Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:30 AM
E_T
Find More Posts by E_T
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
Discussion
DJI customer service?

Is it really as bad as people are saying? I read many reviews on Amazon stating that the service is just plain awful. I'm thinking of getting a Phantom someday, but when I heat this kind of thing, it makes me very leery.
E_T is offline Find More Posts by E_T
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by craigiri
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2012
3,860 Posts
It probably is as bad as people say.

Here is the good news. Play your cards right and you won't need their service. The vast majority of current customers do not.

The other piece of good news is that DJI is slowly ramping up their service capabilities. It's just a matter of time - they know they have to do better if they want to be the leader...
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by jetbootz
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,100 Posts
HAHAHAHAHHAA!
Utterly utterly terrible
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Aug 29, 2014, 02:32 AM
Find More Posts by Skunky
Lethargic Nincompoop
United States, CA, El Segundo
Joined Jul 2014
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_T View Post
Is it really as bad as people are saying? I read many reviews on Amazon stating that the service is just plain awful. I'm thinking of getting a Phantom someday, but when I heat this kind of thing, it makes me very leery.

The help here from DJI Rep's seems adequate to me. I have also called DJI USA a few times.. If I call to early in the day I get the "too many calls, call back later"

I don't call for tech support though. mostly feature requests and compatibility checks, etc

Those reviews on amazon are at least 95% user error reviews.

I've crashed my P2 at least 25 times.. I've had to replace a GPH3+ black once (broke HDMI connector, replaced free via warranty) and one prop. The P2 is like a tank.. it still looks brand new..

I've run it into my house, wall, tree, my boat, the ground, my car, lawn furniture, flipped when landing. and whatever else you can think of.. well no moving car or power line yet.. takes a licking and keeps on ticking! Can't learn a thing if you don't get hands on experience and make mistakes.

I did learn a lesson and I took off the H3-3D and LightBridge..

Man, starting in manual mode with the left stick at half position was a thrill! Took a bit to figure that one out.. CSC, TAKE OFF!!!

Now I'm pretty much NAZA Mode-Atti (non-GPS)-Course Lock only.

Dave
Skunky is offline Find More Posts by Skunky
Last edited by Skunky; Aug 29, 2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by DCIV
Joined Mar 2014
170 Posts
They complain about the customer service but I don't think any maker has any better, if they have them at all.
DCIV is offline Find More Posts by DCIV
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:44 AM
E_T
Find More Posts by E_T
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
I hope they get better, but nowadays when I have to call any company's customer service dept, most of the time they are clueless, so I guess this isn't too surprising. I will probably just suck it up and get the Phantom anyway. From what I've read, it seems to be one of the top drones available for the price.

I ordered a Blade nano, so I'm going to practice with that for a while and maybe take the plunge.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by TDMusic
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2014
170 Posts
Quote:
I hope they get better, but nowadays when I have to call any company's customer service dept, most of the time they are clueless, so I guess this isn't too surprising. I will probably just suck it up and get the Phantom anyway. From what I've read, it seems to be one of the top drones available for the price.

I ordered a Blade nano, so I'm going to practice with that for a while and maybe take the plunge.
Careful, calling it a drone upsets some people! I'm looking to invest in a Phantom FC40
TDMusic is offline Find More Posts by TDMusic
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:12 AM
E_T
Find More Posts by E_T
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
I'll just stick with quad then, and not mention the D word. I'm still learning the lingo.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:23 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2014
170 Posts
Quote:
I'll just stick with quad then, and not mention the D word. I'm still learning the lingo.
What quad are you looking into?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:44 PM
E_T
Find More Posts by E_T
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMusic View Post
What quad are you looking into?
I was thinking of just doing the Vision 2+ since it's all-in-one. I'll probably play with the Nano QX for a while until I feel comfortable flying it.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by craigiri
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2012
3,860 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking of just doing the Vision 2+ since it's all-in-one. I'll probably play with the Nano QX for a while until I feel comfortable flying it.
Not a bad idea to step up to a plain Phantom 1 or FC40 and then to the Vision +.....depends on your patience. You will learn a lot putting in dozens of flights on the better behaving models (Vision + is very heavy and will cost you big if you hit the cam with something).....

Although this may sound costly, it's probably cheaper in the long run for a few reasons. First, the money spent is not wasted - you can likely sell a used model for only a loss of $100-$150. Secondly, many people keep them as a backup and for specific uses such as still photography (I use mine with a Canon S100 for stills). Last, you will gain skills which will likely save you big when you get the Vision +.

I'm wishing that DJI offers a slightly enhanced Vision+ in the next couple of months - something with small improvements such as better protection of the camera, better flight feel (as I said, the existing one feels heavy), etc...

Maybe it will be a totally new model - perhaps they've gotten the max out of the Phantom platform.
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:53 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2014
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not a bad idea to step up to a plain Phantom 1 or FC40 and then to the Vision +.....depends on your patience. You will learn a lot putting in dozens of flights on the better behaving models (Vision + is very heavy and will cost you big if you hit the cam with something).....

Although this may sound costly, it's probably cheaper in the long run for a few reasons. First, the money spent is not wasted - you can likely sell a used model for only a loss of $100-$150. Secondly, many people keep them as a backup and for specific uses such as still photography (I use mine with a Canon S100 for stills). Last, you will gain skills which will likely save you big when you get the Vision +.

I'm wishing that DJI offers a slightly enhanced Vision+ in the next couple of months - something with small improvements such as better protection of the camera, better flight feel (as I said, the existing one feels heavy), etc...

Maybe it will be a totally new model - perhaps they've gotten the max out of the Phantom platform.
This is what i want to do, i have just grabbed myself a FC40
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
15,152 Posts
Guys we are always trying to improve the customer experience. LA has doubled their staff and we have added Phantom service centers in the US and World wide. Please listen to the entire VRU before you select an option. Just because you live in the west does not mean that the Phantom center can help you with your prior RMA or service request. Just an FYI to those in the west and else where.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 01, 2014, 12:02 PM
E_T
Find More Posts by E_T
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Guys we are always trying to improve the customer experience. LA has doubled their staff and we have added Phantom service centers in the US and World wide. Please listen to the entire VRU before you select an option. Just because you live in the west does not mean that the Phantom center can help you with your prior RMA or service request. Just an FYI to those in the west and else where.
Thanks. It's always good to see sponsors active on the forums. I'm looking forward to picking up a Phantom in the near future
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by opwan
Joined Jan 2011
203 Posts
Just build a 650 size machine and you will be a lot happier. I've had every Phantom. The Vision+ is lacking a little in video quality and the gimbal is weak and parts are pricey. The Phantom2 with Zenmuse gimbal is better but you have a little more expense in FPV gear. The FC 40 isn't even close for video. For about $2,000 you can build a Tarot 650 with gimbal on a rail system, no props in the shot, and FPV through the GoPro. Don't forget the mini IOSD because you will lose orientation sooner or later. And because flying your quad way the heck out there is a lot more relaxing when you have an on screen compass to get back home. Yea I know there is home lock mode, but trust me the on screen display for $69 is a no brainier. Been the Phantom route, nice product and had a blast but the 650 with Naza is a dream to fly, 36 minutes flight time with a 6 cell 10,000 mah battery and that's night flying with LEDs full bore! And I have a few! By the way, I had good luck with DJI customer support.
opwan is offline Find More Posts by opwan