed controls replaced over the years in my RC cars that were replaced by the manufacturer at no charge. One was 4 months old and one was 6 1/2 months old. Other than a bad board out of the box on a 120SR those are the only other electronic failures I have had and they were well past day 1.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:39 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:
The helicopter is shaking due to the motors surging. With the motors out of the helicopter so the gears are not engaged you can throttle up the heli and the motors sound fine. When you give left or right rudder the motors drastically raise and lower RPM with steady throttle. That is what I meant by surging.
If the motors are working fine when they are not engaged with the gears, then it could be friction that is causing the problem. Check to make sure nothing is binding on both upper and lower rotors. Also it wouldn't hurt to check the gear mesh between the pinions and rotor gears.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
If the motors are working fine when they are not engaged with the gears, then it could be friction that is causing the problem. Check to make sure nothing is binding on both upper and lower rotors. Also it wouldn't hurt to check the gear mesh between the pinions and rotor gears.
No, they are not. With the motors completely removed from the heli so they are not engaging anything and you give it rudder in either direction the motors start drastically increasing and decreasing RPM even with steady throttle.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:20 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:
No, they are not. With the motors completely removed from the heli so they are not engaging anything and you give it rudder in either direction the motors start drastically increasing and decreasing RPM even with steady throttle.
ah, got ya! Yeah, that does sound like a speed controller issue.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:02 AM
Covered in balsa since 2011
United States, WA, Anacortes
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
What other company besides blade doesn't warranty past 6 weeks of purchase? I don't want to buy from them either. I was just about to go buy an msrx today, but I don't think I will based on this info. I have had several electronics go bad over the years, and had no problem getting them replaced/repaired at no charge, or if they were too far gone, they would at least give me a trade in discount. I know there are several devils advocates out there, but lets face it, this is ridiculous, and if it happened to any one of you, you'd be calling hh for a new board too.

Edit: I called Horizon Hobby, because I wanted to know if there actually was any manufacturers warranty on blade. They said not past opening the box, so I asked why? They said, actually if it stops working within a few minutes of use, that they wanted you to send it in. The reason they ask this is because alot of beginner pilots (whether buying an mcx2, or the people who buy a blade 400 for their first heli) only know full throttle, or no throttle, and if you were to just send the board in, they don't know if you flew it into a ceiling fan right out of the box. I can almost guarantee you that if your heli actually looks 5 minutes old, they'll replace your board for you. They told me that, and that actually makes a lot of sense. I will be buying a blade heli after all. So yes I stand corrected... Horizon has always been pretty good about replacing things though
mbsilvia is offline Find More Posts by mbsilvia
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mbsilvia; Aug 01, 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: called horizon hobby