HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
so i had this idea to get an ultra light gloss finish on the depron, you could first work the sanded depron over with a heatgun to 're-skin' it, then mix up some HK finish cure epoxy:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8461
(possibly even thinned a little)
and put it into a disposable mist/spray bottle, and 'mist' the epoxy over the surface...

honestly i have no experience with ultra thin/ light painting/coating... so i'm just suggesting something i may be inclinded to try if i were in your position.
I found out the same thing with the heat gun recently....Sealing the foam seems to be the key to a smooth finish...Even if I wet sand with 600 grit paper I'm finding that Depron fuzzes and pores in the foam open up...

Again, a learning process for me...And my pride won't let me put out a piece of painted crap...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:22 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Some of my models fly best when they finally look that way Kevin.. LOL

When you started thinking about coating with tissue paper I thought you may be getting too elaborate maybe?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:38 PM
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Joined Jun 2011
229 Posts
Nitro check your PM box
jahel is offline Find More Posts by jahel
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:15 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Kevin,

On fff, polycrylic makes the surface get very 'sharp' in that a coat when dry feels a bit like sandpaper. It will make nose blowing tissue stick like fuzz. Anyway, post sand with fine paper, it gets real smooth. Something happens, guessing pores fill, fuzz stiffens, then the sand paper removes all the surface crud.

Anyway, Depron is similar once you sand the skin away. The skin actually is sort of bumpy if you magnify it. Also the differance in trying to fill and sand down to the Depron surface, you see sparkling flakes show through, it is wierd stuff to try and overfinish.

Just remember the last time you were upclose and personal with a full scale airframe, it probably needed a bit of TLC anyway.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Some of my models fly best when they finally look that way Kevin.. LOL

When you started thinking about coating with tissue paper I thought you may be getting too elaborate maybe?
I wasn't going to go with tissue or silkspan on this model---I just wanted to know for future reference..

A plane is only new once---I guess I was expecting to paint the T-45 to look like a Monogram plastic model...Family obligations are pushing back work on anything modeling related...I really need to justget it done and flown and work on a pristine version when flying season is over...I've got enough 2mm Depron to build several!!!

Luis---Maidened yours yet???

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Aug 02, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:04 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I wonŽt wait for the lighter battery I bought from RClipos, and this weekend, IŽll fly it
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:21 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
I've snapped mine twice now. Once I ran out of juice and turned hard to land into the wind. It bled off so much speed that it kinda fell out of the sky.

The other time was when it hooked a nasty tuft of grass on landing and got whipped around and snapped it in half.

It buffed up well and still looks pretty sharp.

I hear you on the finish though Kevin. I went pretty nutso on mine before even flying it and am glad I did so.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Joined Jun 2011
229 Posts
Nitro have you tried the turbo ace motor?
jahel is offline Find More Posts by jahel
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
I applied more filler on the model after taking the primer back down to almost bare foam...It's getting where I want it!!!...Close---So close for final paint after filling a few more nicks dicovered when priming...

Luis--Did you get to maiden yours this weekend???

Kevin
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
I hear you on the finish though Kevin. I went pretty nutso on mine before even flying it and am glad I did so.
As you know it's a pride thing!!!......I want to not only do myself proud but to help showcase a model that you have put blood/sweat/tears into to make you a proud papa of your offspring......

Kevin
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:15 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts

Hopefully my new avatar staring you in the face every reply will help things out? LOL
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:

Hopefully my new avatar staring you in the face every reply will help things out? LOL
It does---GLARINGLY!!!......

Kevin
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:46 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Not yet... hope next weekend. And yours, is ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I applied more filler on the model after taking the primer back down to almost bare foam...It's getting where I want it!!!...Close---So close for final paint after filling a few more nicks dicovered when priming...

Luis--Did you get to maiden yours this weekend???

Kevin
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Not yet... hope next weekend. And yours, is ready?
NOPE!!!......But getting there...I'm applying the final coat of primer this evening...She's looking slick/SICK!!!......

Kevin
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Here is the final finsh before spraying the white.....Lookin' good!!!--But I'm afraid that it will be heavy...It is what it is and will fly great!!!...The glide may be long due to the weight but the speed will put a smile to my face......

Kevin