SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:27 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Plane flys great, unlimited vertical. Nice!!! Thanks everyone for your help. For those interested I get about 4 mins of flight time with a heavy thumb! I'm using 5 cell 2650 Sky Lipos.

Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Nov 07, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:42 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
i'm glad everything worked out
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Rear Gear Door Mod

Hi guys, just wanted to show you what I've done to get my rear gear doors to work better, and with some luck, stay open while the gear is down and during flight. I used an idea from an earlier poster who used piano wire to keep the doors open against the retracts, only I am using carbon rod instead. Pictures are more helpful here, so here they are.

The First picture is of the original C-clip installed on the axle as from the factory. You can see that the carbon rod is simply glued in place on the underside of the gear door so that it extends slightly forward of the gear when fully extended.

The second picture is of the peened axle installed.

The third picture is the pin after heating it up and peening it over on one end. This way, the c clip is not necessary to hold the axle in and therefore does not get caught on the carbon rod while using the gear. I used some copper wire to take up the slack that now exists since the axle is biased all the way to one side.

The video shows the original c-clip axle on the left and the modified axle without clip on the right. You can see that pressure against the gear door (as would be present during flight) does not affect the action of the retract on the right, but does on the left.

http://youtu.be/yVT4v0LJ0Eo
capn is offline Find More Posts by capn
Last edited by capn; Nov 16, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:55 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
trying to get my f-18 setup....but the esc is only beeping. with the bind plug in the rx lights up and after a few seconds the esc will beep like 5 times but once i turn on the tx with the bind switch flipped..nothing..the rx just flashes
jjh24 is offline Find More Posts by jjh24
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:06 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh24 View Post
trying to get my f-18 setup....but the esc is only beeping. with the bind plug in the rx lights up and after a few seconds the esc will beep like 5 times but once i turn on the tx with the bind switch flipped..nothing..the rx just flashes
What radio setup are you using?

Usually once you power up the RX with the bind plug, you turn on the TX with the bind switch - don't wait. Once the TX-RX are bound, remove the bind plug and disconnect the battery. Then reconnect the battery, the RX should bind, and *then* make the beeping sounds.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:33 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
What radio setup are you using?

Usually once you power up the RX with the bind plug, you turn on the TX with the bind switch - don't wait. Once the TX-RX are bound, remove the bind plug and disconnect the battery. Then reconnect the battery, the RX should bind, and *then* make the beeping sounds.
your right..sorry..im using my dx6i with a orange rx (with a satillite) i used with another plane..but i didnt erase the old settings from the other plane..i thought the bind plug would do that..but once i did that and reset everything it binded..THANKS

...but why did it beep like 5 times after a few seconds. i waited for a few seconds and it didnt bind..so i started over and didnt wait and it bound right up..

i want to learn more about how to program the esc and the beeps..ill do some research..THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
Goodyear, AZ.
Joined Dec 2005
267 Posts
just got the kit from nitro... welcoming myself to the thread...
lw777pilot is offline Find More Posts by lw777pilot
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:39 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lw777pilot View Post
just got the kit from nitro... welcoming myself to the thread...
WELCOME..im new also..i just finished my paint job this week..so im doing the settup today..my fan wasnt balanced so i got that done and just did the binding..
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
once it is binded...do you put the bec plug in the batt spot?..right
now its in the gear spot or does it matter
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:01 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,037 Posts
Yes, you can connect the BEC connector to the BATT/BIND port.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:03 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you can connect the BEC connector to the BATT/BIND port.
ok thank u
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:04 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh24 View Post
...but why did it beep like 5 times after a few seconds. i waited for a few seconds and it didnt bind..so i started over and didnt wait and it bound right up..
Sounds like the RX went into failsafe mode and then proceeded to diagnostics.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:11 PM
Goodyear, AZ.
Joined Dec 2005
267 Posts
havent gone thru the whole thread yet.

does anyone know if I can buy the landing gear only? I got the kit version on its way (fixed gear) I went to Nitro page ....no pics of the landing gear parts... is that the one for $5? Most of the electronics I already have its just the scale landing gear I dont have.

Thanks

LW
lw777pilot is offline Find More Posts by lw777pilot
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:13 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like the RX went into failsafe mode and then proceeded to diagnostics.
ummm ok thanks didnt know that
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lw777pilot View Post
havent gone thru the whole thread yet.

does anyone know if I can buy the landing gear only? I got the kit version on its way (fixed gear) I went to Nitro page ....no pics of the landing gear parts... is that the one for $5? Most of the electronics I already have its just the scale landing gear I dont have.

Thanks

LW
There is

1) the fixed (wire) landing gear, and

2) the servoless retract system, which consists of the a) electronic retract mechanism, and b) the machined aluminum landing gear with springs.

If you want scale, fixed landing gear, get the aluminum landing gear, cut the wire fixed gear, and install (they lock in place with a grub screw - you might want to cut a flat notch on the wire for this).