Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,336 Posts
Poll
Who fried their FBL 100/ V922 receiver boards

Hi just a simple poll to get a better picture of who and how many receiver boards have you guys fried either from shorted tail wires or wrong battery polarity or whatever reason.
joeclone is online now Find More Posts by joeclone
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:38 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,515 Posts
Me. I wrote about how the tail wires shorted the board in the other thread.

Other than frying the board, the board may be faulty (see video below) but the cause is unknown.

Turnigy FBL100 gyro problem (1 min 23 sec)

If you search for "FBL100 problem" you'll see quite a few of these helis with their swashplate tilting as it spool up. After changing to another board, the problem went away.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,336 Posts
and there was the other video on youtube where the guy power up the heli first before the tx and he was having the same problem where the swash tilts and won't level
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,336 Posts
come on guys chime in with your stories
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
So you can't kill these things with water, proven by an owner on the review thread!
vizard is offline Find More Posts by vizard
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:00 AM
because crashing is learning
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I fried the board on my V922. Repeated tail boom damage, very likely the enamelled tail motor wires were damaged, shorted, and fried the FET on the board. Bummer. Ordered new board.

I've soldered in 1X replacement plastic coated tail wire to reduce the chances of it happening again.
MrDamage is offline Find More Posts by MrDamage
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:29 AM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
the board may be faulty (see video below) but the cause is unknown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fsN89XWvlk

If you search for "FBL100 problem" you'll see quite a few of these helis with their swashplate tilting as it spool up. After changing to another board, the problem went away.
I have a Genius CP. My Genius does the same thing that's on the video.

But during flight, it flies fine.

If my Genius is on the ground, and I turn the rotors (minimum rpm) without taking off, the servos will tilt the swash plate to the side. Then, I drop the throttle to zero, the swash plate will then level itself. Then, I could take off just fine, and it'll fly just fine.

I have never fried my circuit board in the 10 months that I've owned my 2 Genius CPs.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,336 Posts
I do think it's the 3 axis doing it's job coz if you see when you give tx input to tilt the swash on the bench it just stays there until you counter. The v922 does the same thing as your genius, I just ignore it and take off where it'll level itself.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,336 Posts
Yahoo!! I officially repaired my first V922 receiver board It was a donor board from a friend who killed the main motor mosfets. Though I'm not considered a newbie at soldering but this is my first attempt at SMD. Looking back it really isn't that hard a job to tackle, if you've got some soldering knowledge you can DIY the mosfet repairs on the board. Will post some pics later coz the internet line is at a crawl at the moment.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Crashed, tail boom split open, enamel coating of wires that has rubbed off, short, tail motor control fried. Now the tail motor spools up at full speed when the rotor engine starts a little. The MOSFETs on my board are 34DGs. I've googled and I couldn't find a datasheet for this reference. I'd love to try reparing the board myself but it's difficult if I don't know the caracteristics of the component
Hisky provides plastic insulated tail motor wires in their FBL70 so perhaps they'll stop using enameled wires.
lalelilo is offline Find More Posts by lalelilo
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,336 Posts
I think this is what you're looking for http://www.unisonic.com.tw/datasheet/UT3404.pdf . I can't find the actual thing so I just got an equavailent part from Farnell. Good luck with the repairs.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:05 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,133 Posts
It would be unfair to single out the V922/FBL 100 for frying boards. I have fried one V922 board but I have also fried lots of mCPX, Genius CP, Mini CP and Super CP boards. The tail fet was usually involved due to a short circuit with the tail motor wires. This was probably as a result of a poorly assembled tail boom after a repair.

That's why I think it is best to buy a completely assembled tail boom and motor initially unless you are good at soldering. Assembler booms are available for the mCPX and Walkera helis. However, it is not offered by the V922/FBL 100. In fact, the assembly is in 6 pieces which I find unnecessarily complicated. So much so I have been having great difficulty in repairing it because my LHS does not have all these parts at any one time.

The issue with blown tail fets is the number one problem with 100 sized CPs with brushed motors.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Apr 15, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The issue with blown tail fets is the number one problem with 100 sized CPs with brushed motors.
Only more reason to do the insulated wires tail mod when you first get the heli
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:48 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclone View Post
I think this is what you're looking for http://www.unisonic.com.tw/datasheet/UT3404.pdf .
I'm based in France and I'm not an electronics engineer. I can find the following reference at Conrad but I'm not sure that the MOSFET (N-channel, Vds = 30V) could handle enough amps.

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...lml6344pbf.pdf

Could you please have a look ?
Last edited by lalelilo; Apr 16, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:50 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
It's funny but my FPs have plastic insulated wires (V911, Xieda 9958) while the CPs (V922, Super CP) have enamel insulated wires. How come ?