SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by rotorheid
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Build Log
T.F.K.A. Cyril Carr's "Supermarine Walrus, 200% Foam Build.

Hi Guys,
As mentioned in the Depron Puddle Twin thread I was going to have a go at the Free Pro-Plan from the February 2008 edition of RCM&E.
I have got underway with the wings building. Due to lack of real crisp depron I am using a softer more flexible type obtained localy in the craft shop, like foam board without the paper. It is 3mm and 5mm only but comes in white and vomit green. I decided on a double skin wing with a depron spar as a deviation from Cyril's design. This one is definately for swimming pool operations. Some Magazine and build pics for your enjoyment. Cheers mates,
regards to all, Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Last edited by rotorheid; Jul 05, 2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Picture added.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Fuselage start and progress of the Shagbat!

Hi Guys,
Up early on day off to start the fuselage. Built upside down as it's easier. I quite like the green stuff now, you can see where your angles are off. Just need to buy some ice lollies, sticks for the struts...mmmmmm.
Cheers mates,
regards to all, Al
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:55 AM
Find More Posts by meatbomber
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,398 Posts
Great i just received my copy of the mag with the plan... i HAD to get that oneafter you mentioned it because it`s the nicest Walrus plan i have seen to date.... i'll follow this build very closely and i'll probably make this my on-tour building project as it has anice size to stow away in my travel shop
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Good one mate, post some pictures of your build please, what colours will you do? Look out for the MISTAKE on the drawing regarding "up" thrust. It shows down thrust! I will not make it this way. But go the original aircraft drawing route. (Ye canna change the laws o' physics laddie!)

regds. Al
Last edited by rotorheid; Mar 27, 2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Warning, drawing wrong.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:18 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
V hull and keel.

Hi Guys,

Floored the cabin, stuck on my clear laminating plastic foil, now adding the keel and V hull planking. Gives a good bilge compartment. Will go with all fly by wire (string) for the tail surfaces. Cheers mates.
regards to all, Al
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:34 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,398 Posts
Are oyu an airplane al ? the way you write the coments under the photos seems very familiar

The idea of seeling the bottom is good (actually really good!), you`ll still have to get the bottom water tight as you don`t want water sloshing around in the bilge either... just think of it.. only 15g of water running from forward to aft is going to produce a massive shift in CG (well now how do i know that )
Are you gonna do the tissue and WBPU un the bottom for sealing the hull ?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber
Are oyu an airplane al ? the way you write the coments under the photos seems very familiar .................
Are you gonna do the tissue and WBPU un the bottom for sealing the hull ?
Hi Meatbomber
Not sure what you mean? (language barrier only) I have been involved with full size and model avaition since 45 years, last 34 years flying and maintenance fulltime, so yes, I guess it has rubbed off on me.
Yes I will do tissue and WBPU on the hull for sealing, you've seen my landings, I need all the help I can get! Cheers mate,
regards to all, Al
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
V hull progress

Hi Guys,

Depron fore pieces for V hull laminated and bent into shape, had to cut three times. Doh! Some filler and a quick rub down then a coat of WBPU ready for tissue later. Back to wings and tail surfaces now.
rgds, Al
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:58 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,398 Posts
DOH i wanted to type if you are an airplane engineer, as the captations on your photos are the style usually seen on maintenance workorders (am an engineer/Pilot too.. first Lauda Air now Pink Aviation Services)
Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Jiggery Pokkery!

Hi Guys,

A bit more progress tonight, wasn't really in the mood as a disasterous days flying for my friend, Wolfgang. He reduced his Airworld ASK21 with gas turbine to Zero, from 800 mtrs in about 3 secs, what a real shame.. on the 3rd flight. You could put the biggest piece in your pocket. Lost pitch control completely, radio worked OK after the impact, weird.

Steam Pidgeon
Wing fettling with makeshift jigs for alignment, lower wings on and braced. I cut 3mm depron tyres and glued them in the retracted position, used bamboo for the gear legs, stiffened up the wing a treat, dihedral looks a bit much but it's no biggy to sort out with some tweaking.
regards to all, Al
Old Mar 29, 2008, 05:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Access hatch, Motor nacelle and final tissue covering.

Hi Guys,
A little more done tonight after work, I did undo the wheel legs and reduced the dihedral on lower wings, it looked very mickey mouse before. Off to bed as on early shift this week, bah! Cheers mates,
regards to all, Al

If you have a spare 10 mins here is a cracking Video of the Walrus in action from youtube, cool staged rescue mission and soundtrack.

Supermarine Walrus in Action (5 min 31 sec)
Last edited by rotorheid; Mar 29, 2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Vid link added.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by rawy
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
820 Posts
Very nice Job Al,

Is that green foam PU ? is the specific weight higher than the depron ? it looks like some PU sheets I got here ? only that my PU is haevyer than depron. much harder too.

still have too much unfinished stuff laying around here but your very clean build inspires to go on with a new project, hhhmmmm will first try to clean the bench here, better for the family politics too

nice to have more inspiring builds here,

rawy
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Depron/Polyurethane?

Hi Rawy,
Thanks mate, now you've set me thinking, I cut two pieces the same size and weighed them on digital post scales, you're right, the green stuff is heavier, by some 40% never noticed that on the small pieces I am using. Stifness is the same, cantilevered both sheets off the table, same fall angle. Has the same production marks (roller mill or flexible finger supports?) as the white stuff. They make the same sound when tapped and both pick up the same amount of Bass from my loud speakers. Try walking past your hi-fi playing loud Rammstein whilst carrying a sheet, you can feel it!
Looks and cuts like Depron, however as mention before it is imported from China to the local craft shop and is very cheap. 1.40 for a sheet 1000x800x3mm or 1.60 for a sheet 1000x800x5mm, the only PU sheet I've used before was Rohacell/Kegecell for full size glassfibre glider repairs, PU dust from sanding is very grity and harsh, nothing like that, no wee bubbles in this stuff. I like it as a construction medium as it cuts so well, and floats! I better call it Chinese Depron after the Chinese Olympic Aerobatic Champion Pilot: Wan Wing Low.
Cheers mate,
regards to all, Al
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Ice lollyathon!

Hi Guys,

After a hard day of ice lolly munching I had sufficient sticks for the engine nacelle. I made a best guess at the thrust lines and positioning and glued the two front mounts, the nacelle and finaly the rear lolly sticks, sorry, struts into position. I hope any discrepancies with the angles are overcome, well I have a rudder and fingers so it won't be too bad. cheers mates,
regards to all, Al
Old Mar 30, 2008, 05:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Al gets help with rigging.

Hi guys,

Starting to look like something now, had some chums round to help secure the upper wing, splendid fellows, kept banging their heads on the ceiling with their jumping up and down though.
Seriously, got stuck in after tea and the result is as you see. The tip float position is an extension of the wing struts, they will be trimmed to size later. That's it for tonight, more tomorrow, hopefully. Cheers mates.
regards to all, Al