HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:26 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I agree with Semperfi. EPO is the future. Love those Corsairs, sound awesome.

I have a couple of EPO Formosas. One runs 350w on 4s, the other a more conservative 3s. Great for pattern aerobatics.

I also thought about making one into a big fun fighter, I have 3 of those.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:47 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ahs View Post
Keep the EPS planes. Some of us prefer to fly the airplane rather than the prop. Low and slow. You can "fly" a pine board with enough horsepower, but it's not really flying in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I agree with Semperfi. EPO is the future. Love those Corsairs, sound awesome.

I have a couple of EPO Formosas. One runs 350w on 4s, the other a more conservative 3s. Great for pattern aerobatics.

I also thought about making one into a big fun fighter, I have 3 of those.
I'm amazed this thread is getting posts at this late date, when GWS has virtually disappeared from the US market... or any market for that matter.

I'm also an EPS fan... "light flies right", for those who like parkflyer performance and flying venues. But, it matters not, GWS long ago quit responding to user requests, so I don't expect anything to change under the current company owner ship. R.I.P. GWS!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,435 Posts
Victapilot, I just got done building a Formosa and decided to go the overpowered route. I am less than pleased with its performance as a bank and yank speedster. The tail moment is all wrong for speed and power. The Formosa is best served light as possible with a neutral CG. I have a lot of fun with the Corsairs and big motors. Unlike most speed planes of this size using small props like 6x6 or 7x7 I chose to go with all out torque using a 9x9 prop. There isn't much spooling up needed when your setup is producing 160 ounces of thrust The great thing about the Corsair is that it slows as fast as it accelerates with its big open mouth cowling and chunky fuse. It enables me to come into a turn chopping the throttle (slamming on the air brakes) and coming out of the turn and going WOT it responds with a little tail waggle and slingshots forward. No need to stay WOT through a turn where most over shoot and loose ground. Here is a maiden video of the Formosa that I just finished that is less than fun to fly due to weight.
GWS Formosa (4 min 42 sec)

Tom Frank, I agree with you on light flies better. I have many EPS GWS planes, well I have them all I do enjoy flying slow and low with most all of them. The Corsair is just cut from a different block of foam, it was born for speed and power. Here is a video of one of my all time favorite EPS planes, the mighty GWS AT-6.
GWS AT-6 school yard (3 min 46 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:20 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I started in this hobby with stick and tissue planes, that's light! But there's got to be a reason (or three), you don't see many at the field, while just about every day there are a few t-28's.

My Formosas fly great, but control surfaces are big for a speedster. Mine are the vI smaller version, but dual aileron servos, and tail servos in back, carbon pushrods, 1/2A horns.

victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Aug 25, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:18 AM
IT"S A PLANE NOT DOGFOOD
Australia, VIC, Hampton East
Joined Feb 2013
224 Posts
I think you need to use hobbyking as a supplier becuase the reason they keep it cheap to get to their warehouses is becuase they ship huge amounts at a time and so it would be cheaper than individually sending them from factory to the customer
wojethebest is offline Find More Posts by wojethebest