SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:28 PM
United States, OH, Lima
Joined Oct 2012
43 Posts
Discussion
FPV fears for a new pilot

Hello all,

My name is Denny and I am an addict! FPV addict that is. I'm green as grass when it comes to FPV so I have a couple of starter questions.

I've just purchased my FPV gear from ReadyMadeRC which includes the Fatshark Attitude V2 goggles 5.8 ghz kit. I went for the spiroNet antennas and purchased the pan-tilt-roll module (which I can't use because of my Dx6I trans.) Bummer. A new one will come later IF I can fly FPV confidently.

My planes: EA Airlines "Axon" (foam board construction made with FPV in mind), a Flite Test Spitfire or a Multiplex FunCub. I can fly these with confidence.

Now the question: what will be my first obstacle with my maiden FPV flight?
What should I be doing now before my first flight? I've been on the sim in FPV mode and it LOOKS easy but I know better. What am I missing? I just don't know what to expect.

Advice welcomed as I don't want a fly-a-way or a massive crash on my first FPV outing. I'm going to wait on a nice CALM day for the maiden flight though.

Thanks...
dalaman is offline Find More Posts by dalaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:37 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2012
92 Posts
First off I would so some range tests with everything hooked up to make sure you have good signal for the distances you plan on flying. If you all good, give it a go. Just don't try and go further away than you normally would flying line of sight on your first time up. Good luck
Liquidsilver is offline Find More Posts by Liquidsilver
Old Jan 21, 2015, 08:59 PM
United States, MS, Gulfport
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
first time fpv

This is a GREAT question.
I've flown fpv for hours and hours... and I still remember my first flights. My recommendation is to use a spotter. Have him wear the goggles while you fly line of sight. Have him tell you if or when he loses video signal. Its basically a real world range test. Then after a few minutes, have him hand you the goggles and he spots the plane so he can point to it if something happens. At the end, remove goggles and land line of sight.
When you first put the goggles on, you will have a strong urge to look back at the plane...RESIST IT. Only take the goggles off if the plane is in danger. That is why you flew up high before you put the goggles on.
Keep me posted if you need any help.
here's my youtube channel, I've got some fpv videos there. Check out my shark plane setup vid for tips.
https://www.youtube.com/user/adamh1281
adamh1281 is offline Find More Posts by adamh1281
Last edited by adamh1281; Jan 21, 2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:56 PM
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
567 Posts
get a recorder and record the first flights and then watch them thru the goggles so you can get used to what flying FPV is...

if your signal is good enough (a few misses are ok) then go for it and enjoy it...
rcall is offline Find More Posts by rcall
Old Jan 22, 2015, 01:04 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh1281 View Post
This is a GREAT question.
I've flown fpv for hours and hours... and I still remember my first flights. My recommendation is to use a spotter. Have him wear the goggles while you fly line of sight. Have him tell you if or when he loses video signal. Its basically a real world range test. Then after a few minutes, have him hand you the goggles and he spots the plane so he can point to it if something happens. At the end, remove goggles and land line of sight.
When you first put the goggles on, you will have a strong urge to look back at the plane...RESIST IT. Only take the goggles off if the plane is in danger. That is why you flew up high before you put the goggles on.
Keep me posted if you need any help.
here's my youtube channel, I've got some fpv videos there. Check out my shark plane setup vid for tips.
https://www.youtube.com/user/adamh1281
+1. Great advice
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:04 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,676 Posts
I would add study the area you will be flying over on google maps. Try to learn the landmarks. Don't fly too high because then you will see too much of land, it,s gonna be hard to recognize where you are.

Having a spotter and recording the flight is the best.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DTF-UHF 200mm mini quad
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:35 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,033 Posts
And I'll add to be sure to sit in a chair your first flights as your mind can play tricks on you body. Walk the area you plan to fly noting low hanging wires, tree lines, hills and the like. These will become your landmarks. Don't stray to far out on your first flights. Also, on your first flights takeoff and land LOS until your conformable flying FPV. Have a flight plan, don't just go out and jack-bat around the sky and follow a check list. Keep a log book of your flights and always carry your HAM, AMA, and if you have it, your PPL or other certificate along with ID. At sometime or some point you will get a visit from some official asking your intentions. Be extremely polite. BTW, it's more fun to fly low around 150' AGL than 3000' off the ground. You can see more.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:36 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,033 Posts
Forgot to add. Don't fly alone.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:58 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,676 Posts
Funny that a lot of people suggest take off and landing LOS. I always had a hard time going from scree or goggles to LOS, always hard to find the plane in the sky. Also, sky is way brighter then goggles or screen and it's hard to sometimes keep your eyes open with a strong sun.

IMO, best to have a spotter and FPV all the way. Stay close and give the radio to the spotter if a problem arise.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DTF-UHF 200mm mini quad
Old Jan 23, 2015, 06:06 AM
What place .... is this ???
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,495 Posts
Agree FPV all the way, I often fly alone, so have to launch and then get the goggles on, you are most at risk of a mishap while getting yourself organised. As for landing, I am concerned I may not find the model in time, so land FPV, I think with a little practice, your landings are better this way, in my opinion anyway.

First flights should be with a spotter, once you get a feel for what you are doing, you can go alone, be prepared for some painful lessons though.
Heppy Ket is online now Find More Posts by Heppy Ket
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:21 PM
United States, OH, Lima
Joined Oct 2012
43 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

To all that replied: many thanks for all the first hand knowledge. It sure looks like a lot of fun and I'm really getting pumped just waiting for a nice day. Here in Ohio it looks like that day won't be here for months. I want to be comfortable when I take my first flight so I'll just practice with the simulator in the mean time. I'm making a list of the advice given here and will give it a shot. I'm going to buy a recorder so I can capture my first FPV flight and post it here. Later...

Denny
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:36 AM
Too many numbers
United States, IL, Lake in the Hills
Joined Oct 2010
1,856 Posts
Don't get lost. The FOV of your FPV camera is probably more narrow than your eyeballs. Pay attention to where you are when you fly. The "HOLY SMOKES!" factor of feeling like you are actually flying will dominate your attention at first. Fly simple race track patterns until you get used to knowing your airspace and surroundings. Once you are comfortable, you can start playing around.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Jan 24, 2015, 05:49 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
885 Posts
I had some successful fpv trips while on holiday .
The car I used was white and parked out in the countryside it was a very visible landmark to return to.
As said -its very easy to get lost
nicktwinnflying Drifter Ultralite FPV. (3 min 43 sec)

This is an example of me getting lost not far from home- I should have had a "white" car that day!!
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:36 PM
United States, OH, Lima
Joined Oct 2012
43 Posts
Dam, looks scary to me! I'll have to pick out some landmarks to refer to. It definitely looks different from the sky. Thanks for the video and glad you found yourself.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:33 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,033 Posts
Here is one a did a few months ago. FPV, Phantom 1, GoPro 2, BosCam 32 vTx and vRx 5.8. Takeoff and landing FPV.
An Evening At the Rillito River (6 min 28 sec)