Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:54 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msburko
Darksiede:
Any word on the V-tail mod. Seems very promising.
I'm not going to do it until next time I need to replace my tail feathers.. I had just stuck a new set on before that idea hit me.. I posted it up in case anyone else wanted to give it a shot :P

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2008, 08:42 AM
Joined Jul 2008
38 Posts
Vapor Fuselage Mod

Here's my vapor fuselage mod.

Vapor Fuselage

I took some pictures of my kids playing pilot and high chair co-pilot.

Just print, add some sparse doubles died tape, cut, thread it through the working of the plane and stick.
Flies great still does loops. Seems to harrier better than it ever did before. I did my first tail tap ever. Not sure if it has a better weight balance or if the fuselage acts as like a rudder to keep it from fluttering as much.

I've attached a PDF that can also be opened in Adobe Illustrator if anyone wants to try this.
penguin71 is offline Find More Posts by penguin71
Old Aug 03, 2008, 05:34 PM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
Mod the BOX!!

The Vapor is very well designed. There is little or no modification to improve the plane. So I started looking at the box.

Instead of a slide out tray how about a flip top box?

Note the extra feature of the rim of the cover and 45 degree cut to the hinge. They make the new top of the box more stable.

Build suggestion:
Put the tray (empty) in the box and glue all the flaps. Mark a rim around three sides 1" down from the new cover. Draw the 45 degree line to the new hinge. Use a sharp utiltiy knife or box cutter to cut the new cover loose. The cardboard thickness varies as you go around. Watch the depth of the cutter. Avoid cutting into the foam.

I did not but you could consider putting an extra layer of cardboard or something harder so you know when you are through the box.

Thinking outside the box... Mitch
(could not stop myself)
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2005
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin71
Here's my vapor fuselage mod.

Vapor Fuselage
I took some pictures of my kids playing pilot and high chair co-pilot.
I don't get wowed too easily.... but once in a while, something so simple and brilliant comes along, and it's like... duh... why didn't I think of that!!!??? This is a big WOW! Such a great idea, and I'm sure the kids love it too! AWESOME idea and execution!!! best mod yet!

-Crabfu
crabfu is offline Find More Posts by crabfu
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:03 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
1,699 Posts
pretty snazzy, although if i could redo the box mod again i would cut it like yours

Torx is online now Find More Posts by Torx
Old Aug 03, 2008, 08:26 PM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
Do we need a Box Mods thread?

Torx:

I like the carry handle. That will have to be my next upgrade!

Like that spongbob episode. Who knew we could have so much fun with a cardboard box.

So... Do we need a Box Mods thread?
Old Aug 03, 2008, 09:09 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Haha, here is another 'box mod.' I was afraid that the transmitter may somehow come out of its slot in transportation, so I added a small latch I made to hold it in there. A piece of 1/8" plywood and a Du-Bro hinge point epoxied into the foam. The hingepoint just clicks in and out easily, but won't allow the antennae to move a bit.

I also made the box top hinged, as others have done. And added a duct tape carrying handle
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Aug 04, 2008, 12:06 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Night Flyer Mod with Removable LED (and, while I'm at it, here's my box mod)

I didn't want the extra weight of an LED during daytime flying, so I decided to make it removable. Here's a simple solution. Solder some spare LED leads onto the black and red wires between the battery connector and the brick. Stagger the solder connections front to back and put them on the outer edges of the wires to minimize chances of accidental contact, which would probably fry your lipo.

CA the newly soldered leads to the frame, with the leads pointing out towards the respective wingtips. If you use kicker, be careful not to hit the wing or it'll take off the coloring. Once the CA is thoroughly bonded, simply twist the leads of an LED onto your newly soldered leads. Do this before you plug in the battery. Make sure the LED is held snugly by its leads to avoid an accidental short. LED points straight up at the bottom of the center of the wing. Because the wing is translucent, it gets lit up top and bottom. Pull out your trusty multimeter on resistor setting and make sure the LED leads are not somehow shorting each other. Once you've double-checked the visual inspection to make sure you don't have a short, plug the battery in and let there be light.

The hatcam didn't pick up it up, but the LED lit up most of the wing, top and bottom. In the video, it only shows the central portion of the wing that was lit up the most. I sanded the LED to help diffuse the light a bit more to the wingtips. Actually, I sanded it before I put it on. It's easier that way. For daytime flying, simpy untwist the leads and take the LED off. Make sure the CA's leads are still pointing away from each other to avoid shorts. Not the most sophisticated approach, but I never claimed to be sophisticated.

Also, while I had the camera out, I took some pics of my box mod. I hinged a piece of foam board to the foam box that came with the Vapor. The closure straps are made of velcro and tape. The handle is made of tape, too. This is for the BNF version and I only carry the plane, no charger. May need to beef up the handle a bit if you're planning on carrying your tx and charger, and make sure that those heavier objects can't slide around and crush your poor, defenseless little Vapor.

Vapor Night Flying Mod (0 min 27 sec)
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Last edited by Darth_Elevator; Aug 04, 2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:13 AM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Hey, if it works...then who cares how it looks
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
759 Posts
vapor brick cuts motor off at 3.5V

My vapor brick DSM2 compatable receiver cuts motor off at 3.5V.
Anyone else having this problem?
scharlach is offline Find More Posts by scharlach
Old Aug 05, 2008, 02:28 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
1,699 Posts
thank you penguin for that pdf, thats such an awesome idea.. im going to photoshop myself into it and use it.. lmao
Torx is online now Find More Posts by Torx
Old Aug 06, 2008, 07:26 AM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
Gearbox removal

Want to remove the gearbox so I can slide off the battery tray.

My gearbox is good so I won't cut it off.

Will simple CA debonder do it or is it a different glue?

Anybody?

Thanks, Mitch

CAFplanekid: You snuck in a TX/battery mod too. That velcro on the TX to hold flight batteries. Pretty clever. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post10276156
Old Aug 06, 2008, 02:44 PM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Carbon Fiber Prop

What size prop do you think would be a good replacement for the Vapor? The stock prop and spinner is 1.1g and the prop itself is .9g. The stock size is 140mm X 45mm. These are some carbon fiber props I've found:

Prop Description:
Maximum Diameter: 101 mm (4.0")
Prop Gradient: 68 mm (2.7")
Weight: 0.30 g
Hole Diameter: 1.0 mm
Maximum Thrust: 40 g

Prop Description:
Maximum Diameter: 127 mm (5.0")
Prop Gradient: 76 mm (3.0")
Weight: 0.35 g
Maximum Thrust: 25 g

Prop Description:
Prop Gradient: 89 mm (3.5")

Prop Description:
Maximum Diameter: 140 mm (5.5")
Prop Gradient: 76 mm (3")
Weight: 0.6 g

So, even using the 140mm prop I could save .3g. But I was thinking of going smaller, maybe the 101x68 or the 127x76. The stock prop has a very low gradient, so I think a smaller prop with a higher gradient would give about the same thrust? Is that right?
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old Aug 06, 2008, 06:16 PM
Joined Jul 2008
8 Posts
Who's selling a bind n fly online in stock now?

Thanks
Hiittman is offline Find More Posts by Hiittman
Old Aug 07, 2008, 10:22 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd7711
What size prop do you think would be a good replacement for the Vapor? The stock prop and spinner is 1.1g and the prop itself is .9g. The stock size is 140mm X 45mm. These are some carbon fiber props I've found:

Prop Description:
Maximum Diameter: 101 mm (4.0")
Prop Gradient: 68 mm (2.7")
Weight: 0.30 g

Prop Description:
Prop Gradient: 76 mm (3.0")

Prop Description:
Prop Gradient: 89 mm (3.5")

Prop Description:
Maximum Diameter: 140 mm (5.5")
Prop Gradient: 76 mm (3")
Weight: 0.6 g

So, even using the 140mm prop I could save .3g. But I was thinking of going smaller, maybe the 101x68 or the 127x76. The stock prop has a very low gradient, so I think a smaller prop with a higher gradient would give about the same thrust? Is that right?
The last one sounds good to me. I have been trying to figure it out too. The props are expensive and I don't want to buy one that doesn't work as well as the stock one. I hope you figure it out for us.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched