HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2014, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2014
4 Posts
Discussion
Quick Mod on WL912

Hi, new to the forum here and have found all of y'all very informative and want to thank you all for the helpful info. I have both the FT009 and the WL912. I found the mod to override the safety on the FT009 super helpful and couldn't find one on the WL912. So I went about it on my own and found it really quite simple and thought I'd try to chip in with my little bit of info. If it has already been done, I apologize.

But all I did was unscrew what I think is the ESC box, which is only held on by 2 small Phillips head screws on the starboard side of the boat, the other side seems to be just free float, one of the screws is obscured by one of the cooling tubes but I just angled a little screwdriver in there and it came out and back in just fine without having to remove the tubing. I lifted the ESC out and saw 2 sets of black and red wires, one set very small gauge and the other set slight larger connected to the ESC. I figured the larger ones were the ones to trigger the safety and clipped them and completed the circuit by stripping and twisting the 2 wires together and insulating them the best I could. I've attached some pics in case, hope this helps.
whzwaldo3 is offline Find More Posts by whzwaldo3
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2014, 04:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
98 Posts
What does this do?
stevenator128 is offline Find More Posts by stevenator128
Old Apr 07, 2014, 02:15 AM
Joined Apr 2014
4 Posts
This mod bypasses the need for the boat to be in full contact with water in order for the motor to run. To me it's just safer in case it flips and the sensor on top of the boat doesn't make contact with the water to self right itself
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:48 AM
Joined Jun 2003
82 Posts
Yes, I have cut mine as well. I have the ft009 and the wl912. My prop shaft just froze on the wl912 after one run also my water cooling was clogged before I even ran it the first time. Going to dig in deeper this weekend on why the prop shaft will not spin.
noname_com is offline Find More Posts by noname_com
Old May 28, 2014, 02:15 AM
Joined Apr 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname_com View Post
Yes, I have cut mine as well. I have the ft009 and the wl912. My prop shaft just froze on the wl912 after one run also my water cooling was clogged before I even ran it the first time. Going to dig in deeper this weekend on why the prop shaft will not spin.
Do you have a problem with the 912 listing starboard when running straight? And it is just not anywhere near as fast or fun to drive like the 009 and it takes on quite a bit of water into the hull. The 009 stays bone dry inside, even after submarining and flipping multiple times. Do you have the same issues? I honestly love the 009 and am really disappointed with the 912.
Last edited by whzwaldo3; May 28, 2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:54 PM
West Borneo
Joined Mar 2009
55 Posts
Hi all,

did anybody done a brushless conversion before to v912. My receiver is always cut off after full throttle in few seconds. I am planning to convert it to brushless motor,
aliank is offline Find More Posts by aliank
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:33 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
hi i tried the mod joined the two large wires and the small ones disconnected and nothing happened except the esc nearly fried so i was wondering did you leave the two small wires attached in the original spots
Shannon87 is offline Find More Posts by Shannon87