HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:27 AM
Joined Oct 2008
127 Posts
Help!
Novus FP

Ok I got another question here. I've never flown a "real" heli. I've flow alot of sim's though. I'm not great at flying my heli, but I can keep it up in the air. I still think I have a tail rotor problem that comes and goes. Sometimes it seems to work fine, and other times it wont turn on, still other times it just goes at one speed constantly. So the question is......

What should the tail be doing when your flying the heli? I mean should the motor be one constantly with you giving it small inputs, to keep your direction? I'm asking cause I really dont know. I cant tell if something is wrong or not? So..if you please what should that tail rotor be doing when yoru say hovering? On or off? When your turning left or right?

Thanks
skyfly1715 is offline Find More Posts by skyfly1715
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:40 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
No your tail motor shouldnt be doing that. It sounds like its going bad. Try replacing it, that should fix it.
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:25 AM
Addicted - seeking help!
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Joined Feb 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfly1715 View Post
Ok I got another question here. I've never flown a "real" heli. I've flow alot of sim's though. I'm not great at flying my heli, but I can keep it up in the air. I still think I have a tail rotor problem that comes and goes. Sometimes it seems to work fine, and other times it wont turn on, still other times it just goes at one speed constantly. So the question is......

What should the tail be doing when your flying the heli? I mean should the motor be one constantly with you giving it small inputs, to keep your direction? I'm asking cause I really dont know. I cant tell if something is wrong or not? So..if you please what should that tail rotor be doing when yoru say hovering? On or off? When your turning left or right?

Thanks
I would expect that the tail rotor must be spinning at hover in order to counter act the effect of the spinning main blade (otherwise the heli will spin out of control). Presuming that your main blades spin clockwise, your helicopter will want to spin counter-clockwise. So, looking at it with the nose pointed away, the tail motor should slow/stop for a left turn (as this is the opposite direction of the main rotor) and will speed up to turn right.

If it's not turning on or running consistently, I would check ALL of your connection points to make sure that they are solid. I would also try rebinding the helicopter as I wouldn't be surprised if a bad bind would cause erratic behavior (almost lost my first heli due to a bad bind). Or, as lazer155 says, it could be a bad tail motor. If you're to the point of replacing, consider upgrading to a brushless motor as they last longer and I believe have more power. Wowhobbies and rchobbyhelicopter.com are places that will have the parts to make the conversion.
jgupton is offline Find More Posts by jgupton
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:09 AM
Joined Oct 2008
127 Posts
I figured it out

I didnt realize that the tail blades slipped on and off so easily. Looking at the tail last night, just kinda of thinking about it, I noticed the gears where not aligned. So I pushed it back in alignment and SHAZAMMMM it's flying agin
skyfly1715 is offline Find More Posts by skyfly1715