HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Yeah its oprobably the key on the side of the plugs.. I'll have another look to confirm.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
I finally got the servos in my guy... Next up is to make him a brain so he runs by himself without needing to manually control him with my TX.

Thinking of using a Raspberry Pi for that and maybe even add facial recognition so he can talk to people and know who they are

RoboHead v0.1a (1 min 38 sec)
Last edited by sideburn; Dec 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
might be a option to go whith electronic swicth which plug into the rx
on aux, so set tx swicth on/off .think you can still set speed whith tx .
slight mod to servo whith a servo arm on and it will run slow circle so arm used like a crank to run feature
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
not sure I follow you... you mean so i can still be able to use a tc when i want to?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
hi was thinking spectrum, set speed by servo slow feature for 2 position tx switch,or use the tx knob if you want to change speed on fly, but tc should also work
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:29 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
THAT, is freekin cool dude. Really nicely done!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
THAT, is freekin cool dude. Really nicely done!
Thanks!

My dad's the artist behind it.. I'm just the electronics guy.
More in the works, I think the next one's going to have some LCD displays for the eyes maybe and make some video animations. Sortof a Max Hedroom kind of thing.

I was going to build a custom board and use a PIC micro controller for his "brain" from what I learned on this mobile rotary phone project I did awhile back but now I am starting to look into the Pi and I think I can do a lot more with one of those and a lot less soldering!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Yeah that stuff is fun, I'm kinda deep into Arduino stuff at the moment for something similar.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:21 PM
United States, KY, Harlan
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
IMO i know this may be more than what your wanting, but it might suit your purposes better. I would use servo's and an arduino. That way you don't have to control it and it will just follow a preprogrammed routine, you could keep it plugged in and no need for bat's
jdfelosi is offline Find More Posts by jdfelosi
Old Jan 01, 2014, 03:56 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,211 Posts
great Robo Head, needs a Monty Python theme music background
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Jan 02, 2014, 01:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfelosi View Post
IMO i know this may be more than what your wanting, but it might suit your purposes better. I would use servo's and an arduino. That way you don't have to control it and it will just follow a preprogrammed routine, you could keep it plugged in and no need for bat's
Oh yeah, right now it is connected to a tx/rx only for getting them all working right.. test/debug..
The final goal is to pregrogram him. I was going to make a custom board and use a PIC microcontroller but now I am taking the plug and play route like you are suggesting.

I thought about an arduino but a Raspberry Pi is cheaper and it has GPIO so I can drive up to 16 servos with it. And I can even put a camera on it and do facial recognition and have the eyes track to the face it sees from the camera. I just dont see at the moment what the benefits are of using an arduino instead of a Pi.

The next guy we make is going to have a 3.5" display on it for the eye(s) and I am going to make a small looping video of an eyeball looking around. The RasPi is also perfect for this because it can play video right out of the box. I couldn't find any other affordable solution to playing a video other than hacking a cheap mp3/mpeg player but with that route I have less control, like to make it start up a specific video automatically when you turn it on.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 03:30 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,211 Posts
I hope you post your build here when you hook the Rasberry Pi up to the Robohead

I am interested in trying one of those
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Oh yeah, right now it is connected to a tx/rx only for getting them all working right.. test/debug..
The final goal is to pregrogram him. I was going to make a custom board and use a PIC microcontroller but now I am taking the plug and play route like you are suggesting.

I thought about an arduino but a Raspberry Pi is cheaper and it has GPIO so I can drive up to 16 servos with it. And I can even put a camera on it and do facial recognition and have the eyes track to the face it sees from the camera. I just dont see at the moment what the benefits are of using an arduino instead of a Pi.

The next guy we make is going to have a 3.5" display on it for the eye(s) and I am going to make a small looping video of an eyeball looking around. The RasPi is also perfect for this because it can play video right out of the box. I couldn't find any other affordable solution to playing a video other than hacking a cheap mp3/mpeg player but with that route I have less control, like to make it start up a specific video automatically when you turn it on.
Arduino is super easy though, that's the thing - the environment provides a lot for you, and with PIC boards you'll have to do all that stuff, OR go find a library for it, and since there's a thousand different "basic stuff" PIC libraries out there, it can be kinda confusing.

Look at these two pages, and I think you'll see why I personally go with Arduino for my personal stuff, but I'm not afraid of PIC, and use it for an auto-airplane.

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage - intro to Arduino
http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en_us/family/8bit/ - Intro to PIC, if you can figure it out.

Most Arduinos will 'just work' when you install the programming software, and plug it into the USB port - I've not had to download a driver even once for the three different types of Arduinos I've used, on two different computers here. For the PIC system, I had a buy an ICSP programmer module, and install a driver and the programming environment, and it works better on one computer than the other. If I want to make damn sure it gets programmed correctly, I have to use my laptop.

If you're already up to speed with those it doesn't matter, but if you're new to microcontrollers, I would strongly advise to go with Arduino. If you need 32-bit and a little more speed, you can go with DUE - or Maple if you want to get weird

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardDue - this thing has some juice - easily able to handle what you need. Play music and run servos at the same time, no problem!

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10664 - 32-bit ARM core at 72MHz

The main benefit of this over PI, is PI is overkill. With Raspberry you would be spending extra money for power you don't need. It's more of a full service computer. Arduino would probably be faster, in both performance, and development time, because it doesn't have the overhead of Linux.
Last edited by jasmine2501; Jan 02, 2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Oh, and get yourself one of these starter kits - it will introduce you to a lot of the wiring issues that I didn't really think about in spite of having done it before. Things like, why do you need a resistor with a button?

So, here's all my Arduino videos... you should get one of these kits, they are fun and educational!
Arduino Starter Kit Consumer Review (Radio Shack/Seeed Studios) (12 min 39 sec)

Arduino State Management Explained (11 min 23 sec)

Watch how easy this is...
Arduino Micro Setup and First Program (8 min 18 sec)
Old Jan 02, 2014, 07:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Arduino is super easy though, that's the thing - the environment provides a lot for you, and with PIC boards you'll have to do all that stuff, OR go find a library for it, and since there's a thousand different "basic stuff" PIC libraries out there, it can be kinda confusing.

Look at these two pages, and I think you'll see why I personally go with Arduino for my personal stuff, but I'm not afraid of PIC, and use it for an auto-airplane.

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage - intro to Arduino
http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en_us/family/8bit/ - Intro to PIC, if you can figure it out.

Most Arduinos will 'just work' when you install the programming software, and plug it into the USB port - I've not had to download a driver even once for the three different types of Arduinos I've used, on two different computers here. For the PIC system, I had a buy an ICSP programmer module, and install a driver and the programming environment, and it works better on one computer than the other. If I want to make damn sure it gets programmed correctly, I have to use my laptop.

If you're already up to speed with those it doesn't matter, but if you're new to microcontrollers, I would strongly advise to go with Arduino. If you need 32-bit and a little more speed, you can go with DUE - or Maple if you want to get weird

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardDue - this thing has some juice - easily able to handle what you need. Play music and run servos at the same time, no problem!

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10664 - 32-bit ARM core at 72MHz

The main benefit of this over PI, is PI is overkill. With Raspberry you would be spending extra money for power you don't need. It's more of a full service computer. Arduino would probably be faster, in both performance, and development time, because it doesn't have the overhead of Linux.

I mean Arduino vs. Raspberry Pi
I've already done a lot of stuff with PIC. That is a good route if you want to keep your mAH current load down and/or you need minimal components to keep costs down or you want a small footprint.

But the Raspberry Pi is only $25.00 - $35.00 it seems cheaper than the arduino route. And I'll be able to fire off a bunch of threads and play video (my next project will have a 3.5" lcd display playing a video for one of his eyes) as well as drive servos and LEDs. I se your point on the Linux overhead and yeah the machine will take about 30 secs to a minute just to boot up. Not sure if the speed will be better with arduino or not.. I am overclocking the Pi at 1Ghz and you don't need to load the GUI if you don't need it.

I've used a PIC for driving a text to speech module and also as the brain for my rotary cell phone project.

Ive attached some "PICS" of my PIC powered rotary cell phone.
After I got it all working I designed a PC board for it in Eagle CAD. First time Ive ever had an actual pc board manufactured for a project.
Last edited by sideburn; Jan 02, 2014 at 07:52 PM.