SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by H2SO4
Mixmasta belongum jeezus kraes
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,846 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix: How to land wings and pushers without breaking the prop?

I'm really enjoying Phoenix 3.0, and I think it has helped me immensely.

One thing that I can't seem to figure out is how to land models like the FunJet and the Flying Wing without breaking their props. The sim engine seems to treat any intersection between the prop arc and the ground as an automatic fail, irrespective of the landing speed and whether or not the prop is spinning.

Actually, for folding props, such as the one on the Radian, there's a clear difference between whether or not you're landing under power, in which case the prop snaps and you get sent into the naughty corner, or whether you've remebered to power down to zero on the final approach.

With the FunJet however, I can't get Phoenix to treat my landings as acceptable unless I put the plane down on its back, so that the Vstabs are keeping the prop off the ground. That doesn't seem like the optimal approach for real life flying

Any guidance? What's the trick to landing a FunJet in Phoenix?
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Zilonis
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Hi H2S04

I've never tried the FunJet before but i'm interested to see if i experience the same problem. I'll try it a little bit later today and report back with my findings.

best regards
Zilonis is offline Find More Posts by Zilonis
Old Apr 24, 2011, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by bed time
Joined Dec 2009
67 Posts
You do it the way you usually would, glide it in?

Alex
bed time is offline Find More Posts by bed time
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by H2SO4
Joined Jan 2011
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bed time View Post
You do it the way you usually would, glide it in?

Alex
Thanks for the response. Are you managing to consistenly land a FunJet in Phoenix without breaking the prop? If so, did you have to set up anything special on the Tx or the sim?

Gliding doesn't seem to be enough in my case. The landing is treated as a crash, irrespective of how slowly I come in, and even if the throttle had been cut to zero way before the landing.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by Ezekiel Freshmen
I build unconventional bricks
Singapore
Joined Apr 2011
150 Posts
Hmm, I guess the developers forgot about that.
Either that or the fact that you can simply reset the craft overruled the complications that may come if they were to made the "craft" crash proof.
Ezekiel Freshmen is offline Find More Posts by Ezekiel Freshmen
Last edited by Ezekiel Freshmen; Apr 25, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by bed time
Joined Dec 2009
67 Posts
It usually does, try pointing the nose down a tiny bit on landing.

Alex
bed time is offline Find More Posts by bed time
Old Apr 30, 2011, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by Puzom
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Bug in the model design.

They have set the prop as collision part which will reset the model as soon as it hits the ground a bit too hard. Most models have this and I guess they should change this value a bit so these parts are stronger.
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by H2SO4
Joined Jan 2011
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Bug in the model design.

They have set the prop as collision part which will reset the model as soon as it hits the ground a bit too hard. Most models have this and I guess they should change this value a bit so these parts are stronger.
Thanks. It does have that "bug" feel to it.

Somebody from the Phoenix dev team presumably monitors this forum, in which case please consider this a bug report

FunJet, Flying Wing, F117A - none of them can be landed (right side up) without the sim engine treating the prop/ground intersection as a crash.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by c0p0ut
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined May 2012
27 Posts
I realize this thread is old, but the problem is relevant.

I purchased Phoenix RC 5 recently and am having the same problem when flying the FunJet. I think I was able to successfully land this once in the grass without a crash detection, but I have not been able to repeat the success.

Does anyone know of a fix, or a contact person at Phoenix RC who can address this issue? It really draws away from the reality of this model and I would like to build up my confidence in landing this great model prior to buying it.
c0p0ut is offline Find More Posts by c0p0ut