HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old May 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
Suspended Account
trappy's Avatar
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreaming View Post
Trappy: Your feedback is welcome - as it always is. I'm not telling anyone to stop (or reduce) posting, was just saying, Spektrum is an R/C solution being used by individuals for their own reasons. There's no right and no wrong gear to use or not use, we all do our own thing for a reason.
I'm sorry, maybe it's just me, but so far I haven't seen any REASONS for using Spektrum gear other than "we have our reasons" or "we just have different requirements". I'd love to hear some substantiated facts or reasons as to why you think boosting the output power of something that doesn't work well (just my assumption - otherwise you wouldn't need to boost it in the first place) is a good idea. The only reason I could think of is the argument of "polluted 72MHz" frequency. But with Spektrum you're switching to the most polluted band in the whole world, away from a band that is used less and less each day...
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Last edited by trappy; May 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
But with Spektrum you're switching to the most polluted band in the whole world, away from a band that is used less and less each day...

Maybe in Austria. Are you guys still using escapements over there. We switched to servos over here.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
trappy's Avatar
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Wow. That's a new low even for you, Gary. Way to go. First you call me a strawman, now you accuse us of being technologically illiterate. Hey, whatever works for you. If you're so set on offending the technology we use, how come you need to boost in order to get even close to what our technology performs out of the box? How come we can get out to 15km (10 miles) with our gear with a $0.50 modification while you can't even get to 1/3rd of that range with 5x the output power and satellite receivers? How come the europe-based Weatronic 2.4GHz system outperforms Spektrum by a factor of 6? Don't even try to convince yourself into thinking that what you use is state of the art. It's outdated even by the most modest of standards. Especially Spektrum ...

Oh, and occusing Austria of being technologically illeterate while coming out of Arizona. Didn't your momma tell you not to throw with rocks while you're in the glass house?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Last edited by trappy; May 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:57 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
Wow. That's a new low even for you, Gary. Way to go. First you call me a strawman, now you accuse us of being technologically illiterate. Hey, whatever works for you. If you're so set on offending the technology we use, how come you need to boost in order to get even close to what our technology performs out of the box? How come we can get out to 15km (10 miles) with our gear with a $0.50 modification while you can't even get to 1/3rd of that range with 5x the output power and satellite receivers? How come the europe-based Weatronic 2.4GHz system outperforms Spektrum by a factor of 6? Don't even try to convince yourself into thinking that what you use is state of the art. It's outdated even by the most modest of standards. Especially Spektrum ...

Oh, and occusing Austria of being technologically illeterate while coming out of Arizona. Didn't your momma tell you not to throw with rocks while you're in the glass house?

Apparently you don't know what the term straw man means. You might want to look it up, it is not an insult. You also don't seem to appreciate humor but I know long winters can do that to a person. There is no reason for you to know what I'm doing and obviously you don't. I have a DX7 but have never put an amp on it. I have had several different UHF systems on it however and was testing that technology while you were still trying longer antenna wires on your receiver. I follow this thread because I think it is interesting. Donít be so upset when others donít follow in your exact footsteps. If people think you have a better solution they will adopt it on their own and if not they will do something else.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 28, 2010, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account
trappy's Avatar
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
straw man means a guy taking a something off topic. my interpertation of the topic is "Spektrum for long range". I said don't do it and have posted nothing but reasons why it's a bad idea. So don't accuse me of taking the topic off track.

Accusing a whole nation of being backwards might be funny where you come from. I'm not laughing. With or without winter.

I'm not asking people to follow what I'm doing at all ... I'm just pointing out Spektrum, or any of the "cheap" 2.4 systems, is a bad idea and stating my reasons for it. Frankly you've just made me wonder why I'm putting any effort into this at all. What do I care if you crash your planes? All I get is insulted here anyhow. If not directly then indirectly by folks who "have their reasons". So long ...
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old May 28, 2010, 11:46 AM
It's all fun till Crunch!
Capt. Crunch's Avatar
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,969 Posts
Flame Suit...Check
Flame Thrower...Check
45 APC...Check

Ready, Set, Fire....


Gary, FYI for what it's worth, 2.4 IS THE MOST POLUTED BAND ON EARTH! ANYWHERE..

If you need any proof, just get a Spectrum Analyser and set up a 24 hour logger, oh, and when City Wide WiFi comes to pass as "Standard" multiply by 100 or 1,000 for your hits on 2.4.

Remember everyone is jumping on 2.4 because our AMA only got us "Secondary" use of 72 Mhz, not Exclusive Use, and in the dense city enviroment 2.4 is much better, for now! Spectrum, BTW, is the WORST implementation of the 2.4 frequency use there is, Futaba FASST is the best by a long shot, check the particulars of the two implementations for yourself if you don't agree.

I'm using Spectrum/JR because it was the first, but expect to abandon it in 2-5 years as it becomes less robust and more problem prone. In the mean time, I'm looking at all possible schemes as replacements, and I think this is a great thread to review what's going on out in the Whole World, not just Cal & Hicksville.

Yours lovingly,

Cruncher
Capt. Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old May 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
It's all fun till Crunch!
Capt. Crunch's Avatar
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,969 Posts
I thought Straw Man was a Stand In for the real person who wishes to remain anonymous?? Confused..

Whoa... Check out Wikipedia's definition, I think we're all using it incorrectly!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Man
Capt. Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old May 28, 2010, 12:04 PM
Registered User
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post

blah
blah

...What do I care if you crash your planes? All I get is insulted here anyhow. If not directly then indirectly by folks who "have their reasons". So long ...
Awww, so do you feel you've been insulted? You can quote me, but I didnt make one jibe against you at all, just tried to bridge the gap between you superior (UHF) beings, and us (Spektrum) mortals.

But I (collective, WE) appreciate your feedback in the Spektrum thread, and thankyou for trying to 'connect' with us....

Come on Trappy, we've exchanged discussions many times in YOUR Flying Wing threads and other Posts. Why do you feel hostility? lol.
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old May 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
First to go over 106K feet
Crist Rigotti's Avatar
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Gentlemen,
Let's get back on the topic of my modification of my DX7. This is not a topic to discuss the merits of any frequency of R/C. Your posts are welcome as long as you stay on topic!
Thank you.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old May 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
straw man means a guy taking a something off topic.
No not's not the meaning.

Straw Man Definition

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet weaker proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

What occurred was an imaginary person (straw man) was created who held the following beliefs.

1) That a 2.4 radio with an amp was the best way to fly long distances.
2) That 2.4 had no interference problem.
3) That a 72 with a long antenna couldn't fly further than 2.4 with an amp.
4) That a UHF system couldn't fly further than 2.4 with an amp.

That person never existed and I don't think anyone else here thinks so either did but it is relatively easy to refute his beliefs.

This thread was created to discuss amp's on 2.4 radios for the purpose of extending the range. If someone wants to try that good for them and I’m interested in hearing the results.

Can we all be friends now?
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 28, 2010, 12:23 PM
Suspended Account
trappy's Avatar
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Crist Rigotti: The topic is "Spektrum DX7 booster mods for long range". If you drop the last 3 words, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I'm just trying to keep the new guys here in this forum from jumping on the "hey I've got a 2.4GHz Spektrum R/C, let's get into FPV" bandwagon. It has been tried before countless of times, with investments being made into 900MHz video transmitters, receivers, antennas, and after 1 year of fiddling around, people are down a couple of planes, a lot of money and haven't done one single flight without being worried about losing their plane due to loss of R/C link. And that's usually with "normal-range" flights of up to 1 mile. And here you are propagating Spektrum for long range flights with the single change to the system being a booster. Anyone with experience in long range flights should be in this thread asking if you're out of your mind. I'm not sure why this doesn't happen ... maybe people just have stopped to try to convince you guys, as it's a lost cause.

jet: I may come off as top-down, but anyone that knows me this is exactly the opposite. I'm in no way a "superior UHF being", I do most of my flights on 35MHz for the mere fact that I don't have enough UHF RXs and the UHF system I have is brand new, meaning demand far outstrips supply. To be honest, I don't feel hostility, I feel ignorance in this thread. That's why I've unsubscribed. Happy crashing.

Gary: I've never said anything even close to the points of 1 - 4. My original position is: get off Spektrum if you fly FPV. The sooner the better. With a booster you're extending the range in the good cases only, the bad-case or worst-case scenarios will still have very poor range. That's what I've been trying to tell you for the past 15 or so posts. And no, we can't be friends ... not as long as you put words in my mouth.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old May 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
Registered User
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post

blah
blah

jet: I may come off as top-down, but anyone that knows me this is exactly the opposite. I'm in no way a "superior UHF being", I do most of my flights on 35MHz for the mere fact that I don't have enough UHF RXs and the UHF system I have is brand new, meaning demand far outstrips supply. To be honest, I don't feel hostility, I feel ignorance in this thread. That's why I've unsubscribed. Happy crashing.

blah
blah
Unsubscribed. Hmm, thats a pity. But for sure, you will be coming back to this Thread intermittently, just to see if anyone has written anything that might remotely be in response to your recent Posts, and "argument".

Anyway, now peace is restored, I too am eager to hear how Crist Rigotti is getting on with his DX7 mods for long range FPV! Any developments?
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old May 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Registered User
tushev's Avatar
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
If the quality of the case is an indication of the contents its worth $70.
Here, is it good
http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_...6055896afa.htm
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old May 29, 2010, 04:52 AM
Suspended Account
trappy's Avatar
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1251945
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old May 29, 2010, 07:22 AM
First to go over 106K feet
Crist Rigotti's Avatar
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
Just to remind everybody, my set up went nearly 1 3/4 miles with NO problems. Not all 2.4 set ups are the same as some people would like to think. Again, remember that this is what I've done to acheive these results and this is what this thread is all about. Let's again, keep it on topic.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion A single Unit for long range control and video link markeydoo FPV Talk 1 Apr 06, 2010 02:18 PM
Discussion 2.4Ghz 500mW Pen Booster Range test sirocco FPV Talk 12 Oct 02, 2009 05:26 AM
Discussion Range issues with Spektrum DX7 jc9995 Radios 6 Sep 16, 2009 10:45 PM
Discussion Spektrum claims the DX7 has full range....does anyone know the actual range in ft? TheFlyingAce Radios 42 May 31, 2008 02:04 PM
Discussion DX7 or other 2.4 Ghz for long range E-glider bmwbob Radios 6 Mar 04, 2008 05:05 PM