SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by flitelab
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,823 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Dead Cat Conversion Kit for the SK450 frame Overview

I started a general overview and build of the HobbyKing Dead Cat Conversion Kit for the SK450 frame.

Some initial pics and link to more info and pics:
http://www.flitelab.com/Reviews/Dead...0Overview.aspx

The frame comes packaged in a large zip lock bag and is composed of the two plates and the hardware kit fir the front turnbuckles. It should be noted that a complete SK450 frame kit is required to make use of this upgrade.

Considering the price of the SK450 kit compared to this upgrade and what you get with it, it seems a bit overpriced, however in the big scheme of things you are still only talking around $37 for a complete frame in the end.

The quality of the plates are pretty good, well cut with no sharp edges, scratches, or misaligned holes. The G10 does seem a bit flexible although once assembled the frame seems fairly stuff overall.

The build goes together much the same as the SK450, simply screw on the 4 arms to the 2 plates. The turnbuckles then attach to the front via ball links to act as added support for the camera area. I chose to mount back ball links on the upper surface instead if the lower side as shown on the product page, thinking the angle would give it a bit more strength and hold. I'm not convinced this is going to provide a solid vibration free setup however, as it still has some flex and the turnbuckle linkages may cause some vibration since they are not a solid connection.

Assembled as per the product page the total weight was 432g, lighter than advertised at 460g.

As with the SK450, it does not seem to include mounting holes for any known
common controller layouts, so you will need to either drill your own or use another means (Velcro, double sided foam tape, etc) to attach the flight controller.

The assembled frame is larger large in regards to the plates, compared to some other spyder style frames, which makes it easy for mounting gear but may add more profile that could be impacted by wind. Plenty of room between the two plates for ESCs and wiring harness or distribution board, and possibly a flight controller depending on its size and wiring layout.

More to follow as build progresses....

flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by Photoship One
by Alary Design
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2002
1,816 Posts
Interesting!

I foresee many neighborhood 'lost cat' signs to be posted soon!
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:45 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,713 Posts
Does the arm mounting holes layout accommodate the DJI clones arms ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Does the arm mounting holes layout accommodate the DJI clones arms ?
Don't think so as they have different pattern and spacing. Ill check later to see if it would be possible to drill to fit them.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by stheo
Théo Weidgenannt
Joined Nov 2007
32 Posts
Thank you.
Bob.
stheo is offline Find More Posts by stheo
Last edited by stheo; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:08 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stheo View Post
Hi,
I already have this frame but I need some help to mount the flight controller. Where is the CG of this frame? where is the best place to fit the controller?

Thank you.
Bob.
Just draw a diagonal line between the motors and that will be the center point. It generally isn't critical to be exactly at the CG for the flight controller.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by VytasandRio
Joined Nov 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Just draw a diagonal line between the motors and that will be the center point. It generally isn't critical to be exactly at the CG for the flight controller.
Wouldn't that be the center of lift as opposed to the center of mass? In my small understanding the two should be as close as possible and the FC should be mounted there as well, is this correct? Anyway I really do believe that the two are different things with different effects upon flight characteristics.
VytasandRio is offline Find More Posts by VytasandRio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:29 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,823 Posts
It is probably "close enough" regardless.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by MCrites
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
me-OWWWW
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by stheo
Théo Weidgenannt
Joined Nov 2007
32 Posts
Thank you Flitelab,
Can you show some pictures when is done?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,823 Posts
Will do, I have the build done I just need to post some new pictures when I can get time.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by VytasandRio
Joined Nov 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
It is probably "close enough" regardless.
As regards the questioner, you are right: in his case it is indeed no big deal, but not knowing the difference between Center of Gravity and Center of Lift will get you killed real fast in the world of real rotary wing aircraft. I dont believe that the physics works differently in smaller ones and I cannot see why one would not want to impart accurate information.

Why not take the time to respond with accurate info as opposed to being "close enough"? Due to your many builds here lot of folks look to you for guidance and knowledge, myself included, it would be a shame if you settled for giving incomplete answers when a few seconds more at the keyboard would have explained the whole thing.
VytasandRio is offline Find More Posts by VytasandRio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by vartaz
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
I have this same frame and im having some problems it seems as my flight controller dont understand this frame type if has problems being stable and seems to yaw alot, men where it flew perfect with the same setup but the normal frame. Any ideas? I was plantning using it for ap.
Edit im using kk 2.0 1.5
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VytasandRio View Post
As regards the questioner, you are right: in his case it is indeed no big deal, but not knowing the difference between Center of Gravity and Center of Lift will get you killed real fast in the world of real rotary wing aircraft. I dont believe that the physics works differently in smaller ones and I cannot see why one would not want to impart accurate information.

Why not take the time to respond with accurate info as opposed to being "close enough"? Due to your many builds here lot of folks look to you for guidance and knowledge, myself included, it would be a shame if you settled for giving incomplete answers when a few seconds more at the keyboard would have explained the whole thing.
Mainly because I only had a few minutes and I have no exact answer on this frame. End of the day the layout is not going to move the point a large amount in any direction. How many people take into account the position of the actual gyros on the board itself, which could move the point as much as this would? Most boards will function fine without being at the center of cg and/or lift in my experience to date.

Sorry for giving a quick less than perfect answer on this.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by stheo
Théo Weidgenannt
Joined Nov 2007
32 Posts
Hi,
If I draw a diagonal line between the motors, the center will be like this:

If this is right, why is so close to the battery place? I´ts look to far from the center, to me..

Thanks!
Bob.