New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2015, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Joined Mar 2007
1,714 Posts
Discussion
Making some lightweight floats.

I have a vintage model which I've a mind to put on the water.

It has a glow engine, but I'll swap that out for electric ... 'cos of the noise-sensitive site from which I intend to fly.

But, I need to make some floats.

I fancy using some blue foam, with a couple of wooden hardpoints let in, to facilitate the mounting. However, I'd like to apply a finish to the foam, such that it can be painted.

How do you chaps approach the problem of covering or sealing blue foam? Looking for simple and light of weight.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2015, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by scale_only
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
4,171 Posts
Light cloth and water based polyurethane or epoxy.

look here for how I made these if you like

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seap...er-set-up.html
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Nov 03, 2015, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Joined Mar 2007
1,714 Posts
The polyurethane stuff didn't seem to work too well.

I could get some thin epoxy ... I have loads of cloth, somewhere.

That old-fashioned float design is exactly what I'm aiming to use on my own model.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Nov 04, 2015, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by scale_only
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
4,171 Posts
That post in the thread is misleading,, It worked OK,, just not with the latex paint over it, if I had given it more time to full cure, then the latex paint probably would have bonded correctly. Epoxy dries/cures faster for sure.

good luck
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by jonesymj
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
861 Posts
Bogbeagle: scale_only is right... Water based polyurethane over glass cloth works wonderfully. It doesn't cure quite as hard as Epoxy, but very close. And it cleans up with water, and the fumes don't p!$$ off the wife lol. I have the same thing on the float/hulls of all my waterplanes... Food for thought
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj