HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:23 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
Hmm why is an 'Arcticflyer' deterred by a few flakes of snow?

:P:P
With the cabbage invested in this build, I would also put her away for the winter, and fly the snot out of my other planes in the fleet untill my toes and fingers were frostbitten .................
there is also the ICE cold biting winds in winter which hurt tracking and speed, but they help on landings and launches ......................

You ever try to land on an iced over field ............ each clump of grass is a grenade waiting to explode CF, wood, foam, etc ............

better safe than sorry !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:19 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,365 Posts
Gerben - trust me I'll still fly...but the planes that get all their cooling through the nose...that fill with snow every landing...will get put away. My Funjet will get alot of use! The Avatar pic is a day when I flew at -19C with the Slipso.

And as I predicted...check out the pic...this was my morning wakeup Good thing is they are calling for 50F on Saturday so might get a couple of more flights in!
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Last edited by arcticflyer; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
My gosh !!!!
It MUST take you 10 minutes to cut your back yard grass ................

Been trolling 'round your posts, and I am wondering if you could go into more details on the repair and the plug you made, and why you had to make a plug ........... sorry for the NEWB q's !!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Gerben - trust me I'll still fly...but the planes that get all their cooling through the nose...that fill with snow every landing...will get put away. My Funjet will get alot of use! The Avatar pic is a day when I flew at -19C with the Slipso.

And as I predicted...check out the pic...this was my morning wakeup Good thing is they are calling for 50F on Saturday so might get a couple of more flights in!
Man! I almost feel bad being in shorts,T-shirt,and flip flops right now
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,365 Posts
Mopar - That plug came from a roll of tow that was given to me (like to know what the roll is worth). The leading edge of the wing (where it meets the Fuz) got pretty banged up in that failure to launch. There was some lamination seperation and the one small hole. Since I could not look inside and see the total extent of the damage...decided on a little over kill. The leading edge of these hollow molded things is....hollow...there is no solid piece of wood or carbon rod in there it is just the seam where the two skins meet are pressed together and glued.

That plug in the picture was saturated with epoxy then pushed through the lower hole to the upper one. Pushed from the upper hole across the leading edge till the whole plug was inside. Then evened it out by pushing back from the other direction. Epoxy was then dumped in the middle hole till it filled that whole area and let er cure.

So long story short there is a solid carbon rod now in the leading edge of the wing in the area where it meets the Fuz. So on the next failure to launch the wing won't break the Fuz probably will.

AND FOR YOU VOO DOO....RUB IT IN!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2004
746 Posts
Lol, just rubbin a little mate, no worries, don't take it too seriously

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,365 Posts
After my first heart attack at 49 last year I don't sweat stuff like I used to...life is just to short for that! That's why I avoid the threads where guys get to arguing and fighting just not worth it. All the guys on here have been really good guys and a great help...including ole warm weather Florida boy!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
After my first heart attack at 49 last year I don't sweat stuff like I used to...life is just to short for that! That's why I avoid the threads where guys get to arguing and fighting just not worth it. All the guys on here have been really good guys and a great help...including ole warm weather Florida boy!
I always have fun,but then again i beat you....I died at the age of 13yrs old. Not that this is a contest,just amazing what things like this can change a person...Got a really Kick Azz scar out of the deal
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I always have fun,but then again i beat you....I died at the age of 13yrs old. Got a really Kick Azz scar out of the deal
Franken Voo doo?
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:56 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,762 Posts
Quote:
You are sooooo right, My Father did past away 7 month ago, not so old, and he was welltrained also, he did get a heart attack that would killed a welltrained 20 yearold fotballplayer the doctor said, after that, I realized, MAN, life can end quick even if you are doing thing right....

I have to say, this forum and a lot of people here after some time, thay get very close, and we are like one big family here, thats a good thing.

VooDoo, , what happened ,,, accident ..?

Sebbe
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:21 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Mopar - That plug came from a roll of tow that was given to me (like to know what the roll is worth). The leading edge of the wing (where it meets the Fuz) got pretty banged up in that failure to launch. There was some lamination seperation and the one small hole. Since I could not look inside and see the total extent of the damage...decided on a little over kill. The leading edge of these hollow molded things is....hollow...there is no solid piece of wood or carbon rod in there it is just the seam where the two skins meet are pressed together and glued.

That plug in the picture was saturated with epoxy then pushed through the lower hole to the upper one. Pushed from the upper hole across the leading edge till the whole plug was inside. Then evened it out by pushing back from the other direction. Epoxy was then dumped in the middle hole till it filled that whole area and let er cure.

So long story short there is a solid carbon rod now in the leading edge of the wing in the area where it meets the Fuz. So on the next failure to launch the wing won't break the Fuz probably will.
Thanx Arctic !!
I understand now.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainguy View Post
Franken Voo doo?
Franken VooDoo for sure
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Tmi
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
and if anybody wants to know,there is no light,and there is no tunnel .....it just fades to black
well, Im not so sure about that one

Im glad we can get along here and have fun, at least the most of us, that means a lot to me ...

Sebbe
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
After a month offline and out of living time to say hello.
Have had big problems with my health. first with my lumbar disc, ( is a great feeling not to know if you can walk in future ) and after that I got a real heavy flu. high fever several days and my lungs thanked me many years of smoking. Most thx to the college of my girlfriend who brought the flu to there company.
Now doing better and it time to start the build of the Monster.
All parts together now.
Components build inside the black bird.
aileron servos: Graupner DS 3288 BB MG
elevator servo: Graupner DES 448 BB MG
RX: Jeti 2,4 Ghz 6 Channel
Motor: Strecker RS-E 435.25.9
Controller: YGE 150 FAI HV
Lipo: SLS APL 3000 mAh 45/90 C (first 8S up to 10 S Lipo)
LS: testing some different when ready and doing testflights. Folder and fixed props.

Next and first step: glue elevator and rudder pictures follow.

greets
Rolf
nice to be back
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.