Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:49 AM
Find More Posts by specgie
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
142 Posts
Discussion
Hubsan X4 Hybrids

Out of sheer curiousity and boredom (and not being happy with a stab at the mqx/ladybird hybrid) i decided to try the hubsan board on a ladybird frame. And oh my goodness, what do you know she flies super stable and smooth much like her original form but yet with more authority and ability to be more agile. Punchout is much better and yaw rates have drastically improved(yes even faster than stock). If you have an opportunity to try it, PLEASE GO FOR IT! As much as i loooove the original x4, methinks i need to buy another rx board or kit in order to get my original sized hubsan back. Board is hot glued in place. Motor assemblies are actually from the udirc u816. Surprisingly super quiet, can only hear faint pwm frequencies. Will hopefully get a vid up soon.
specgie is online now Find More Posts by specgie
Last edited by specgie; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:41 AM
Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
United States, SD, Custer
Joined Feb 2011
6,483 Posts
Nice!
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: MassiveRC ZMR PDB
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:52 AM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
142 Posts

Just updating my post with my recent successful and fun experiments with the hubsan x4 board. As you can tell, I love the hubsan x4's flight characteristics

First up, just an updated look to my UDI(ladybird) x4 hybrid. Super stable smooth flyer.

Then, next up my second hubsan hybrid, same size as X4, and a cut-down modified and lightened version of the UDI frame. Super zippy flyer, even moreso than stock x4.

And my latest and hopefully my last conversion which i shall dub the x1x4. I acquired a cheap used syma x1 and while i enjoyed how it flew stock, of course I HAD to throw the x4 board on there. I trimmed 1.5cm off each boom to shrink the footprint a little and to help make better use of the x4's accelerometers. Hoping to add FPV to this rig in the future. Definately still a super smooth flyer but unlike it's stock counterpart reacts much better to input and self-stabilizing in this size is a plus(FPV/wind).

Now, I'm anticipating a nice night at the local park for an awesome flying session!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by RCaDDiCT!
United Kingdom, England, Ashford
Joined Jun 2007
42 Posts
That's very cool! I also love the Hubsan x4 flight characteristics and how well the accelerometer works. I'm using mine with Devo 8s with deviation firmware and it flys amazing!

I tried one of the Hubsan X4 boards in a Blade MQX but unfortunately did not work out and was not stable at all. Maybe I did something wrong but I just assumed that it was because the MQX was not direct drive and that the booms were longer.

I'll probably try with a ladybird as well, just gotta find a good way to mount the board.

Do you know if the Syma x1 is the same size as MQX? How did it fly before you shortened the booms? Will be great to see some video of these flying
RCaDDiCT! is offline Find More Posts by RCaDDiCT!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by ogrope1
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Oct 2011
546 Posts
Hi, did use use resistors for those LEDs? Where/How do you hook them up?
ogrope1 is online now Find More Posts by ogrope1
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:40 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCaDDiCT! View Post
Do you know if the Syma x1 is the same size as MQX? How did it fly before you shortened the booms? Will be great to see some video of these flying
The syma x1 if i'm not mistaken is the same size as the MQX/v929 etc. Before I shortened the booms, with the hubsan board it would over-correct and cause a death wobble to heavy stick inputs. Now with the shorter booms and only using 85% travel on the aileron stick, flies much much smoother. And flips are still possible too. Hopefully I can get a vid up soon, although I enjoy night flying much better- we'll see if i can get a nice video showing each hybrid's characteristics.
BTW, how hard was it to get your Devo 8s to interact with your hubsan??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrope1 View Post
Hi, did use use resistors for those LEDs? Where/How do you hook them up?
Yes, the leds that operate at 3V are coupled with a 470ohm 1/8 watt resistor soldered straight to the battery point on the board.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by variantman
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Which one of these flies the best? Has the best flight time?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:35 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Which one of these flies the best? Has the best flight time?
flight times are variant upon flight manuevers but obviously the little guy gets the most flight times. -Around 8-10 minutes depending how aggressive the flight. But the one I enjoy the most and has the most balance between stability and agility is the ladybird-sized hybrid. Plus it's the one i've had the most stick time with.
I will get AUW of each quad posted soon along with flight times, and vids.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by ogrope1
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Oct 2011
546 Posts
Thanks for the reply, is this what you used http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8W-Watt-47...item3377dfea8d ?
OK so if I understand correctly you solder the resistor directly on board and then just solder the wires hooked up to the LEDs?
ogrope1 is online now Find More Posts by ogrope1
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:47 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrope1 View Post
Thanks for the reply, is this what you used http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8W-Watt-47...item3377dfea8d ?
OK so if I understand correctly you solder the resistor directly on board and then just solder the wires hooked up to the LEDs?
Yeap, but just to be sure you use the right resisitor and get the proper brightness out of whatever leds you choose to use, use this calculator with the led's specs to get the correct resisitor :http://ledcalculator.net/
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by RCaDDiCT!
United Kingdom, England, Ashford
Joined Jun 2007
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by specgie View Post
The syma x1 if i'm not mistaken is the same size as the MQX/v929 etc. Before I shortened the booms, with the hubsan board it would over-correct and cause a death wobble to heavy stick inputs. Now with the shorter booms and only using 85% travel on the aileron stick, flies much much smoother. And flips are still possible too. Hopefully I can get a vid up soon, although I enjoy night flying much better- we'll see if i can get a nice video showing each hybrid's characteristics.
BTW, how hard was it to get your Devo 8s to interact with your hubsan??

Yes, the leds that operate at 3V are coupled with a 470ohm 1/8 watt resistor soldered straight to the battery point on the board.
My MQX would also go into a death wobble so I guess shortening the booms is the answer. Doesn't seem like they can be shortened by much before the props touch.

Just found out the Syma x1 uses 7mm motor which is same as Hubsan X4 motors, but MQX uses 8.5mm motors I guess this could also make a big difference. Perhaps the FETs are not good enough for the bigger motors.

It's really easy to flash deviation onto Devo 8. You do need to also fit a A7105 module inside transmitter as well but this is quite easy if you follow instructions here: http://www.deviationtx.com/repositor...y-to-Devo.pdf/
RCaDDiCT! is offline Find More Posts by RCaDDiCT!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Those look great specgie! I can't decide which one I like the best.

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by jesolins
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
15,244 Posts
Great hybrid work here Specgie. Very creative on the upside down motor and frame too.

@R,
Yes the X4 FETs are slightly less powerful as those on the MQX/V939 sized mini quad fcbs, so that is likely at least part of the wobble problem you had. A mechanical PID adjust by using smaller props(or trimming and balancing the originals) and shortening the arms a few cm might be the trick that works on an MQX/V929 motor frame X4 fcb hybrid build though.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCaDDiCT! View Post
My MQX would also go into a death wobble so I guess shortening the booms is the answer. Doesn't seem like they can be shortened by much before the props touch.

Just found out the Syma x1 uses 7mm motor which is same as Hubsan X4 motors, but MQX uses 8.5mm motors I guess this could also make a big difference. Perhaps the FETs are not good enough for the bigger motors.

It's really easy to flash deviation onto Devo 8. You do need to also fit a A7105 module inside transmitter as well but this is quite easy if you follow instructions here: http://www.deviationtx.com/repositor...y-to-Devo.pdf/
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:34 AM
Find More Posts by neobot
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
would be nice to see some video of the different versions flying specially the x1x4
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by bangkomit
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,188 Posts
specgie, any update about your x1x4?
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit