gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
25,408 Posts
J250DD "Mini-Horten"...

Ok, guys ... inspired by Jerbears' Simple Wing , I came UP with the Mini-Horten as a sorta' scale alternative...really easy to build ... pretty hot flyer ... no airfoil , no dihedral , j250 with flux ring and 3x3 prop ...2/1200 lipos ...put Grandma in the car when you fly this one ... responsive...

I just sent HIPPO the plans at FoamFly and he should have them UP in the gallery soon , I had all sorts of trouble posting them so I just sent them to him .... as soon as we get a link we can post it here... Have FUN !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Feb 02, 2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: adding plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by jimsky
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,887 Posts
gpw,
Very cool. Look simple, cheap and fun...just what a Bluecor foamie is supose to be. Those German engineers were years ahead of their time. Where did you get the Iron Cross decals?

Mid motor mount, that's a nice twist. You may have lured me out of my self inflicted "no more building" promise. Now that I added an Optic to my radio collection , I've got an empty Flash4X to play with.

If you want to up fun on the J250, but don't want to deal with the hassle & weight of a real prop adapter (those rubber things just don't work) try a 4X3 (100mm X 80mm) Hobby Electronics dark orange "twisty" prop. Flexible (un-breakable) plastic and they fit on an EDP50 shaft. A quick drill out, and they fit on a J250 shaft with no adapter needed. Balsa Products carry the prop, for 80 cents each. A very wild prop indeed.

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/prope...LargeImage=yes

Thanks again for your never ending Bluecor inspired creativity.

Jimsky
jimsky is online now Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:35 PM
JAM
Find More Posts by JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
GPW nice job, I'm gonna add that one to my J250 file for future bashing. Keep up the good work. If you have a cad of it I'd be interested. PM me if you do.

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by low down and dry
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Nov 2004
82 Posts
gpw,
I love Hortens. Anxious to put blue foam, J250, gws 4x2.5 and 4 gm servos to work as soon as possible. Awaiting plans.

Thank you for the thread.
low down and dry is offline Find More Posts by low down and dry
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by AKACully
Can't build them all!
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
GPW,

Looking forward to the link for the plans.

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully is offline Find More Posts by AKACully
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:32 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,408 Posts
Oops!!!!!

I just noticed that I drew the tongue depresser motor mount on backwards with the rounded end towards the prop opening .... MY DUMB!!!!... Picture indicates the correct motor mount layout ....
Thanks for the prop tip .... I'll order a few asap....3x3 is rather "slippy"

just talked to HIPPO and he said he'd have the plans UP this AM.... Cool!!! You can print out the plans on some index card stock and you'll have instant templates .... I'd suggest cutting out a few ,cause OFB's will want one once they've seen yours fly ..... and I have a backUP....hahahaha...hot little wing!!!.....hahahaha
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by jimsky
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,887 Posts
Yahoo, it's up at FoamFly.

http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/Mini-Horten

Looks like I'll be cutting some Bluecor tonight.

Jimsky
jimsky is online now Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Dec 30, 2004, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by AKACully
Can't build them all!
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
Got it!!!!! Thanks

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully is offline Find More Posts by AKACully
Old Dec 31, 2004, 07:01 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,408 Posts
j/sky ... thanks for the link .... iron cross decals are actually black Sharpie ,hand scrawled... and by the way , the blue tape is Scotch masking tape ... slightly reinforces edges (keeps the skin from peeling on the edge), and after a few days becomes permanent ...don't get carried away with anything that adds weight though ....

I wonder what a cd motor would do on here ....????I think it would fly with an ips A motor (if kept light) much , much slower though ....
You guys have FUN !!!!
Old Jan 01, 2005, 02:58 PM
Ack
Find More Posts by Ack
Ack
Independence, MO
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
Waiting for Balsa Products order...

GPW:

Thanks for the opportunity to build the Mini Horton!

I have a construction question: (the answer may be obvious, but I thought I'd ask in hopes that others who are wondering could be informed)

Do the wings butt together? Or are they attached to the sides of the "keel"? I noticed that you either drew in the wing profile or a "tab" line on the drawing. One picture looks like they are butted together, another picture looks like the wings are glued to the keel.

I ordered the HE props from Balsa Products along with a few other items that escaped my notice from the last order... I wish the LHS was closer and better-stocked!

Again, Thanks!

Ack
Ack is offline Find More Posts by Ack
Old Jan 02, 2005, 11:07 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,408 Posts
Ack... the wing is one piece of foam , flat with no dihedral ... it butt glues to the fuse(keel) ... I only show half the wing on the plan to save space...I usually make a half template as shown ... draw one half , flip it over and draw the other half... cut it out as one piece...OK!!!

why are hobby shops so far away ????
Old Jan 02, 2005, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by low down and dry
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Nov 2004
82 Posts
gpw

Finished building the wing today. Some how I missed the C.G. location. Will the leading edge in line with the rudder/fin be close. If any one is interested and I can figure out how to send them, PDF file of crosses and Horton logo are avaliable.
low down and dry is offline Find More Posts by low down and dry
Old Jan 03, 2005, 07:29 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,408 Posts
LD&D... in the picture on the bottom , the motor close -UP, you'll see a little green dot in front of the tongue depressor motor mount ... that's the CG , rather small but it works...
It's rather easy to figure the cg on these wings ,or come close ... simply go halfway out between the root and the tip , find 33% from the le do the same for the other side of the wing .... connect the two marks ,and where the line runs through the fuse , that's where the CG is ... or at least a good place as any to start .... some adjustment may be necessary to suit particular flying styles...
Last edited by gpw; Jan 03, 2005 at 07:32 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2005, 07:36 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,408 Posts
Any Horten logos or IC pics would be greatly appreciated....we could print them out , give em' a coat of clear Krylon and glue them directly to the foam .... COOL!!!! much better'n those hand drawn Sharpie things...little heavier though ...try putting em' UP here ... that may work ... Thanks !!!
Old Jan 03, 2005, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by miniman
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
Cool little plane! Is the J250 the same as the DCM-189 and what part of the motor is the flux ring?
Thanks for another project.
Andy
miniman is offline Find More Posts by miniman