HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Discussion
2012 SlopeAerobatics.com Video Contest: VOTE FOR THE WINNERS!!

- - - - - - - - -

Update September 2nd: VOTING THREADS ARE UP!!!

Like always, the polls are open for 3 days... ending on September 5th at about 12:20pm. So better get voting!!

People's Choice: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724283

Best VTPR: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724280

Best Precision: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724279

- - - - - - - - -

OK it's "that time" again... for another video contest! This will be the fourth year of the contest and I think the time has come to mix things up a bit. See archive of previous contests here: http://www.slopeaerobatics.com/category/video-contests/

I still want to keep the "People's Choice" award for best overall slope aerobatics video, but maybe now that there are so many more people taking up the banner of aerobatic and VTPR flying, it's time to offer some additional categories?

I was thinking that the following three categories would be cool. Like with the Academy Awards, a video could be submitted for one or more categories, and a really awesome video could win all three (unlikely but possible).

The Categories
  • People's Choice: The traditional format. A 3min or less video of the best aerobatic footage you can amass. It doesn't have to be you flying, but the video must be your own creation. Must be new footage, either shot for the event or at the minimum not published before. Videos are submitted and voted on by the readership of the RCG Slope Forum and the most popular entry wins.

• Best VTPR Video: For the findraggers out there. A 3min or less video of the best VTPR footage you can amass. For our purposes, this needs to feature flying performed at mostly less than 10' altitude (preferably head high above the terrain or less), not including turnaround figures, pumps, loops, etc. The lower, the better. Like the People's Choice, it doesn't have to be you flying, but the video must be your own creation and it must be new or previously unpublished footage. Videos are submitted and voted on by the readership of the RCG Slope Forum and the most popular entry wins.

• Best Precision Aerobatics Video: Not everyone has a great VTPR slope, but some have amazing lift on tap and the ability to exploit that in the form of big air precision aerobatics. We could go two ways here, I could cook up an Aresti routine and then judge entrant's on their performance, or we could do it freestyle. I don't care, so long as the focus is on big clean precision aerobatics. I know there are plenty of you out there flying this way, so this is for you! Again, 3min, original/unpublished footage, edited by you. Videos are submitted and voted on by the readership of the RCG Slope Forum and the most popular entry wins - - unless we do a judged format, at the participating pilots' request, and subject to the avalability of qualified judges.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Prizes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

People's Choice
1) Minivec kit (courtesy SoaringUSA and SlopeAerobatics.com)

2) $100 SoaringUSA Gift Certificate (courtesy SoaringUSA)

3) Weasel-Evo kit (courtesy Dream-Flight)

4) "Caution: Low Flying Fish" t-shirt (courtesy SlopeAerobatics.com)

VTPR
1) Flow kit (courtesy Future Slope Designs)

2) Futaba flight pack (courtesy Futaba)

3) GreatPlanes builder's supply pack (courtesy GreatPlanes)

Precision
1) Le Fish kit (courtesy Leading Edge Gliders)

2) Lift Ticket Director's Cut / Lift Ticket to Norway DVD package (courtesy Reese Productions)

3) 2 x KST DS115 high speed servos (courtesy Aloft Hobbies)

HUGE THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS FOR THEIR SUPPORT!!
Please show your appreciation by making them your first choice for your hobby supplies.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

What do "interested parties" think of the above? Last year's entries showed that we've now got a huge array of awesome aerobatics flying to choose from: traditional academic aeros, VTPR, DS acro, and "all of the above" mashups of some or all of the above. I think we should try to open this up a little and let the standouts of each discipline really shine.

I'll announce prizes once I have those details firmed up. Announced above!

Thanks! Here's to another fun year of slope aerobatics videos!!!

Deadline for submissions: September 1st, 2012

HUGE THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!!! The vendors listed above have demonstrated that they support slope aerobatics, a "niche-within-niche" that is growing daily within our sport. Please put them at the top of your list when considering where to make your next purchase.

Thank you,

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Sep 03, 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added PRIZES!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,962 Posts
The 3 categories seems a good idea.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,682 Posts
Great idea Steve.
Some of us may want to do aeros and try some vtpr.
The categories may require a different plane/slope?
Does the entry have to be one or the other?
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Some of us may want to do aeros and try some vtpr.
The categories may require a different plane/slope?
Does the entry have to be one or the other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Like with the Academy Awards, a video could be submitted for one or more categories, and a really awesome video could win all three (unlikely but possible)
You could enter one video and submit it for consideration in all categories (assuming it had relevant content), or you could create three videos and submit one for each category. Or some varation thereof.

It's up to you; I'm trying to encourage creativity, not stifle it

It is absolutely possible to fly VTPR and disciplined aerobatics in the same flight, at the same slope, on the same day... if the pilot and plane are up to it. Are you?

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,231 Posts
Oh No ! - that time of year again ! - awesome slope aeros comp, and stuck in central London again !

3x categories seems interesting, but you dont say how VTPR & classic are to be judged. How on earth are you supposed to judge 10ft altitude on a video - and do I get extra points for dodging the wire fence on my slope that takes up the first 3ft?

My 2c:
"peoples choice" as usual - then:
special awards to:
- best VTPR
- best classical

FWIW - despite the VTPR hype - the "people" chose best the best "classical" entry last year (or maybe the most classic slope location)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
3x categories seems interesting, but you dont say how VTPR & classic are to be judged.
Error of omission - my apologies. Both will be judged by popular vote as well.

I will make an exception if anyone is interested in doing a disciplined precision programme. In that case, I would offer myself as a judge, and request Ian Cole participate in the judging as well. Surely we could find one other qualified judge for the panel too.

Quote:
How on earth are you supposed to judge 10ft altitude on a video - and do I get extra points for dodging the wire fence on my slope that takes up the first 3ft?
Obviously impressions are going to count for a lot. If it doesn't look like 10' in the video, then you won't do as well. For that matter, 10' is too high, anyways, but let's not put too many artificial restrictions in place.

I propose flying as low as possible and touching the airplane to the ground a lot, per Le.Frog's fantastic "Drawings in the Sand" video. Then it's quite unambiguous.

VTPR is definitely one of those things where you know it when you see it.

Quote:
FWIW - despite the VTPR hype - the "people" chose best the best "classical" entry last year (or maybe the most classic slope location)
Or maybe in spite of the VTPR hype, no?

Hence the reasoning behind the separate categories. This should be a both/and, not an either/or.

I produce a lot of VTPR content, but it's only one kind of flying and certainly not the only or best kind of aerobatics. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:33 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
I will make an exception if anyone is interested in doing a disciplined precision programme. In that case, I would offer myself as a judge, and request Ian Cole participate in the judging as well. Surely we could find one other qualified judge for the panel too.
Steve
I'd give that a go - if I can get some suitable slope time in. Doing Ian Cole's comps was really instructive for me - I learnt some cool new moves. Shame I was the only entrant last time. Never mind 3x judges, have to get 3x entries first!
I suggest you make it an interesting/challenging "sequence" though - rather than individual separate moves.

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,682 Posts
Your aresti challenge sounds great. Sounds like a good idea to get everyone to fly the same routine and be judged on the precision/quality of the moves.
Creative categories could be the other 2 categories you mention.
With 3 vids per entrant it could be a bumper year of entries.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
I'd give that a go - if I can get some suitable slope time in. Doing Ian Cole's comps was really instructive for me - I learnt some cool new moves. Shame I was the only entrant last time. Never mind 3x judges, have to get 3x entries first!
I suggest you make it an interesting/challenging "sequence" though - rather than individual separate moves.
I've sent Ian a note, I hope he responds in the affirmative.

I also agree about the importance of a continuous sequence versus one-off moves. It makes a great demand of pilot, plane, slope and cameraperson, but it results in far more compelling video. IMHO.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,491 Posts
I'm excited to give this another go with a 4-axis plane.
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JGAF; Jul 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:24 AM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
Looks like fun. Big air precision aerobatics is a great idea. I'd vote for pure freestyle. Having competed in full scale aerobatics, I'll guarantee that watching the same program flown by a bunch of people is gets boring really fast. Freestyle is a lot more interesting to watch. :-)
winterstick is offline Find More Posts by winterstick
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:39 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
"Looks like fun. Big air precision aerobatics is a great idea. I'd vote for pure freestyle. Having competed in full scale aerobatics, I'll guarantee that watching the same program flown by a bunch of people is gets boring really fast. Freestyle is a lot more interesting to watch. :-)"

A big +1!

Please! No Aresti routine.

I refer you back to "Ian Down Under", he put a lot of effort into an international precision aerobatic competition a couple of years ago. Result - two entries.

Freestyle all the way!
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:42 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
OK, so it sounds like no compulsory routine.

What about judging for the precision part? Is there any desire for that, or just straightforward people's choice?

I have zero desire to judge performances... but, will try to get it arranged if there is a demand for that.

To me, good flying speaks for itself, and cuts across skill level: a great performance will tend to inspire both neophyte and zealot and doesn't require external validation beyond that. See: Dawson Henderson, Swiss Peter, Michael Richter, etc

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:44 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitter View Post
Would anyone be interested in filming at Weasel Fest? I'd like to enter this again, but finding a camera man this time around might be difficult.
Don't worry about that! I have a feeling we'll have plenty of cameras on hand. Just show up and fly. If you stand out, you'll definitely get on film and may wind up in a magazine. And you'll certainly have plenty of footage for the contest

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:50 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Agree with your last sentiment (once I looked it up in the dictionary!)

Folks watching the vid can see for themselves if a loop is oval not round, or a four point roll is not at 90degrees each etc.
IMO let the people view and vote!
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger