SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2014, 08:43 AM
United States, TX, League City
Joined Feb 2009
985 Posts
Thanks Roger, E.J. Earl.
You are very correct Earl. it is the start of a new beggining.
We have a small search cone that we we search for affordable housing. A friend verified my thoughts on it, will likely concentrate on trailer parks.
I am kind of aiming for some what depressed areas but not where the crime and gangs are. I would rather not have to fill some trash with buck shot.

We will check into sec 8.

Ken
greyflight390 is offline Find More Posts by greyflight390
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2014, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2009
985 Posts
Update on our plans
We were going to go to Leavenworth, Kansas for a soft landing at my wifes daughter. We can mare than easily pay our own freight wherever we end up at. And more than fairly reimbursed. And will in a few months get out own our own.

We are not welcome or wanted there.

Wife is understandably heart broken.

I told her We have fought and done every thing we can to stay out of California. But it is the only door that God has not closed in our face at near the last minute. So we are going. My rather elderly mother is in Modesto, CA. And never wanted us to leave Ca. Has asked us constantly to come live with her. So we have a soft landing pad there.

My wife asked could we make it on the money we have. My rough calcs at the time suggested we might make it. But I told her we are going on faith.
I then that evening was able to research it better and was more confident.
I since determined we will have money come in in the middle of our trip, and the moving van was a lot cheaper than I first thought.
I am certain we will have the funds for the trip.

My driving is going be a matter of prayer and gutting thru the pain that causes with out medicating it. With frequent stops, and walking the dog, short legs, and limited hours I can do it. I will do it. GOD BLESS THE WONDERFUL MAN THAT INVENTED CRUISE CONTROL. That is the thing that is going to make a whopping difference.

There is a 2 car garage there.

I hope sometime in November, December to resume building

We covet your prayers. We plan to leave Oct. 19 and stop half way between Houston, Tx and Clovis NM I have a good friend from the BHOTR site there So that will make a good visit and night stop. That also starts with 2 short legs so I can test myself.

So I will pick the thread back up in a month or 2.

Ken
Old Oct 11, 2014, 04:40 AM
Joined Jul 2011
148 Posts
Grey I've been lurking since this thread started. Not welcome or wanted? That's beyond heartbreaking even through the distance of the internet.

I can think of several reasons not to go to California but I can only imagine what yours are. Safe travels man. I don't generally pray but I'll let one loose for you.
NoiseBox is offline Find More Posts by NoiseBox
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:09 AM
Joined Feb 2009
985 Posts
IT was tough on my wife really rough. She has dealt with it really well though.

NB a pray from you means a lot especially with your statement. I know you will be heard.

You just keep on lurking. There will be be something to see down there the road (uh that maybe pun was an accident).

Ken
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:15 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,844 Posts
This is tough to hear...unwelcome, unwanted......
.But your Momma may need you, and whatever you have to offer may be a comfort to her.She's wanted her boy back and this may be in the cards..

Best of luck to you guys...I'm a praying man, and you can rest assured you'll be included.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 09:31 AM
Joined Feb 2009
985 Posts
I think you are 100% correct. Earl on all counts.

We figure God wants us there. And no matter what that is where we are going. Jona comes to mind.

I will have to find some clubs.

Ken
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,528 Posts
We've lived all around, Arkansas, and other "eastern states". And all over California. Spent 28 yrs in Visalia, which is about 2 hrs south of Modesto. IModesto is the only bottle neck on HWY 99, where SF bay area traffic seems to effect afternoon commute. Probably not so bad if you live there and stay off the hwy at certain times. We have many friends and some family living there. From what I can tell, the weather is about same as Visalia, however I believe there is less trapped air pollution there. Also, you will be rather close to mountains that WILL knock your sox off, plus some excellent trout fishing. (I miss that the most!). I'll be your neighbor, about 5 hr drive northwest of Modesto, along the coast, above San Fransisco. As bad as everyone seems to think Californisa is, I was certainly glad to get back after trying points east. It does have its advantages. It gets hot, but the humidity seldom approaches what you find east of the Rockies. From what I can tell, the people in Modesto are as friendly as any I've met anywhere else, in the USA. California can ALWAYS use good people, especially SCALE modelers.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:52 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,100 Posts
Ken... I understand the "unwelcome/unwanted" all to well. Long story short... My parents through their mis-actions were instrumental in putting my son in Federal prison at the ripe age of 18 for 12 years. We (my wife and I) wanted to get him help for his drug addiction and had it "in the bag" until they stuck their nose where it doesn't belong. Now my side of the family has disowned us as we were the bad people for trying to help our son. All this because we were going to "put him away" in a year long program.....

I just don't understand people sometimes.

OK 'nuff about me. Gods speed to you and your wife on your relocation. I know you will land on your feet. OH, I agree about cruse control. I use it if I even go a mile!!

Ken (TOK)
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:43 PM
Joined Feb 2009
985 Posts
Hi packardpursuit
Yeah you are right about a whole bunch of things about the area. I grew up there. Then left when I joined the Navy. And the I went to Sacramento area. I spent about 3 years in Norfolk Virginia, 1 1/2 years in Vallejo CA, and 14 years in San Diego CA whilst in the Navy.

For a little travel there is some darn good fishing. Don't know about the hunting though. Sure ain't no wild hog hunting I THINK. For a 3-4 hour drive I know where some good Salmon fishing is. I love the way they fight. Like to eat 'em too. Wife wont eat salmon though. But dang, she sure loves Trout. So do I.

Mountains are close and ocean is close. Some good camping.
I hunted Dove up close to Highway 5 near Newman as a teen. Still got that shotgun.

Ken
Old Oct 11, 2014, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2009
985 Posts
Thanks for the story Ken. I understand you in my heart.

I had to put my oldest son in a home for kids with mental issues. Hardest thing I have ever done.

I just don't get this family thing nowadays. Blood is blood.

And I don't get the hypocrisy of the church we attended. We were obviously just not up to their class. And needed help several times.
But for the grace of God there go any one of us. A catastrophic illness or injury would put many families into our shoes.

Getting disability is pretty much a game. They will make you wait in an attempt to starve you into taking a job even if you are not physically able to. And then they will deny you. My lawyer made sure I knew what I was going to go through in that regards. So I was shocked to get it on only the second appeal.

I am plotting out routs and stops.
My driving is going to be a big limiting factor. After a short time the pain mounts and I loose feeling in my right foot. Where I have to really watch it is that I don't want the DR's to take my license. So I just shut up. We are figuring 8 hour drive with plenty of stop for me and the dog.

Still packing but it it is well under control. Tossing plenty to the curb. Next up is my shop area. Some more old plane parts are getting tossed. I not about to toss any tools this time. I left some big items in Iowa.

I have some FORMER members of the church coming over to help load and some help from across the street.

Ken
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,844 Posts
"Churches" are still just people, Ken....The One in this picture is just that far from me.

I took the picture of the Sunrise a couple of years ago, and I thought-that preacher has never been to my house........I don't even know his name...I've cleared the snow from the parking lot on Sunday mornings for years, with nary a thank you...

God gives us Sunrises, and they're free.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Oct 12, 2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:18 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflight390 View Post
I am plotting out routs and stops.
My driving is going to be a big limiting factor. After a short time the pain mounts and I loose feeling in my right foot. Where I have to really watch it is that I don't want the DR's to take my license. So I just shut up. We are figuring 8 hour drive with plenty of stop for me and the dog.
That is eight hours of driving per day, right?

Since you mentioned I-40, I took out a road map. I-40 to barstow, Highway 58 to 99 and then up?

That's a long haul, and a lot of empty landscape. Just keep in mind that you are on a lot of folks minds here, okay?

EJ
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Oct 12, 2014, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,844 Posts
Ken- due to a 'glitch' my in-box is full...Gimme a little time to unglitch, and PM me agin, please.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
985 Posts
Hey E.J. That would be my wife is limiting me to 8 hours of total wheel time a day.
Earl I I am hunting for what I PM'd you. will resend if I can find it. If not I will just re-reply.
I have a limited amount of internet right now .

Went to a motel till we leave. They charge for internet. But I was very polite to them with my answer.
We did solve the problem though limited internet access at the moment

Ken