HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:16 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
$40 per year is well worth it and pennies compared to everything else in this hobby.
+10!
I re-upped, last weekend, myself.
Fred obviously enjoys what he does, provides great coverage, lets you download movies directly if you want, and there's always tidbits you won't find anywhere else.
(Plus, I have to admit, I enjoy seeing the FLG's out there... so I figure I should support that)
Waiting for the 2013 calendar, too
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2008
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
$40 per year is well worth it and pennies compared to everything else in this hobby.
It amazes me how cheap some people can be in this hobby. One of my clubs was in a bit of a financial problem. Membership dues were not going to cover our expenses for the year. We only had 22 members paying $50 each. Our expenses are around $1500 per year thanks to a high lease for our land. We decided to have a Fun Fly to help raise money for the club. We charged a $10 landing fee which included lunch and a raffle of a few items. One of the members was upset about the landing fee. He just didn't seem to understand that it was a fundraiser. Who in this hobby complains about $10?
DonEmmel is offline Find More Posts by DonEmmel
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:25 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonEmmel View Post
It amazes me how cheap some people can be in this hobby. Who in this hobby complains about $10?
Same thing with club initiation fees. Every time we try to get it dropped someone will say that they had to pay it, so everyone else should have to pay it too. What? Are they that worried about the $50 they paid 30 years ago in a thousand dollar hobby?
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,928 Posts
Considering the money I spend for a gazillion cable channels that don't have chitznit worth watching, I'm thinking about Apple TV, NFL Network, Netflix, HigherPlanes, and tell the cable company where to stick their Jersey Housewives... now to convince the wife.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,897 Posts
So I can download the video's to my iPad somehow and watch them on my travels? I travel for work a lot and that would be awesome and worth the membership fee.

What is the website?
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Considering the money I spend for a gazillion cable channels that don't have chitznit worth watching, I'm thinking about Apple TV, NFL Network, Netflix, HigherPlanes, and tell the cable company where to stick their Jersey Housewives... now to convince the wife.
If you figure out how to convince her, Please share your strategy. Nothing I've tried so far has worked
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:15 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
So I can download the video's to my iPad somehow and watch them on my travels? I travel for work a lot and that would be awesome and worth the membership fee.

What is the website?
They're .mov files. They should play (Or can be easily converted to play if not)
http://higherplaneproductions.com
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:31 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Turned off cable TV and phone last week. Got my DIY antennas in the attic and all the local channels are at 100% strength.

Total monthly savings $175.00
Total cost of antennas and gear $150
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:01 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Turned off cable TV and phone last week. Got my DIY antennas in the attic and all the local channels are at 100% strength.

Total monthly savings $175.00
Total cost of antennas and gear $150
I haven't had cable or satellite since before my children were born. My antenna works but I don't bother with OTA television except a few times per year. I do have amazon prime for the shipping though, and get netflix every other winter or so.

As for Flight pass, I bought some of their DVDs/bluerays...worth the money. But I don't know if I would pay for online videos. Any trial memberships?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
They're .mov files. They should play (Or can be easily converted to play if not)
http://higherplaneproductions.com
Thanks for the link. I don't know what a .mov file is
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,351 Posts
.mov is a QuickTime movie file. Aka mac compatible
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:10 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,070 Posts
Once you start editing video, all the different file and codec thing becomes a giant cluster operation. If you have your own camera and it's software it's not so bad, but when you have multiple camera guys and different cameras, there's MOCs and AVIs and MTS files and all sorts of other things that XP can't deal with, even with the latest codec package.

Finally, in desperation I switched to Windows Seven, which supposedly can handle anything. If course, now my camera guy shoots in the MTS format, and I can get that to work by changing the extension to AVI. I'm not sure, though, if I am losing any quality like that.

The worst part is that no one around here seems to know anything about all these codecs. I just need to buy a bad ass HD camera and be done with it.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:26 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,643 Posts
I'm on seven and had no issues with mts. I am using Sony Vegas to edit and it's happy with them as well...also I highly recommend Vegas. 100 bucks, very capable, and not that difficult to use if you take your time.

If you are ever in a fit of frustration download VLC media player and it will play most everything out of the box.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
+1 on vegas...
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:43 PM
Deutschland, BW, Ebersbach an der Fils
Joined May 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Thanks for the link. I don't know what a .mov file is
.mov schould be very great for your ipad, couse it is a apple codec.
morrigan is online now Find More Posts by morrigan