Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by MikeKucera
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
95 Posts
Discussion
FMS - Warranty Issue

On Friday August 7, 2015 I ordered a FMS 1400 mm F3A Olympus from a hobby shop in British Columbia. It was on sale and there was free shipping within Canada. I also purchased a 5S 4200mAh battery pack at the same time.

I received the items on Friday August 14 and was hoping to have it ready to fly on Sunday August 16.

Much to my disappointment, (1) the fuselage was bowed and twisted; (2) the ESC receiver connector had what appears to be glue in and around the contacts.

Another thing that sort of irritated me was the way the pilot figure was attached to the canopy, a sloppy job, not centered and way too much glue. It's just cosmetic but it makes me wonder what other workmanship issues there may be.

I emailed the hobby shop and they suggested I contact FMS. The hobby shop was willing to replace or refund the Olympus if I shipped it back at my cost. I live in Niagara Falls and the return shipping cost using FedEx (the same courier that was used to send it to me) was $78.83 with a declared value of $0.00. This was a cost I was not willing to pay.

Anyway, I sent an email to FMS and received a reply, contents of both are below. I did block out the name of the hobby shop and distributor because it's not their fault that FMS shipped a defective product.

---------------------------------------------
Subject: FMS Olympus - Very Disappointed
To: support@fmsmodel.com;
Date: Friday, August 14, 2015 10:24 PM

Hello

I received my FMS Olympus earlier today. I purchased it from ■■■■■■■■■ in ■■■■■■■■■, British Columbia, Canada.

Unfortunately the fuselage is bowed and twisted. I've attached a few pictures that I hope illustrate the issue with the fuselage.

Also the ESC receiver connector appears to have glue in and around the contacts.

Another thing that sort of irritated me was the way the pilot figure was attached to the canopy, a sloppy job, not centered and way too much glue. It's just cosmetic but it makes me wonder what other issues there may be.

I'm disappointed. What is FMS going to do to correct this?

Regards
Mike Kucera
Niagara Falls Ontario Canada

6 Attachments:
IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1297_Marked.jpg
IMG_1300.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg

Subject: Re:FMS Olympus - Very Disappointed
To: Michael Kucera (■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■)
Date: Friday, August 14, 2015 11:05 PM

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your great support on FMS products. And we are sorry for all the troubles. We would strongly recommend that you contact the local distributor first to get the most efficient after- sale service. Please donít worry they would take your problems seriously and will give you an efficient solution at the first place. And sure you could mail us again if the local distributor could not meet your satisfaction.

Sorry for all the problems again. Hope can get your kindly understanding.

Best Regards
Fanny

--

Web: www.fmsmodel.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/fmsmodel

In the above reply, Fanny wrote "We would strongly recommend that you contact the local distributor first to get the most efficient after- sale service." OK, who might that be? A Canadian distributor is not listed on the FMS website.

Subject: Re: FMS Olympus - Very Disappointed
To: support@fmsmodel.com;
Cc: [Hobby Shop];
Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:52 AM

Hello

I actually contacted the vendor, ■■■■■■■■■ before sending you the message below. He suggested I contact FMS.
I exchanged several messages with him after getting your reply.
The cost to me to return the entire model for replacement or refund is more than I am willing to pay.
He doesn't have any parts he could send as a replacement.
I've attached all the pictures I originally sent you on August 14 at 10:24 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
I'm hoping FMS will fix this by sending me a new fuselage (not bowed and or twisted) and ESC.
I hope it's not a big deal to transfer the servos from the defective fuselage to a new one.
I've also discovered that I am not the only person who received a bowed fuselage, see http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...olympus-2.html post #27, 29 and 32.

Regards
Mike Kucera
Niagara Falls Ontario Canada

Subject: Re:Re: FMS Olympus - Very Disappointed
Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:10 PM

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your great support on FMS products. And we are sorry for the unsatisfied flying experience. We would strongly recommend that you contact the local distributor: www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■.ca first to get the most efficient after- sale service. Since it would cost a lot to deliver you the part directly from mainland China, would you mind my asking your order in our website in the near future? We would like to put the replaced part in your new order parcel.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards
Fanny

--

This time she listed contact info for the distributor.

Is FMS serious? They are asking me if I am going to buy another of their products so that I can pay the shipping to have the replacement parts sent along with a new order. I'm not about to purchase another product from a manufacturer until all the issues with the current product are dealt with.

This was my first FMS product purchase and probably last.

I sent an email to the listed distributor on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:56 PM

The distributor replied on Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:56 PM writing "I have contacted FMS, as soon as I find out how they will provide warranty for you through us I will let you know."

I few more emails between myself and the distributor and then this one from FMS.

Subject: Re:Fw: Re: FMS Olympus - Very Disappointed
Date: Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:07 PM

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your email. And so sorry for the troubles. Regarding your uncomfortable flying for the 1400MM F3A model plane, we have informed our distributor ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ to replace you one new fuselage and one ESC. But it should be under the condition that you need to pay for the freight fee. If you are agree with this, you could just directly contact them for the replacement parts:
www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■.ca .

Best Regards
Fanny

--

FMS will through the distributor replace the parts only if I pay for the shipping.

Why am I getting charged for shipping when FMS screwed up?

These parts should never have left their factory.

Their quality control is a joke.

I would also like to add that FMS declined to reply to two messages I sent asking why should I have to pay for their lack of quality control.

Anyway after more emails between myself and the distributor to get the lowest shipping cost, I agreed to pay the distributor $67.82 to have the parts shipped.

September 2 - Replacement parts shipped.
September 8 - Replacement parts received.

The distributor was kind enough to ship the fuselage complete with the rudder and elevator servos installed. I discovered why he probably did this when I attempted to remove the servos from the defective fuselage. I can say with 100% certainty that the rudder and elevator servos are installed before the two fuselage halves are joined together. Out of curiosity I split the defective fuselage along the glue joint and found tape that was used to hold the servo leads in place that could only have been applied before the halves were joined.

I also discovered the replacement fuselage fin had a slight but acceptable lean to the right. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first one.

I also had to scavenge one of the plastic rear screw wells for securing the wing from the defective fuselage and install it the new one because whoever installed the part in the replacement fuselage used the part that was for the front screws. The screw wouldn't align with the threaded insert.

September 20 - First and second flight. I have since removed the wheel pants and installed 3-1/4" wheels. Wheels are too small for at the sod farm.

I don't think I should have had to pay the shipping to get the parts I should have gotten in the first place.
MikeKucera is offline Find More Posts by MikeKucera
to remove ads between posts