HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2013, 09:09 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Discussion
Martyn Cowley RIP

Just learned that Martyn Cowley, former editor of Aeromodeller and top free flighter has succumbed to a massive heart attack. R.I.P.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Last edited by kkphantom; May 20, 2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: .......
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2013, 11:51 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,503 Posts
Just received the terrible news here as well. He passed away on Friday.

He was a very good Free Flight man indeed. First met up with him in Denmark at the '77 World Champs when we flew F1C.
He flew all sorts of FF models from when he lived in his native UK, to when he moved to the USA to be involved with Paul MacCready and the human powered flying machines as well as the solar powered aircraft.

He really is a big loss at not an old age to aeromodelling. RIP Martin.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old May 20, 2013, 01:04 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,633 Posts
Sadness and disbelief. He was far too young.
Perhaps Martyn's level of excellence, activity and achievement overstressed the machine a bit...

A little FF story in tribute:
In the mid-seventies, I went to watch an international FF event in France. As the British team were "setting up", I asked Martyn why all the other top competitors had engine starters mounted on short poles (they just pushed the nose of the plane into the starter to start the engine).
Martyn replied that he'd served his time in CL combat pit crews (with Richard Wilkens), and that his Rossi, properly set up, would start with one whack, quicker than carefully pushing a plane nose into a starter...
He then proceeded to prove it, five times out of five, and won... RIP Martyn
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2013, 10:39 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Martyn interviewed and then hired me at AeroVironment, back in 1989. In the years since, I had the privilege of working with him, but the best times were the lunchtime flying sessions at the local park. He was a great guy and his loss will be felt throughout the worldwide modeling community.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old May 22, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1 Posts
Dick Paquette

Greetings - do you have any info at all regarding services for Martyn. I retired from Boeing recently, but for a couple of years we worked quite closely on integrating a comms relay with the Puma.
Dick Paquette is offline Find More Posts by Dick Paquette
Old May 22, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
I still work at AV and I haven't of any services for Martyn yet. We'll probably get a bunch of folks together one day soon, for a mass flyoff of Martyn's hand-launched and catapult glider designs.

Back in 1994, when we were a much smaller company, we all built his Gold Rush HLG design and had a blast tossing these things around in the local park at lunchtime. One day, I launched directly into a massive thermal and last saw my Gold Rush as it headed downwind while climbing very quickly. Martyn jumped on his bicycle and gave chase, returning to the office an hour later while regretting that he wasn't able to track it down. I think another flying session would be a fitting tribute.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old May 22, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
Got this from Ray Morgan.

- Norm

Friends,
I have some bad news to share, with apologies for the group email. Martyn Cowley died of a massive heart attack this past Friday night. He apparently died in an ambulance being transferred from a local E-R to a better equipped hospital, after driving himself to the local E-R. (Typical of Martyn, he did not want to impose on anyone when he apparently felt symptoms at some point Friday afternoon.)
We are planning to have an informal memorial service, coupled with an indoor model fly-in (an event Martyn got started locally some years back) in a Gymnasium here in Simi. Currently, we are planning this for 7:30 in the evening on June 15. We will send out a set of Martyn's plans for a balsa "chuck glider" for those who'd like to build one and bring it for a group "chuck glider" launch at the end of the memorial. There will probably be some liquid libation after as well, and light snacks. If you think you might be able to come, please respond to this email, and we will include you in our distribution of details as the time approaches.
His parents may or may not be able to get here from England for the event. Martyn's remains are going to be interred in England, with a formal funeral held there. He was 64 years old.

Best to all,
Ray
Ray Morgan
raymorgan@mac.com
805-527-0132

Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Norm Furutani; May 23, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 03:33 AM
Joined Jul 2009
69 Posts
Very sad news. Martyn was a true all rounder and a very good combat flyer in his
younger days : I believe he reached the final of the British nationals in the late sixties/early seventies when there was a huge entry and you had to be very good to do that. I last saw him two years ago on one of his annual visits to the uk when he attended a vintage combat event. He was as enthusiastic as ever about aeromodelling and control line in particular
FLatspin7 is offline Find More Posts by FLatspin7