HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Fodder View Post
Nice work and welcome to the club, although it seems to have gotten very small lately.
I'm still flying mine quite a bit, frankly enjoying it now more than ever. Maybe a combination of the improvements you guys talked me though plus my better skill acquired through lots of practice. Also, since I have a bunch of other planes now, I am focusing on flying this like a scale club, with special focus on takeoffs and landings, not so much doing loops and rolls, things that Cubs aren't meant to do. most flying at 50% throttle with the power up 450 and 9x6sf prop.

I've been lurking on the Parkzone Sport Cub thread since I am becoming such a Cub fan, that one also looks interesting to me. I am curious how it flies compared to my enhanced Flyzone. Main thing I would like to upgrade in the Flyzone Cub would be a gyro stability Rx but there is really nowhere to mount one. My Flyzone cub is joy to fly in calm to light winds. but anything over say 5-6mph winds and it is not so fun for me, too squirrely. I presume the Parzone Cub is much more stable given it comes with AS3X receiver.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:12 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
992 Posts
Your absolutely right, this Cub is best flown in a scale manner. Save the aerobatics for something more suited to it. Glad its working for you, mine has well over 350+ flights on it.

I have always had a particular fondness for Cubs and Tiger Moths. Recently I picked up a short kit from Pat Tritle to build this coming winter. Be my first wood kit build in a very long time. Here is the link to Pat's build thread. Videos of this Cub flying are very scale like, one of the best I have seen so far.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1763444
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:53 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
617 Posts
Just read the whole thread! WOW! My plane should be here early this week. Planning on the washout mod. Going to use a couple Turnigy 3c 1600's I have already. Hopefully I'll be able to pull out the lead on the nose! Going with bigger wheels, smaller tailwheel, pilot, thinking about painting the interior area for better looks, try and hide the RX and wires as much as possible, and try the 8x6 prop on stock motor mod. Hopefully I won't fry anything! I have several of those little bell motors I used to fly in GWS models and never smoked one, only bent shafts....I DID notice on them I had to use a stiff prop to keep from getting flexing in flight of the prop tips. The GWS props would cavitate under full throttle.
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:39 PM
Joined Oct 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ace View Post
Just read the whole thread! WOW! My plane should be here early this week. Planning on the washout mod. Going to use a couple Turnigy 3c 1600's I have already. Hopefully I'll be able to pull out the lead on the nose! Going with bigger wheels, smaller tailwheel, pilot, thinking about painting the interior area for better looks, try and hide the RX and wires as much as possible, and try the 8x6 prop on stock motor mod. Hopefully I won't fry anything! I have several of those little bell motors I used to fly in GWS models and never smoked one, only bent shafts....I DID notice on them I had to use a stiff prop to keep from getting flexing in flight of the prop tips. The GWS props would cavitate under full throttle.
In my case the stock ESC fried with 8x6 prop, that was almost catastrophic. ESC upgrade should be the first mod.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:57 PM
Your INVERTED!
Joined Jul 2005
617 Posts
That's weird.....It's a 18A ESC, and I haven't ever had one of those little bell motors pull over about 15-16A. I flew my ME-109 all the time with a old Thunderbird 15A esc and never had any problems....I used a 8x8 on it, and a 8x6 on my GWS E-Starter. I guess if it fries I'll replace it. Wonder if it gets hot without air flow in that area? I might change the airflow in the cowl some....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 01:14 AM
Joined Oct 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
That's weird.....It's a 18A ESC, and I haven't ever had one of those little bell motors pull over about 15-16A. I flew my ME-109 all the time with a old Thunderbird 15A esc and never had any problems....I used a 8x8 on it, and a 8x6 on my GWS E-Starter. I guess if it fries I'll replace it. Wonder if it gets hot without air flow in that area? I might change the airflow in the cowl some....
If the ESC fries, the plane is going down. Just hope it lands belly up in some ice plant like mine did.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:34 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
992 Posts
Quote:

The 8x6 SF prop will tax the stock ESC to the limit. Remember, this Cub has a heavy wing loading, and will soak up power. I used the 8x6 for two summers and winters before modifying the model. I made a very conscious effort to keeping the throttle at a reasonable flying speed, and limit the full throttle bursts to a minimum.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:06 PM
Your INVERTED!
Joined Jul 2005
617 Posts
Heavy wing loading??? It's 12oz sq ft.....That's a super floater.....I don't think I'll be using much over half throttle 90% of the time, we'll see this weekend. If I fry the stock ESC I'll throw in a Thunderbird replacement, I love them. Never had a problem with them at all....

Kinda wondering why everyone uses the 8x6 instead of a 9x4/5???

I always prop for power/torque, instead of speed....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:39 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
425 Posts
Hey guys,
Yesterday(Sun 7/20) we had our club speed races(radar)...anything goes. I wanted to see what some of my models did as far as speed. My Cub was first....3 passes...best was 53.3 mph( I was surprised!!!). My 2nd was the Techone Neptune 64mm EDF....best speed was 92.9mph(fast enough for a wing). My 3rd was the 3S Stinger 64....best was 93.7mph. A lot of fun.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:23 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
992 Posts
Quote:
Heavy wing loading??? It's 12oz sq ft.....That's a super floater.....I don't think I'll be using much over half throttle 90% of the time, we'll see this weekend. If I fry the stock ESC I'll throw in a Thunderbird replacement, I love them. Never had a problem with them at all....

Kinda wondering why everyone uses the 8x6 instead of a 9x4/5???

I always prop for power/torque, instead of speed....
My Flyzone Cub after all the mods I have done and heavier battery weighs in at around 33 ozs for a wing loading of 13.4 ozs / sq ft and a wing cubed loading of 8.6. Not exactly a lead sled I agree, but it is a bit on the heavy side for its size. The stock motor is pretty anemic, perhaps I should have quantified my statement better that the model is underpowered for its weight. Stepping up to the 450 motor makes a big difference.

Speaking of floaters, the Cub project on my bench for this winter has a 60" wingspan, an all up flying weight estimated by me at about 28 oz. The projected wing loading for that model is around 7.8 ozs/sq ft and a wing cubed loading of 4.1. The real amazing thing is Pat designed this model around the same size motor I'm using in this foamie, a 450, but on a 2000 mah 2 cell battery swinging a 10" - 11" prop.

For props I can only offer some observation regarding selection with the stock motor. The 8x6 SF as I measured it is pulling almost 17 amps at full throttle, it is pushing it for the stock ESC. I can only guess that the 9x4.5 SF will likely exceed the 18 amp stock ESC. That is too close for my likings, personally a 25% buffer between max ESC rating and max measured amperage is more to my comfort level. The other thing you may want to consider is clearance. If your on the stock wheels the bigger prop might be an issue. With the 3" wheels the 9" or 10" props are no problem.