HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:48 AM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,692 Posts
As for the antenna routing, I think I will follow something I read this morning. Placing the antennas in some 72 antenna tubing and epoxy that in place to prevent unwanted movement. Other wires will be secured as well, just in case.

And there's that "brown out" word that has had me concerned the most. Another area to study up on.
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:09 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Everyone I know still flies 72 mhz. I've been reading this morning on setup and things are starting to clear up a bit. Change just comes hard for me at times, especially when I've had no problems at all with past experiences. I do see it as a step forward though.

Give up?! What's that? I don't know the meaning of that term. I do find it funny though that if a radio has the option to convert to 2.4, that it only shows setup for 72 mhz.

Before I go plugging things where I don't know, can the battery be plugged into any channel on the RX? All of my past RXs have a battery channel labeled, usually 8. these don't. Channel 8 worked for the battery, but one of the mixes I want to use requires channel 8.
The radio was not designed to have a 2.4 option. The 2.4 module is after market.

It should not matter which channel you plug the battery into since all of the channels share the same power bus.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:12 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,087 Posts
Brown outs are caused by the voltage to the rx dropping below what the rx will operate at. If it is momentary then the rx will come back on. The reboot time could cause either some anxiety or a crash. I like to use a 2s lipo with a bec so the rx is getting a constant 6v.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:51 AM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,692 Posts
Very helpful info. Thanks.

I've got to stick with what I have right now, but for future reference, a few questions.

I assume a charger would be in order, obviously.

Does a brown out set off the fail safe on the RX?
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:18 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Brown outs are caused by the voltage to the rx dropping below what the rx will operate at. If it is momentary then the rx will come back on. The reboot time could cause either some anxiety or a crash. I like to use a 2s lipo with a bec so the rx is getting a constant 6v.
This is another reason I went XPS. With all the High Voltage Servos coming out, I dont want my rx to create the need for a seperate voltage. While the Nano can go all the way down to 2 volts before browning out, it can take up to 37 volts direct. I however dont see needing to go over 2S <8.4 full charge>.

XPS reboot is litterally instant if for some reason it would reboot.

I too held on to the 72 with all the fears, and honestly I think 4.8 volt Nicad Flight pack bats where the leading killer of planes, not as much 72Mhz. <unless shot down by someone on the same channel>.

I was happy with being the few on 72... until I tried 2.4 <even Spektrum> IT was soooo much faster and felt more connected.

6 volt packs and BEC if required, are very important with all Freq IMHO
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:22 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,342 Posts
Quote:
Very helpful info. Thanks.

I've got to stick with what I have right now, but for future reference, a few questions.

I assume a charger would be in order, obviously.

Does a brown out set off the fail safe on the RX?
Depending on the RX having fail safe programming, and enabling it, yes. Its very important if you ever have a battery physically come loose and unplug.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:40 AM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,692 Posts
It does have fail safe. First one for me. In fact, this adventure had turned into I've big first for me. First new plane, 3d plane, computer radio, 2.4 and hopefully, first successful maiden. Its almost like I've never flown before, but I'm enjoying the adventure all the same.

After reading the manual about 10 times, I think I've got the radio down. I've got over 2 hours logged onto the radio and its only dropped .2 volts. I'm sure flying will use more voltage, but I think that's pretty good (but what do I know).

I just looked through my tower catalog to price lipos and chargers etc., and yeah, that will have to wait for now.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:49 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,342 Posts
Quote:

I just looked through my tower catalog to price lipos and chargers etc., and yeah, that will have to wait for now.
Naturally if you have a solid battery that works for you, no need to change. However, if the time comes, Tower is not the most affordable solution for Lipo or charges, and there are many out there. My charger is 36 dollars and the TX bats are like 19 for the 3S2600 low discharge. Never put a high discharge 3S Lipo in a TX at full charge, I seen the end rush ruin a Futaba 7C and the Aeroworks plane that was connected when the range was reduced to 100 feet.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:05 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I got this chsarger from value hobby http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...6-charger.html
and these batteries for my flight batteris from them as well
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ries/life.html
I have been very happy with these.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:39 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
The fail-safe is there for safety if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter. The receiver takes over and sets the servos to the pre-determined position. If you have a brown out or the rx battery fails, the rx is off and there is no fail-safe. You can test the fail-safe after setting it by moving the sticks to some random position and turning off the transmitter. The receiver should then set the servos to the fail-safe positions.

There is a lot of disagreement about brown-outs. I have not seen it in FrSky, Futaba, or Assan (my 2.4 modules). The most notable ones that have had the problem is Spektrum. Some people use a large capacitor on this receiver power to help with brown-outs.

Then there are the folks that advocate using 7.4V Lipos and then a regulator to reduce the voltage if needed. A lot of servos and some receivers are now compatible with 2S lipos. Most of the receivers are now low voltage and operate down to the 3V range. If everything, rx and servos, all are able to run 7.4V, I say go for it. If anything is not 7.4 (HV) compatible, I personally think the addition of a regulator is an unnecessary complication of the system and adds another point of failure. I prefer to use either a LiFe or 6V NiMh for the RX pack. Regulators are not necessary.

One thing to consider is the current draw of the servos. Many people ignore this to their detriment. A brown out is frequently a result of the servos momentarily pulling the voltage below the safe voltage level for the RX. The RX shuts off and when the voltage comes back, as a result of reduced loading by the servos, the RX comes back and reboots. The reboot time can be long enough to cause a crash. Adding a capacitor adds additional current capacity to help feed the servos during high demand.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:57 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,342 Posts
Wayne is right about the Brown outs and Fail safe, not sure how I wondered that way, Multitasking is bad.

I have ZERO problem with the regulators, simply put most Smart Fly management boards have them built in. With having higher voltage on the back side of the regulator, its even harder for servo loading to drop the voltage since the 7.4 is typically higher then the 5 or 6 volt limit of the RX anyway, hense a built in bigger capacitor that is not taking up a channel slow on the board <y cord maybe>

Lipos / Lion offer a lighter battery and longer flight times, way less sag in high servo use areas. If you need nose weight for a tail heavy plane, the other batterys do go into small places and weight is applied well.

Most of the loads and sags we are discussing are typically seen in a much larger application then the Tribute or trainer. However, my .35 nitro plank, I use a 2000 mah 2S Lipo RX pack and a regulator. This give me a solid 6 volts to the servos and its small size fits between the 2 servos in the wing opposite the RX.

Abaser, Speaking of Servo Loads, when you set up your servos make sure they are not stalling at full through, that is one of the biggest items that will drop voltage and cause a possible brown out. Wayne's last paragraph is just that.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:00 PM
United States, NJ, Middletown
Joined May 2012
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
The fail-safe is there for safety if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter. The receiver takes over and sets the servos to the pre-determined position. If you have a brown out or the rx battery fails, the rx is off and there is no fail-safe. You can test the fail-safe after setting it by moving the sticks to some random position and turning off the transmitter. The receiver should then set the servos to the fail-safe positions.

There is a lot of disagreement about brown-outs. I have not seen it in FrSky, Futaba, or Assan (my 2.4 modules). The most notable ones that have had the problem is Spektrum. Some people use a large capacitor on this receiver power to help with brown-outs.

Then there are the folks that advocate using 7.4V Lipos and then a regulator to reduce the voltage if needed. A lot of servos and some receivers are now compatible with 2S lipos. Most of the receivers are now low voltage and operate down to the 3V range. If everything, rx and servos, all are able to run 7.4V, I say go for it. If anything is not 7.4 (HV) compatible, I personally think the addition of a regulator is an unnecessary complication of the system and adds another point of failure. I prefer to use either a LiFe or 6V NiMh for the RX pack. Regulators are not necessary.

One thing to consider is the current draw of the servos. Many people ignore this to their detriment. A brown out is frequently a result of the servos momentarily pulling the voltage below the safe voltage level for the RX. The RX shuts off and when the voltage comes back, as a result of reduced loading by the servos, the RX comes back and reboots. The reboot time can be long enough to cause a crash. Adding a capacitor adds additional current capacity to help feed the servos during high demand.
+1 all the way. I am moving to life Batts to ensure I have enough juice especially in the twist. I fly spectrum and the only time I've had an issue is when the plane had the stock nimh rx pack (it was the pts mkii p51 from horizon). Switched it to a 6v nimh and never looked back.

I use an accucel6 from hk for 3s and under and now that I'm moving to more epower I picked up a power lab8 for my 5s and 6s parallel charging needs. I know there is a lot of debate about hk so I found another source of reasonably priced batteries epbuddy.com. Their glacier packs have gotten good reviews and they are closely priced to hk.

In my electrics I plan to run a sbec for those over 48" but that's a different story.
joshgluck is offline Find More Posts by joshgluck
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:12 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgluck View Post
+1 all the way. I am moving to life Batts to ensure I have enough juice especially in the twist. I fly spectrum and the only time I've had an issue is when the plane had the stock nimh rx pack (it was the pts mkii p51 from horizon). Switched it to a 6v nimh and never looked back.

In my electrics I plan to run a sbec for those over 48" but that's a different story.
I have had 2 of the Spektrum Branded battery packs, those things <purchased new> were the absolute worst I have seen.Maybe their brownouts where the packs.

I love the low use of power the switching BEC's offer, they are noisy critters. I always toss in an additional choke to keep them from putting noise into servos. <analogs servos are the worst for picking up noise>
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:51 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,692 Posts
Well, I gotta say, I was pretty happy with the Tribute quality until now. Its not a big thing, just frustrating. NONE of the preshaped pushrods are the correct length. All are requiring at least an inch or more to be cut off. Trying to add the S bend back to the end I cut has broken 3 out of 4, making them too short after a new bend. Luckily, I think I do have a few extra pushrods left over somewhere......from 4 years ago.........after several cleanings of the shop..........BY MY WIFE Might be making a trip to the LHS next week.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:56 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I got this chsarger from value hobby http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...6-charger.html
and these batteries for my flight batteris from them as well
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ries/life.html
I have been very happy with these.
I have bookmarked those links for future reference. Maybe some of them will be in stock by then.

I appreciate the battery discussion going on. A little confusing, but interesting. Would someone mind sharing exactly what 2S/3S and so on refers to? The whole battery thing is new to me as all I've ever had to worry about is charging them.