HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:03 AM
Nederland, Noord-Brabant, Hoogerheide
Joined Mar 2007
620 Posts
hmm, i hope the price will go down soon...

it's almost the same price as the 50mm plane, and this is way smaller (and with the 50mm, you get a lipo!)

also, the f86 is the slowest of all (stock) on the 50mm jets, so think it'll be the same with 35.

i am curious how these fly, and which models will be added
BadBert is offline Find More Posts by BadBert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:11 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I don't think there'll be many added... the construction and detailing of the MiG and F-86 lends itself to modelling at this scale well. Start trying to do good-looking and functional A-6's, F9F's and T-33's at this scale and I reckon it'd get pretty hard.

Still, be interesting if some others come out.

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:18 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBert View Post
hmm, i hope the price will go down soon...
it's almost the same price as the 50mm plane, and this is way smaller (and with the 50mm, you get a lipo!)
Going from 50mm -> 35mm there wouldn't be much room to move the price down I think.
You are getting the same basic electronics and foam airframe - albeit smaller.

Where is the cost reduction going to come from? If anything the packaging - however it looks like it's actually just as expensive to ship them too due to their completely pre-made finishing.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:46 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
i agree the cost of foam in mass production would cost peanuts between the differences 50-35mm

boingk your lucky if u can fit a 40mm fan into one of these models as that 40mm EDF is a killer

i just got my first email saying my order has been packed hopefully i will see this little jet monday
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:29 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
i agree the cost of foam in mass production would cost peanuts between the differences 50-35mm

boingk your lucky if u can fit a 40mm fan into one of these models as that 40mm EDF is a killer

i just got my first email saying my order has been packed hopefully i will see this little jet monday
Monday ! ... Lucky guy

All my CPxxxxHK need at least 1 extra week for cross custom ... plus 1 week minimum for land in my country ... so ... normally I get my order inside 3 or 4 weeks

Plus I need to pay around 30% in taxes here ...

At least, so far I had not to pay taxes for RBxxxxHK small packages ...

So ... it sound in Australia you are more lucky ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: As always the European have to pay more and need longer time ... US have a lot of local cheap shops ... Australia is looking favourite by sitting "near" China
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:32 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Monday ! ... Lucky guy

All my CPxxxxHK need at least 1 extra week for cross custom ... plus 1 week minimum for land in my country ... so ... normally I get my order inside 3 or 4 weeks

Plus I need to pay around 30% in taxes here ...

At least, so far I had not to pay taxes for RBxxxxHK small packages ...

So ... it sound in Australia you are more lucky ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: As always the European have to pay more and need longer time ... US have a lot of local cheap shops ... Australia is looking favourite by sitting "near" China
i got it shipped by EMS express post being a thursday it should be on a plane headed for australia over the weekend and released from customs sometime sunday or early monday morning than sent to the delivery office for delivery on monday im hoping thats how all my other orders have been sent
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:49 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
i got it shipped by EMS express post being a thursday it should be on a plane headed for australia over the weekend and released from customs sometime sunday or early monday morning than sent to the delivery office for delivery on monday im hoping thats how all my other orders have been sent
EMS ...

You most have pay more in shipping then in the bird ... ... but maybe EMS rate to AU is a bit cheaper then to EU

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:13 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
It's not all great for aussies. It takes longer for the package to go from Sydney to Adelaide than it does from Hong Kong to Sydney! I'm expecting mine in about two weeks...

mfg aus'm Sueden...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:34 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
EMS ...

You most have pay more in shipping then in the bird ... ... but maybe EMS rate to AU is a bit cheaper then to EU

Tchuss

e_lm_70
EMS is only $23.50 that is pretty cheap and well worth it over normal parcel post it means i can keep my hair i also kept my weight under 1kg over 1kg it seems to get a bit steeper on shipping over $10 more for .5kg so this means i will be using my own lipo 500mah 2S flightmax the description says 370mah but hobby king always under states the battery size for there models
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:34 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Gazza - Looks like we'll get them around the same time then, I also used the EMS method as it wouldn't let me do the usual cheaper postage for some reason. I got 4 Flightmax 350mAh 2s 20C packs posted for AU$15 including postage in a seperate non-express order. Not super rated packs but the price sure is right.

The 40mm unit arrived Tuesday by the way, seems pretty powerful! Very nicely balanced too, cheers mate. Not sure if I'll bother converting the MiG, I think I'll see how it goes on the stock unit to begin with.

odysis - I'll trade good postage for brilliant beaches and beautiful ladies anyday! Besides, its not that bad... just gotta front up for Express if you want it quick. Used to be a postie myself and I can tell you now theres not much stuffing around on the job.

Cheers - boingk
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:07 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I got notified my order was 'shipped' around 2pm this afternoon local time.

I do feel that 'shipped' can mean it got thrown in the parcel cage out the back of the warehouse ready to cart down to the P.O.. How long it takes before the cage makes that trip is anyone's guess..
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:11 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
When you guys start to get them put together, could you post a quick set of links to what you used to build them? Due to the size of these EDFs, I'm guessing I'm not the only complete noob to EDF and picking out parts that wants one of these guys. F-86 for me. I don't care if the Mig is better, it ain't 'MERICAN!

If these were gaming computers... I'd easily be on the other side of this. But I'm clueless here. I know just enough to hurt my wallet. Little AR6400 foamies are dead simple in comparison to piece by piece building of one of these EDFs.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:27 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
By the look of it, the ARF is pretty much plug-n-crash.

Unfortunately, I can't really recommend these things to a "complete n00b". The smaller they are, the more critical the weight becomes, and fidgety they are to fly. Hopefully these things will remedy the building part, but flying will still be fast reactions and good eyesight!

If the kit comes with a fan/motor, I'll run it up to check, if it's close to 100w on 2, 3 or 4s, I'll fly that. Otherwise, 30mm will go in. After that, custom fans a go-go!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:41 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Afraid - biggest things are making sure the control horns are well glued, linkages aren't binding, surfaces are centered, the fan uni is glued in correctly and the CG is right.

In other words, treat it as though you were building from scratch. I've seen control horns let go, servos jam, fan units slip and rub through motor wires... the works. Nothing surprises me, but if you treat it like a scratch-build then you can help remedy the factory fault pretty easily.

And yes, I would steer clear of the micro EDF's for a while. Perhaps try a pusher-jet foam build to get used to the characteristics of an EDF. Search on rcfoamfighters.com and try your hand at the FF-22 or FF-15, both attractive builds that fly well and will give you a decent idea on how an EDF flies, all without actually ponying up and buying an EDF.

Cheers - boingk
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:59 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I got notified my order was 'shipped' around 2pm this afternoon local time.

I do feel that 'shipped' can mean it got thrown in the parcel cage out the back of the warehouse ready to cart down to the P.O.. How long it takes before the cage makes that trip is anyone's guess..
I ordered mine approx. 6am HK time. It now says it's 8pm HK time but it only says "reserved" for all of my items. I ordered when there were still 6 in stock.
Wonder if my payment was approved when they were just out of stock??
I'd suppose that when it says "reserved" instead of "backorder" it should be fine.
Simply can't wait for my F86. I'd be my first micro EDF! (My other jet's a 70mm Robbe Folland Gnat)
RNAF is online now Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member