HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2014, 06:38 AM
Joined Jun 2009
397 Posts
how about a battery that get 25mins flight time for a 450 quad with gimbal gopro and fpv gear not that would be awesome
skyhulk is offline Find More Posts by skyhulk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:27 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
247 Posts
Experience with Puffing?

Looking for anyone with experience on these new BOLT batteries.

I've just finished a new EDF scratch build (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=258) which basically I designed around the Nanotech 4s 2650 35-70c battery.

When I flew today, mostly flat-out for the full flight for the first time, when I landed my battery was extremely puffed. It was about a 3 1/2 minute flight, and the battery was pretty well exhausted. After it cooled for an hour or so, individual cells were around the 3.5 volt range.

Anyway, most 4s batteries out there are much "fatter", which simply won't fit my bird. The BOLT 2800 4s has almost the same dimensions as the Nanotech. At twice the price, I would hope its a substantially better battery. But can anyway tell me if the BOLT battery would solve my puffing issue? Obviously with the higher voltage, it could boost my performance a bit too... but if I continue to experience puffing like I just did today, it will litteraly split my fuselage open. (Battery sits on its "edge" in the fuselage, with not a lot of extra room.)

The current battery, looks like it drained about 2000 ma in those 3 1/2 minutes, so that should have been significantly less drain than the 35c constant rating... The battery is a couple years old, but only has about 12-15 cycles on it. Its never been "puffed" before, but it has gone down to its original size after cooling.

Thanks in advance for any perspectives.

Paul
plasoneal is offline Find More Posts by plasoneal
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:00 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
980 Posts
So, I got to ask, can you check the IR of your battery (the one that puffed in your jet)? To the best of my knowledge, checking the IR of a lipo at around 72 degrees f is one of the best ways we have to determine the shape the lipo is in.
Additionally, running a lipo down to 3.5v per cell (measured after 1 hour rebound) means that the lipo was run down very close to 0% charge remaining (or 100% DOD, depth of discharge). This is not a good practice for lipo longevity! Puffing and excessive heating can result and, harm the lipo.
Michael
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:07 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasoneal View Post
After it cooled for an hour or so, individual cells were around the 3.5 volt range.
You ran it below flat at a high rate, hardly surprising it puffed.

I dont see how the other packs will help, you need shorter flights or larger batteries.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:13 AM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
247 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I'm certainly learning the nuances of electric flight as well as experimenting with this new bird.

After the fact, I fully agree that this particular flight pushed the battery too far... I was trying intentionally to push the plane for the first time... guess I just pushed it a bit too far (no room for my telemetry gear in the current fuselage).

I assume by IR you mean "Internal Resistance"? If so... I have a multi-function test meter, so I should be able to read the Ohms on it. What am I judging as good/bad? The battery has now completely lost its puffiness... so I'm hoping it isn't overly damaged from this flight, though I definitely want to avoid repeated stressing at this level. If checking the IR will help confirm that the batter is still "good", it would be good to know.

I generally don't like to run my lipos below 3.7 volts/cell (checking after landing). So as mentioned, I probably just need to cut back my flight time or cut back the time at WOT.

Last data point... after a full cooling period, I re-balanced the pack last night. It took about 2200 ma over a 90 minute charge time. As the pack is rated for 2650, it is just that I ran the discharge at too high of a rate? Perhaps with its age (~ 2 years) it just isn't up to the full 2650 capacity.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:19 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
I don't know if this helps, I always fly by Tx timer, set to
60*0.8*Battery Capacity(Ah) / Max Throttle Amps

0.8 factor used for 80% of battery capacity
60 factor represents minutes
This way even if you fly at full throttle for the whole flight you know you should have 20% time in reserve just in case of go-arounds etc.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:44 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
timer, set to
60*0.8*Battery Capacity(Ah) / Max Throttle Amps
Thanks for sharing! Looks like a helpful formula.

I did have 3 flights in yesterday with the same battery. Keeping the flight timer set on 3 minutes along with a little throttle management seems to keep me out of trouble.

Still interestested in trying the new BOLT battery though, since the 2800 mah version has a very similar "footprint" to my current battery.

Here's a link of my last flight yestereday using the Nanotech 4s 2650 battery.

MacroSpot Flight 8 (3 min 36 sec)

Paul
Old Sep 09, 2014, 12:29 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Has anyone tried the bolt batteries that has charged them to 4.35v per cell yet? I'm curious to see how they compare to standard 65c nano-techs.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:43 PM
Joined Mar 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Has anyone tried the bolt batteries that has charged them to 4.35v per cell yet? I'm curious to see how they compare to standard 65c nano-techs.
I got 2 of the 3s 2400mah Bolts I just got a few flights but I have been charging them to 4.35v with my 308duo they seem good They are heavier then my 1800mah A spec g2 (159g) 2400mah Bolts (197g) and they seem to have a better punch also I am getting about 6-8 mins flights on a blackout mini H. That is with it power fpv gear and have a Gopro mounted on front for capture. 7-10 with out depending on flight style Hell for 1 dollar more I will buy more of these over the 1800 A specs G2 which I do like a lot Now interested to see how they hold up, I even ran one just above cut off today by accident forgot to reset voltage alarm. took it down to 2.90-3.1 a cell and it charged back up fine. It could barely keep the quad in the air with the Gopro at the end. wont do that again, But I must say until that point it was solid power. Uploading videos now to Youtube you can watch later does have some jello as i am just mounting the go pro with its standard sticky mounts. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x...mdF5RsYnqVwaaQ
RoninFPV is offline Find More Posts by RoninFPV
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:13 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
cool man I need to figure out how to up the power on my power lab 8 duo charger. I haven't built the quad to try the batteries on yet.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117