Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Help!
Original RC Dog House for Real Flight

A model of Al Signorino's original RC Dog House is being made for Real Flight 6.5.
Later (and present) versions have an added fuselage. This is the original.
I'm looking for information from anyone who ever built one of those planes, such as flying weight, or modifications (such as airfoil changes or going with fixed side panels).

Thanks
Fly_electric2 is offline Find More Posts by Fly_electric2
Last edited by Fly_electric2; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
The Real Flight 6.5 model is getting closer to completion. Again, information from anyone who ever built one of those original design planes is appreciated.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:13 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
I know the original had a glow engine.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
194 Posts
A local club member built one in the early '70s and flew it at local airshows. As I recall, he had an OS .60 on it. He said it was a can of worms to fly and it certainly wasn't overpowered. It sort of wallowed around the sky, but all the little kids loved it. I heard that the syndicate who owned the Peanuts brand got worked up over the design and I haven't seen one in almost 40 years.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Thanks guys! The original (and the RF model in it's earlier stages), used a reflex airfoil. Flight testing of the RF version showed it was stable only over a narrow speed range. It now has a symmetrical airfoil and is much better overall. Seems I remember reading Simitar builders making a similar switch. Still hope to offer a version with the reflex for nostalgic reasons-- the physics probably just needs some more tweaks.. This is not a pattern bird by any means, it's more about it's unique looks in the air. Per Al's original article, it does fly with a decided slight nose up attitude.
And for two side notes, my first RF model was to be a Trisquire-- my first plane. Many good memories about that classic. Between too many newbie patches and having learned a lot these past few months, it will be redone at some future time, and yes with an AXI! At the same time, I'm making a tribute Powerhouse in honor of recent passing of Sal Taibi. That WILL include a modeled Forster 99.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
194 Posts
The doghouse is really nothing more than a flying wing, and the reflex is there to counter the airfoil's negative pitching moment. The real challenge with the design is dealing with all the drag caused by the superfluous structure that comprises the doghouse.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
The RC Dog House for Real Flight 6.5 has been posted to the Knife Edge swaps page:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=18304