HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2014, 06:38 PM
United States, MN, Hubbard
Joined Jan 2004
242 Posts
Discussion
2.4 AFHSS module lost link with multiple receivers

I had an experience that puzzles me. I was flying an electric with a 4s lipo. I flew one flight successfully. Upon landing, I was taxing back and the wind lifted a wing, causing a prop strike on grass. The cheap esc apparently fried.

So I switched memories to another model (6s battery). I heard the proper tones for initating the CC ICE 75 and then throttled up to taxi. It went to full throttle and stayed there until it apparently cut off because of too much current draw. Fortunately it was restrained and no accidental damage occurred.

Subsequent examination of data logged confirms that and also that the esc was reading full throttle despite my pulling it back to low throttle. The prop , motor and battery combination never have exceded 63 amps in many data logged flights and the battery was freshly charged and tested good afterward.

Back in the shop I discovered that none of the 2.4 receivers bound to that module would respond to it (12 of them). Rebinding has so far worked on all 6 of them that I have tried so far, including the one that went full throttle. It nows functions fine including all channels and throttles up and down fine.

What puzzles me is how the tx module apparently changed output. It has to be the module because all but 2 of the Optima and Minima receivers were 30 miles away at the time.

The other concern I have is whether I am safe in continuing to use this module. It has performed perfectly for several years and I have never before had to rebind.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?
immelman50 is offline Find More Posts by immelman50
Last edited by immelman50; May 16, 2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immelman50 View Post
I had an expeience that puzzles me. I was flying an electric with a 4s lipo. I flew one flight successfully. Upon landing, I was taxing back and the wind lifted a wing, causing a prop strike on grass. The cheap esc apparently fried.
So I switched memories to another model (6s battery). I heard the proper tones for initating the CC ICE 75 and then throttled up to taxi. It went to full throttle and stayed there until it apparently cut off because of too much current draw. Fortunately it was restrained and no accidental damage occurred.
Subsequent examination of data logged confirms that and also that the esc was reading full throttle despite my pulling it back to low throttle. The prop , motor and battery combination never have exceded 63 amps in many data logged flights and the battery was freshly charged and tested good afterward.
Back in the shop I discovered that none of the 2.4 receivers bound to that module would respond to it (12 of them). Rebinding has so far worked on all 6 of them that I have tried so far, including the one that went full throttle. It nows functions fine including all channels and throttles up and down fine.
What puzzles me is how the tx module apparently changed output. It has to be the module because all but 2 of the Optima and Minima receivers were 30 miles away at the time.
The other concern I have is whether I am safe in continuing to use this module. It has performed perfectly for several years and I have never before had to rebind.
Any ideas on what could have caused this?
Did you do a range check that morning?
Is it possible that you went into scan mode, while testing any settings after first flight? however briefly would necessitate re-binding all receivers.
. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Latest Spectra Module V3.01(0) & Transceiver V2.02(0)

If scan mode could not have been entered, then please refer direct:
. Hitec Warranty & Service - homepage.
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.
"Hitec USA customer service department is available Monday through Friday*
from 7am- 4:30 pm Pacific time. Reach us at 858.748.8440 or
service@hitecrcd.com any time you have a question"
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old May 16, 2014, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2004
242 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I did not do a range check that day.
I flew the first plane once successfully, it is medium sized and flew at typical ranges that a .40 sized 2 cycle sport model would fly with no issues.
The second plane was an electric conversion of a classic pattern plane, a Calypso.

I did no checking of any settings beyond checking the throttle end points through the transmitter programming. I checked this because after the second flight and prop strike, the motor would run but at pretty low maximum rpms.

I did not touch the link button on the module, which I would have to do to put it in scan mode on this transmitter. I suppose it is possible, but highly unlikely, that somehow something got into the recess that the module link button is in while the transmitter lay on its back on the readying table as I changed batteries in the plane.

I didn't quite understand a part of your reply. When you say refer direct to the warranty and service page are you suggesting I call them or that I look there to check how to send it in for service and send it in?
Old May 16, 2014, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2004
242 Posts
As I think about it, it is possible that I could have held the link button on th tx down too long as I attempted relinking back at home. It is possible that I could have accidently got into scan mode at that time.

That would explain having to relink all the receivers at home. I still don't know about how I lost link to the second plane at the field, however and just wonder if whatever electrical noise caused by the minor prop strike has any possible connection. I can't see how , but it is the only thing that happened out of the ordinary at the time.

In looking at the Hitec website, I realized that this module is labeled as a Spectra 2.4 DSSS module , part number 28724, which may make some difference.
Last edited by immelman50; May 16, 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: additional identification information
Old May 17, 2014, 02:52 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,810 Posts
Quote:
As I think about it, it is possible that I could have held the link button on th tx down too long as I attempted relinking back at home. It is possible that I could have accidently got into scan mode at that time.
That would explain having to relink all the receivers at home. I still don't know about how I lost link to the second plane at the field, however and just wonder if whatever electrical noise caused by the minor prop strike has any possible connection. I can't see how , but it is the only thing that happened out of the ordinary at the time.
In looking at the Hitec website, I realized that this module is labeled as a Spectra 2.4 DSSS module , part number 28724, which may make some difference.
What transmitter? From the FAQ page:
. Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS Module #28724 Surface use only, can not be used with Optima or Minima RX nor aircraft.
Am surprised you were able to achieve "normal" operation including telemetry with the Optima.
The link to service dept was for you to contact service direct if information provided did not resolve the issue.
In any event would definitely exchange that module, copy manual attached, for the correct aircraft module Manual:
. Hitec Spectra 2.4 AFHSS #28315.

Alan T.
Old May 17, 2014, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2004
242 Posts
The transmitter is a Futaba 9 C.

I am afraid I sent erroneous information in the last posting. I looked on the Hitec website and the only module that looks like mine is the DSSS version. That's why I wrote that. Your message made me check the labeling on the module.

Mine is AFHSS and is one that was sold as a special deal with a couple receivers when Hitec first came out with 2.4. It is labeled not for individual sale.

It also says telemetry with Optima series and has the antenna integral with the module, not connected to the module with a wire and screwed into the tx antenna hole. I like this configuration very much because it is much more convenient to swap with a 72 mhz module, which I occasionally do. I hadn't done that recently, however. Apparently the only modules with this configuration currently being sold are the surface versions.

My apology for my error in identification. I suppose I can no longer get one with the antenna integral to the module. I will contact the service department.
Thank you for your response and again sorry for my misidentification.
Old May 17, 2014, 03:48 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,810 Posts
Quote:
The transmitter is a Futaba 9 C.
I am afraid I sent erroneous information in the last posting. I looked on the Hitec website and the only module that looks like mine is the DSSS version.
That's why I wrote that.
Your message made me check the labeling on the module.
Mine is AFHSS and is one that was sold as a special deal with a couple receivers when Hitec first came out with 2.4.
It is labeled not for individual sale.
It also says telemetry with Optima series and has the antenna integral with the module, not connected to the module with a wire and screwed into the tx antenna hole.
I like this configuration very much because it is much more convenient to swap with a 72 mhz module, which I occasionally do.
I hadn't done that recently, however.
Apparently the only modules with this configuration currently being sold are the surface versions.
My apology for my error in identification. I suppose I can no longer get one with the antenna integral to the module. I will contact the service department.
Thank you for your response and again sorry for my misidentification
Thank you for the clarification..
The special module deal is no longer available, photos and detail for benefit of other readers..
The downside of swapping modules is that the the transmitter pins, especially with some Futaba Tx
are prone to loosening and cold solder joints letting go.
Check your Tx pins are all secure and clean before sending in for service.

Alan T.