HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
can't imagine me doing such meticulous detailed work....good show!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Well done

Hi,

these are very nice pictures of some great metal work and a nice rigg.

Regards

Lothar
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Yankovitch, you are such a nice charmer, but I gladly take a praise from a master like you.
Its getting there Lothar, slowly.
Yesterday my medication knockt me out, that's why that stuff went down the drain.
Today I cut the templates for the sails.
I will go for starters with a traditional jib, the genua typ can come later.
As usual fitting the Lady with her new cloth, showed some problems with the measurements. The angles to the mast and the boom were not right, so I had to do a Joe Cocker and tell the Lady to take her cloth of.
Second fitting was much better, one more Joe and it fit.

Next I will have to do the layout for the batton. I plan to use some some 0.5x3mm carbon fiber strips. I ordered some and than have to see how flexible they are.
Once I decided of the material for the battons size thickness, than the templates can go to Carr
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old May 29, 2013, 11:02 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Long time, but I have a new friend, called shingels. Started first week of March and has really attached to me. Some days are good, some day are soso and some days are just very bad. Every thing that stresses, makes my friend say hello, job, weather you name it.
If you have had chicken pox, you are a candidate for this stuff. Trust me you do not want to meet my friend, I take any time my old friend, called broken ribs or broken leg or broken arm and I have had those friend around quiet a few times.
So if you get anywhere around 50, I am way passed that, get yourself vaccinated. Ain't sheep, but believe me worth the money. If I had no health, I would be out of 3K. If I had the shot, I would have been done with my friend with in a week.
Since the virus from chicken pox is dorment in the nerve endings, it will give you a major hallo when it comes back and it will do it over a very long period of time. The fun thing once you had an outbreak, this friend will hang a round, he loves you so much that he will stay with you for ever. Get stressed and you get the hallo from hell.
If you had chicken pox and you are over 50, no matter how many years over, get the shot.

But never the less I have found a little time between my friend and the business to do some work on the boat.
The RMG builts a little high for the hull, so I decided to install her horizontal. So I had to built a braked , which routs the lines into the vertical. I still had some of those nice rollers from my Robe Atlantis, never get rid of anything, they came in handy. I t was on top of it my first try out of my new mill. Love the toy.
Old Aug 02, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
Have been watching this build with great respect for a long time.

I wish you good health and thanks for the advice, will let my parents know who are the right age for this disease.

Please continue to keep us up to date when you are able!

Best regards,

- Mike
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined May 2009
215 Posts
Shingles shot does not guarantee that you will not get it, my boss got the shot and he had them really bad for 2 months, they say it works 80% of the time. I have also known people that have gotten shingles in their 20's. Hope yours is in one of the better locations.
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
The advantage of the shot, if you get them you heal faster. Mine are on the chest and up my back. They are coming and going, never realy gone jet, we are very busy, main season and I am building a new shop, being a little worn, makes them hang around. Lots of scares.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Finally, I really mean finally, I found some time.
I screwed up the design of the fork for that rather steep gaf. It goes up in a 40 plus degree angle.
I had built the fork straight without considering the angle.
It never worked right, cutting the template for the sail never worked right and I run myself into a corner, bull headed.Some time it is good to just walk away.
The fork became the first project in my new and so lovely garden-shop.
The shop aint finished jet, as the fork, but it is a start.

I dragged a board of the bolivian rosewood out of a corner and after getting 6 inches of dust of it cut a nice chunk of it.
Such lovely wood and such a pleasure to work with.
My knewest toy, the mill came rather handy, rosewood is rather hard and has files and saws for breakfast.
With the mill the cutting not only became easy, but actual fun.
Last edited by Schrott; Nov 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:22 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
One more.

Tomorrow I will get a 1/2 inch hardwood round for the gaf-boom and fit it into the slot and than finish it.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 06:27 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Long Time.

I have been now 4 weeks with out chingles. Nearly 13 month with it.

I sanded the hull. At 6 feet length sanding epoxy gets rather trying.
Especialy with 220.
So I did some experiments.
A fantastic way to sand epoxy is with drywall sanding mesh. The medium is just right It sands with the same quality as a 220 wet, but one can do it dry. It does not clog up and does not get dull.
I sanded the whole hull with one paper.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 06:34 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
after 2 rounds with polyurethane.

One of my biggest frustration was the mast. I could not find out how to attach any sail properly.
Than I saw in a nother forum how a guy built a mast and dooooooooooo, I found out how thick that board in front of my head was.
He built the channel for the sail into the mast during building the mast.
So a new mast will be built
Old Jun 08, 2014, 07:23 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
Rather than scrapping your current mast, could you not just use parrels (rings that go around the mast and are tied to the luff of the sail), like real gaff rigged boats? I've used them on my ships, and they work fine. They can be made of wood, CA-ed paper, or just thread (my easy and fast to make preference).
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 08, 2014, 10:43 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
The original does not have parrels.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 09:13 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
I meant no disrespect, Schrott. I was just thinking that sailing season is slipping away, and if you wanted to get in the water sooner rather than later, parrels would be a way to do so. I had a slotted mast on my Snipe, they are nice, to be sure.

You could also search for an external track (or make one). Or just save the present mast for your next model :-)

Best wishes, your boat is beautiful.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 09, 2014, 06:22 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
No, No, take it easy.
Sailing Season, I might have one this year, McPhee is filling up quiet nicely. Last year it just made 30% and than the Canyon is so deep that no wind gets to the water. It is at 70%, but still 30 feet short, would be like late Fall sailing, just with the wrong winds, south instead north
Niargunep was dry.

I think Thanks Giving might be the day she will get wet. If not next year

But if El Nino comes it will be next year, early and rather long winter, with a ton of welcome snow.

Next week I will start with the mast.