Old Jan 27, 2016, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by dteel
Please call me Dana
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
4,165 Posts
Thought I'd show the progress I've made so far on Forza 450 #2.

The first picture shows how I mounted the necessary electronics. All the servo wires are cut to length. The only wire still wound up is the satellite wire as I had no pins so could not cut it to length. A small dab of hot glue keeps the satellite Rx wires out of harms way.

The second picture show how I mounted the Lemon Diversity Antenna DSMX Satellite Receiver. This is not a full diversity receiver, only the antennas are diversity. A circuit in the receiver detects which antenna has the stronger signal and uses that antenna. Yes, that is a coffee stir stick keeping the antennas positioned.

dteel is offline Find More Posts by dteel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2016, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,142 Posts
Looks good nice and tidy. Hope it flys well.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 29, 2016, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Newbie RC'r and member
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
Is this heli more expensive to crash than its counterparts? That's what I heard anyways when I asked for advice on a first build.
felixthemaster is online now Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Old Jan 29, 2016, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by burbler
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Nov 2004
269 Posts
I would say the opposite, the only constant in a crash seems to be stripping the original servo's gears which is a bit of a PITA to change (although it becomes easier after a couple of times), however I have not had a heli that did not do this anyway.

I have a complete spare heli (minus the electrics) in the cupboard and when I crash simply replace the part or parts and the order from RCJapan and replace in the spare kit.

In the many hundreds of flights (and maybe 5-10 crashes) I have only had to replace 1 main shaft, 1 main gear, several blades, many servo gears and that is about it. The fuselage and tail cover on my bird are looking a little worse for wear and I will probably change these over shortly.

Very robust and crash resistant heli IMO.
burbler is offline Find More Posts by burbler
Old Jan 29, 2016, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Two helis flying
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
8,026 Posts
+1 - the Forza stands up really well to crashes.

I've bent a feathering spindle, but my mainshaft and tailshaft have survived a few crashes. The mainshaft is 6mm, and very short, and the tailshaft is 4mm, so they are significantly more robust than the shafts found on older 450's. I stripped the gears on one of the KST115's, and the canopy, which is nice and thick, and offers good protection to the frames, has a few nicks. The skids break, and they can also break the plastic skid mounts. The metal skid mounts are probably a worthwhile upgrade. I'm currently using 450 skids instead, which give the Forza a lower stance.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Jan 29, 2016, 06:26 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
Can they not take those break away horns? Metal horns seem like a bad idea.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by dteel
Please call me Dana
Joined Mar 2014
4,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthemaster View Post
Can they not take those break away horns? Metal horns seem like a bad idea.
Is this a rhetorical question?

Note the plastic servo horns in the pictures I posted.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:36 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
I see, the build video i saw had metal ones.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Australia
Joined May 2008
145 Posts
Had the BEST day. Finally had my mate Hamish Scott fly my 6s Forza EX in the way it should be flown. (6s 1300mAh, 14 tooth jr pinion, Align 360mm Hobbywing esc governor enabled)

Our flying group had 2 Forza 450 EX's a Forza 700 and Hamish's new Forza 700 speed.

Special thanks to Modelflight shop Australia, obviously the ridiculously talented Hamish Scott on the sticks and Olie for the video capture. I live for days like this.

Hamish Scott - JR Forza 450EX (3 min 55 sec)

Hamish Scott - JR Forza 700 Speed (4 min 3 sec)
3Dehover is offline Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by dteel
Please call me Dana
Joined Mar 2014
4,165 Posts
It sure is a lot easier to see the 700 in the video than the 450!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:53 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,142 Posts
The biggest heli I have seen up close and flown by friend was a 600 sized. He had a streched 500 also and Gaui X-3. The X-3 is 450 size and seemed small. I have seen a nitro heli the size of 700 but have not seen it fly.
450 size are fine and compact big heli. At least for me. My Forza when done will be my hi-end bird.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by magic_marty
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,524 Posts
I learned to fly on a large nitro heli it was a kyosho concept30 , had a Webra 32 red head nitro motor with tuned pipe..At a 45'' rotor diameter (1160mm) it was a monster compared to a 450 size...Was fun to fly and surprisingly easy once you got it moving forward it was a lot like flying a plane i thought..
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:51 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,142 Posts
Last RC contest/ Swap meet there was a line of Nitro helis for sale. Sever fading of canopies sign pretty old. To be honest if I was offered a nitro bird free I woul;d decline.
Birds like Forza 450/ Gaui X-3/ Align Dominator are dandy. Yes bigger are better to a point.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Australia
Joined May 2008
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel View Post
Thought I'd show the progress I've made so far on Forza 450 #2.

The first picture shows how I mounted the necessary electronics. All the servo wires are cut to length. The only wire still wound up is the satellite wire as I had no pins so could not cut it to length. A small dab of hot glue keeps the satellite Rx wires out of harms way.

The second picture show how I mounted the Lemon Diversity Antenna DSMX Satellite Receiver. This is not a full diversity receiver, only the antennas are diversity. A circuit in the receiver detects which antenna has the stronger signal and uses that antenna. Yes, that is a coffee stir stick keeping the antennas positioned.

Hi so great your building what i think is the best flying 450 out there. Sorry if my posts of my mate Hamish Scott flying this 450 JR 450 6sEX are maybe not that helpful to someone setting one of these helis up? i am an average 3D heli flyer and am lucky to know Hamish Scott for around 10 years, so he has helped me progress into flying helis a lot better. i finally flew his 700 which was a lot of fun with his help.

I would like to share my day. My mate Zac gave me the JR Propo Forza 450 carry bag that fits the Forza 450EX, DX18 and 10 6s 1300mAh packs with room for so much more stuff from Modelflight Australia. Also he gave me some Switch 353mm blades to try out...legend.

I put a stock JR 6s 1700kV motor in my old 3s 450 Forza, 14 tooth JR pinion, Castle Edge Lite 50, set rpm governor, Align 360mm and stock JR Forza EX longer tail blades. Running on 1300mAh 6s with the stock 3s canopy!!!! It does truly fit, bit tight with the 1300mAh 6s. 3 very experienced heli flyers saw it fly, it was very windy but we all seriously have never seen seen a 450 fly soooo fast. No bogging at all with whatever i threw at it. Awesome result. Obviously ticktocks hurricances blaa blaa were awesome.

Myself and more importantly Hamish Scott are very happy to help out all JR owners so if you think we can help let us know.
3Dehover is offline Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,138 Posts
I'm no 3D pilot, but sure enjoy the finesse of this heli. Handles great and I am able to throw it around pretty well. Some day I'll see about big sky loops with it, but that will be the extent of fancy flying.
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14