HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,571 Posts
jasmine the code on the sat cards was called jedi..the card was programmed in a way where it was hard and yet impossible for the sat company to re-program the card...the hackers charged $400 to program the card...The sat company sent out a broadcast spike that mad an exception to the serial code of real paying customers and the ship of the hacked card got burned out rendering the card useless.I used to know one of the hackers ...He was my guru...he had someone on the inside of microsoft who sent him alpha and updated versions of all of the windows versions up to windows 2000...he was a big man that looked like al roker.(a weather guy in new york)...he died of a heart attack in 2000..
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodmeyer View Post
What stuff? Hacked TX or orange RXs? Because if it's the latter, there's a huge difference when your grey-market, iffy equipment is not sending radio traffic into the air. Very worst case, you might be dealing with copyright issues, but certainly not with the FCC. And, I highly doubt Horizon/Spektrum would even bother with an end user. If they cared enough, they'd just try to go after whoever makes the copycat orange RXs.
Orange RX's are "compatible" not cloned. They are also on the MAAA's list of accepted radio equipment so I wouldn't call them "iffy" either. (Walkera radio equipment is not though, and is effectively banned from MAAA fields)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Right, and I believe that was my original argument - that even if you didn't care about the legal issues, you're still facing potential reliability problems because it's not "approved" equipment. What if Spek suddenly changes what the RX is looking for, and it's compatible with original equipment but somehow not compatible with knock-off stuff. Personally, I would do that in such a way that the thing fails randomly in the air. Kinda like the infamous Black Sunday back-hack.
No company would do that because if someone were injured or killed it could result in a lawsuit or even criminal prosecution. Designing your radio equipment so that it deliberately causes a potentially lethal aircraft to go out of control would land you in serious $%#^ if it were ever discovered.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 23, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:19 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks View Post
jasmine the code on the sat cards was called jedi..the card was programmed in a way where it was hard and yet impossible for the sat company to re-program the card...the hackers charged $400 to program the card...The sat company sent out a broadcast spike that mad an exception to the serial code of real paying customers and the ship of the hacked card got burned out rendering the card useless.I used to know one of the hackers ...He was my guru...he had someone on the inside of microsoft who sent him alpha and updated versions of all of the windows versions up to windows 2000...he was a big man that looked like al roker.(a weather guy in new york)...he died of a heart attack in 2000..
I've read about it but I hadn't heard that. It's all very interesting but it's only one of the reasons not to use hacked stuff unless you have a margin of error.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
I've had Spektrum, Older WK, and the new Devo radios. I prefer the sticks of the Devo 8s any day. But that's MY opinion.

Horizon's stuff is more expensive (for example, $11 for a cheap Chinese main motor that fails after 30+ flights for my Nano). My Walkera micros have a MUCH more stable FBL system (it's rock solid stable and WAY easy to fly without having to put bullet blades on it), are cheaper and are equally capable as my Blade helis. I shouldn't have to be cornered into buying another $350+ radio just to fly Blade helis, when I have a perfectly capable Devo 8s, which is of GREAT quality, IMO.

That's not to say you're well within your right to use DXx radios and only buy cheapos to fly other brands, if you want. But I'm at the point now where I don't hold either or any brand in higher regards as my "primary" brand, except for my radio hardware itself. I prefer the feel of the Devo 8S, so I use it. I just want to be able to buy any heli I want to use with it without having to buy yet another TX.

I'm proud to say I fly an AR7200BX Trex 250, Nano CP X, HP05 mCPX, HP05/03t double brushless Mini CP, and a V120D02S, all with my Devo 8S. Flawlessly. No bugs, no glitches, no unexpected behavior.

Everyone is entitled to use what they want, and I should be entitled to use my Devo for all of those, if made possible by the brilliant programmers of the Deviation project. It's my opinion that this firmware is the best thing to ever happen to RC.
gabeoravitz is offline Find More Posts by gabeoravitz
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I am surprised you like the devo8 over some spek radios. I prefered the dx7 and dx8 feel over the devo8 and devo8s. My devo12s had very nice sticks, but felt much cheaper and even with an amazing touchscreeen it didnt compare to my Jr which was about the same price. I guess everyone has a different feel for things

What I really like is some of the additions that walkera adds to their radios like touch and the recent addition the fpv monitor screens...what i dont like is their resell value and support.

On motors you are right blade replacements are too high but even Walkera seems to be ever raising their pricing too

As far as stability of Walkera i too found the minicp a much better heli than the mcpx, though walkera has nothing out to combat the nano or flys close to it. It will be interesting to see what they come out with down the line.

If you have a chance try comparing your 120d02s to a 130x. I really loved all my 120's when i first got them as nothing else came close too them.

On the Deviation firmware, while Walkera has some good radios that can be made to work with other brands I dont think any decent cllub would let you fly larger models with such a modified tx. For park flyers I dont see a problem unless you hurt someone else which probably is pretty unlikely...but be carefull flying that 250 size and above
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:15 PM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Arphy
Joined May 2007
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
... but if you have a problem with a DX6i, Spektrum will be providing service for that problem. If you have a problem with a hacked Devo... "guys on the internet" will be giving you the service for that problem. I know what situation I'd rather be in.
Personnaly I'm sure I will found more help on the web with the community....
I never had any help from big Cies like Microsoft each time I've had problems on my computer with windows xxx (which I've paid to Microsoft) ... I always found support on the web... thanks to community.
domtor0 is offline Find More Posts by domtor0