HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2014, 07:10 AM
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Jet turbine Hydro formula hull

Hi

I just put a 24lb wren turbine into a fibreglass hydro boat hull and have discovered a slight, but important problem:

Water gets into the air intake

The hull has an open air inlet which faces forwards, it was not a drama when the boat had a small piston engine, but now it has a jet engine any water that gets splashed up onto the air intake goes straight into the engine intake

I tried simply blocking the front air intake of the boat but then the engine rapidly got too hot.

I thought about some sort of splash guard but the amount of suction at the turbine intake is so much at higher revs that is still sucks in the water that is deflected around the intake.

I have seen videos of turbine rc boats with completely enclosed engine compartments and I was wondering why these do not heat up because of lack of air flow to the intake?

Any ideas of how to solve my problem

Cheers

Muddypaw (Australia)
muddypaw is offline Find More Posts by muddypaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:59 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined May 2013
60 Posts
I worked on this a while ago, never really got a great result and moved to other projects. I added a snorkel just like the real boats have. It worked ok , has long has the front spoilers were in a neutral location. I still believe a water jacket can be made to work but the heat kept giving me leaks in a very simple setup.
I am not a robot is offline Find More Posts by I am not a robot