New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by PorterB
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined May 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
Durable Matte Finish?

I'm working on finishing the paint job of my Metcalf Mouldings Moonbeam (http://business.virgin.net/metcalf.m.../catalogue.htm) pond yacht.

The hull is all painted over and is ready for it's clear coat.

I have worked a lot with spray paints and am very comfortable with them. Here is my dilemma and I am hoping that I can get some good advice or input from the forum. I know that matte finish looks great on a scale sailboat and results in a more realistic looking model. However, most spray paints that are nice and durable have one or two drawbacks:

1.) they cause yellowing or ambering, either right away or over time--no good, as I have a white waterline painted on.

2.) they are gloss! far too shiny.

So, my question is: how do you create a durable but not too shiny (e.g. matte) finish for your scale sailboat? Thank you in advance!
PorterB is offline Find More Posts by PorterB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2015, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterB View Post
I'm working on finishing the paint job of my Metcalf Mouldings Moonbeam (http://business.virgin.net/metcalf.m.../catalogue.htm) pond yacht.

The hull is all painted over and is ready for it's clear coat.

I have worked a lot with spray paints and am very comfortable with them. Here is my dilemma and I am hoping that I can get some good advice or input from the forum. I know that matte finish looks great on a scale sailboat and results in a more realistic looking model. However, most spray paints that are nice and durable have one or two drawbacks:

1.) they cause yellowing or ambering, either right away or over time--no good, as I have a white waterline painted on.

2.) they are gloss! far too shiny.

So, my question is: how do you create a durable but not too shiny (e.g. matte) finish for your scale sailboat? Thank you in advance!
I have used Krylon Clear Flat #53530 and it's great. Be sure to get that specific product number because they have various clear matte and flat products (for art projects, UV resistant coating, etc.)
I used it on Syren deck, hull, rigging etc, on RC tanks, tugboats, etc. and it is tough as nails and doesn't yellow. Syren has been sailed for over 5 years now, has been transported extensively and shows no paint failure or wear.
I tried Rustoleum (slow drying, runs, less flat appearance), Testors Dullcoat (not tough enough for sailing models), and a paint-on artist acrylic clear coat (uneven coating - I can't brush paint), and Krylon is the best of those.
Pointers: shake the can a really long time to get the flattening pigment well mixed, apply in light coats and apply in low humidity. If too heavy a coat or if applied in high humidity, the coat will look hazy/cloudy. But that will eventually go away (week or so). Best to avoid it. Also, shake the can often when painting.
I also usually warm the can in warm water - seems to spray better.
http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-53530-A.../dp/B001C42OXY
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by yancovitch
Joined Oct 2006
894 Posts
guess that's an acrylic spray......does it lift the wood grain?....does it come in satin?....always was afraid of acrylic etc, cause it may warp the wood, being water based.......have a model i'm working on, single planked and a bit thin in places, and was going to use wipe on poly by minwax, but wasn't sure if it yellowed.....using pearwood, and i didn't wish to use tung oil or whatever, because it darkens the wood and exaggerates tha grain....need a good protection which can avoid this...any ideas?
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,483 Posts
Krylon is definitely not a water based acrylic. Has volatile petroleum solvents...dries in minutes. Actually responds badly to high humidity and any dampnes on the surface being painted. Much of the wood I used was walnut, aspen and some oak. Never had any raised grain issues.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:45 AM
Joined Oct 2006
894 Posts
guess i'll try to find some....got to satisfy my curiosity...thanks dan...............may have to order online if possible.......your link won't ship to canada....
Last edited by yancovitch; Jan 14, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
894 Posts
in fact i can't get this in canada at all...........sheesh!.....
Old Jan 13, 2015, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,770 Posts
Don't they have Lowes or Home Despot in Canaydia? Any "big box" hardware supply should carry it. There's always Rustolium too.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jan 13, 2015, 09:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
894 Posts
called the horses mouth...rustoleum....they don't ship this to canada..........guess i will stick with the minwax poly wipe....
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,770 Posts
They have to have some sort of oil-based spray paint up there - how's the gangsta's gonna tag all the buildings otherwise?
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jan 14, 2015, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by Bruceter123
Joined Jun 2014
29 Posts
yancovich, did you try Canadian Tire. I'm pretty sure they have it there.

Bruce
Bruceter123 is offline Find More Posts by Bruceter123
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
894 Posts
they have some gloss clear, but dan was quite specific......i've decided to stick with minwax wipe on poly satin...........thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by PorterB
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined May 2014
5 Posts
Hi guys! My apologies for not responding earlier. I had assumed that the forum was going to notify me when a reply had been posted.

Long story short, I am going to try again. I had finished painting the Moonbeam, but after letting the clear coat sit and dry for a week, I then put it on it's stand, which was well protected with felt. After sitting on the stand for a day, I took it off and to my horror, saw that there were marks and creases on the hull where it was in contact with the stand! It was like the paint underneath the clear coat was sliding around and was not hard. Not sure what to think of this. I can only think that I must have put on too thick of a coat of paint and then not let it dry for long enough.

So today, I stripped it bare and am restarting again, this time with thin coats and longer drying times inbetween. Wish me luck, I'll post pictures when she's done!
PorterB is offline Find More Posts by PorterB