Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2005, 07:57 PM
Casey Thrower Born for RC
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Has anyone received the Mr. darby superstructure kit yet?

If so what are your thoughts? The instructions to me are very incomplete and leave a lot out.
C Thrower is offline Find More Posts by C Thrower
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2005, 08:45 PM
I see a plan in your flaw
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
CT,

I have not purchased one yet. I have been curious to see how it is before making the big plunge. What are your thoughts on it? After I saw the new pictures on the site I have taken another look at my Dumas kit. I guess I am on the fence until I hear some more news on it.

Thanks for the post!

Marty
pusar is offline Find More Posts by pusar
Old Nov 06, 2005, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pusar
CT,

I have not purchased one yet. I have been curious to see how it is before making the big plunge. What are your thoughts on it? After I saw the new pictures on the site I have taken another look at my Dumas kit. I guess I am on the fence until I hear some more news on it.

Thanks for the post!

Marty
I only ordered the instructions and the running hardware as of yet. I too would like to know the quality of the superstructure kit before I buy it. I know you have to drill holes for wire to lay the deck which I don't like. I think laying a strip of 1/8 inch wood around the hull and laying the deck is the way to go.
Old Nov 06, 2005, 11:39 PM
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
The kit looks decent and I am sure it takes half the time to build. I do not think anyone bought the Darby and hoped to put it together in a weekend.
Quick and easy is how you bake a cake.

I am confused at their interpretation of the Darby with a second row of upper windows and a complete row of stantion's rather than running a solid railing like the Darby pictures I've seen. The stairs leading to the upper deck on the sides also seem bare without railings. A mast with some type of hardware would be nice. I guess when something has that pricetag I get nit picky.

Complaining but will probably eventually buy the kit...

Marty
Old Nov 07, 2005, 12:27 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
A lot of European and some U.S. HARBOR tugs have that upper row of windows - so the Captain see the flare of a ships bow. Since the DARBY is an anchor handling/oil well tug, she probably doesn't need the skylights. The ladders (stairs) look like Plastruct moldings available at any hobby shop. They only provide one style of watertight door, with the hinges on the left side of the door. They should provide doors with the hinges on the right side of the door. Usually ships doors have their hinges on the forward side of the door. Doors on the port side of the superstructure would have their hinges on the left (forward) side of the door. Doors on the starboard side have their hinges on the right (forward) side. Having the doors hinges on the forward side helps keep spray and water out of the cabin areas.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 07, 2005, 08:01 AM
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob
A lot of European and some U.S. HARBOR tugs have that upper row of windows - so the Captain see the flare of a ships bow. Since the DARBY is an anchor handling/oil well tug, she probably doesn't need the skylights. The ladders (stairs) look like Plastruct moldings available at any hobby shop. They only provide one style of watertight door, with the hinges on the left side of the door. They should provide doors with the hinges on the right side of the door. Usually ships doors have their hinges on the forward side of the door. Doors on the port side of the superstructure would have their hinges on the left (forward) side of the door. Doors on the starboard side have their hinges on the right (forward) side. Having the doors hinges on the forward side helps keep spray and water out of the cabin areas.

Bob,

That makes some sense. They have a total of 4 doors on each side while the real Darby has no doors but rather port holes.

On their model I would suggest not entering the 2 aft doors on either side. They lead right into the exhaust stacks!

Marty
Old Nov 07, 2005, 10:40 AM
western Ma.
Joined Sep 2004
40 Posts
Mr. DARBY

Marty,
Behind those two after watertight doors are the water cooled mufflers,and the area around them is where the hot air from the engine room is discharged and cool air for the engine induction is drawn in. Normally called the uptakes.
Phil.
bando4o is offline Find More Posts by bando4o
Old Nov 07, 2005, 10:46 AM
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
Is there any access to the uptakes from the outside? I am just going on the pictures I have seen of the real boat. I am trying to find more pictures of the rear and top. It would be interesting to see how the Dumas model compares to the real Darby.

Marty
Old Nov 07, 2005, 03:53 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,293 Posts
Darby is now Atlantic Salvor with Don Jon Marine. No extra windows (but that's why we have sheet styrene...)

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 07, 2005, 04:13 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,858 Posts
Now there is a very nice weathered subject to model!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 07, 2005, 04:19 PM
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
[
I am confused at their interpretation of the Darby with a second row of upper windows and a complete row of stantion's rather than running a solid railing like the Darby pictures I've seen. The stairs leading to the upper deck on the sides also seem bare without railings. A mast with some type of hardware would be nice. I guess when something has that pricetag I get nit picky.

Complaining but will probably eventually buy the kit...

Marty[/QUOTE]

I don't like the windows on the upper cabin and will not use them. They look funny. You're right about the missing railings. There are a lot of details Harbor Models left out of the instructions and with no plans anyone wishing to build that has never done the Dumas boat will be lost. There isn't even any mention of the anchor ways or how they are suppose to be done and no mast. I think they got in a hurry to release the kit and just threw out a set of instructions to get you by. For $400.00 ( just for the superstructure) you would think they could have done better.
Last edited by C Thrower; Nov 07, 2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2005, 04:28 PM
California
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
They have some pretty good pictures added of the different kits available
http://www.harbormodels.com/Harborma...otogallery.htm

Mike
JADESKI is offline Find More Posts by JADESKI
Old Nov 07, 2005, 04:31 PM
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
How difficult is it to have a curved piece of styrene to keep the look of the upper "walkway" below the front windows? The Harbor kit just has a railing.

I wonder if it is possible to buy the 1) preformed superstructure 2.) Laser cut superstructure pieces. 3.) Deck

They are showing a acrylic and styrene deck. Do you choose or are they together?

Marty
Last edited by pusar; Nov 07, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2005, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pusar
How difficult is it to have a curved piece of styrene to keep the look of the upper "walkway" below the front windows? The Harbor kit just has a railing.

I wonder if it is possible to buy the 1) preformed superstructure 2.) Laser cut superstructure pieces. 3.) Deck

They are showing a acrylic and styrene deck. Do you choose or are they together?

Marty
One goes on top of the other.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:06 PM
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
Superstructure options

Spoke to a gentleman at Harbor Models today that stated it is possible to purchase individual parts of the new superstructure kit. For me this would be the way to go since my decks are finished and I am strictly interested in the superstructure alone. I do not need the stanchions, railings, crane etc. I can finally use all the deck hardware I bought on E-bay for the past 6 months,

No prices were yet given. This looks like a great way to deck the boat out the way you want.

Anyone recieved the kit yet?

Marty