HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:27 PM
Chch, NZ
Democratic Republic of the Congo, Katanga, Haut-Katanga
Joined Mar 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenniffs View Post
Regards the recent hoo-ha on the internet about the FTDI chips and drivers getting bricked if they are not original (seems the FTDI creators have gotten some code written into a recent windows update that will brick counterfeit chips -or something like that...).
I saw a post on one of my FB FPV pages this morning that seems to indicate that FTDI are now backing away from bricking all the copy-copy FTDI chips after getting a huge amount of negative backlash regards it.
What did they think would happen? everyone would thank them for bricking their devices that they thought were legit with no warning at all (unless you tokk the time to delve deep into the EULA they had packaged with it, and really, who does that?).
Might still pay to wait a while for any updates to the windows drivers to be corrected back to original...
Kenniffs is offline Find More Posts by Kenniffs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:45 PM
Jason KD0ZEQ
United States, CO, Snowmass
Joined Nov 2012
231 Posts
To chime in here have been going back and forth with Charles on updating driver for FTDI on windows 8- As of right now the drivers alone off of the mfd website will not work on windows 8. There might be add on drivers on the FTDI web page.
Nice to know there is some sort of explanation as i was going nuts to why not work?
Reverting back to windows seven for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubjay View Post
Hi everybody- thought I'd post here first with a noob question. - I got a new computer with windows 8- I want to re flash my firmware so need to setup everything all over again . For some reason I can not for the life of me get the ttl driver for USB to install so you can have a port. Everything else is good. I know in the manual says you have to interrupt the install and do it manually. I am new to windows 8 and what am I missing here? I try to interrupt but it still installs but can't use it because of drivers. I go device manager I do see there I try to update manually with the ttl drivers down loaded from Myflydream. Any help would be appreciated as I do not know what else to do.I like the AP to much to give up.
Dubjay is offline Find More Posts by Dubjay
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
896 Posts
I'm lost as to what driver will or won't break an FTDI device.

Would any Windows 7 update installed today via the Microsoft servers ensure that the installed FTDI driver will not brick chips?

Alternately -- is there a link available to a known to be safe roll-back driver?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ