SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2014, 05:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Devon
Joined Jul 2012
89 Posts
Video
FPV Spanky on the Rocks

Hi All,

We got permission to fly around a local active gravel quarry, no workers were on site during the weekend so we had the opportunity to check it out and have a fly around the all the equipment.

This video was filmed back in September while the weather had a break from the rain and wind. The site is used to create fine gravel and aggregate for local businesses and has been active many decades.

The location would be so good to have Mini FPV Quad races around all the equipment, there is even a track behind this location that would be an excellent advanced course for the later races with a 50meter high incline on the straight.

Best viewed full screen @1080p
FPV Spanky Active Gravel Quarry (4 min 34 sec)
JAB1a is offline Find More Posts by JAB1a
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:53 AM
Joined May 2010
1,072 Posts
Nice flying. What are you using for a FC?
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:27 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,342 Posts
Nice flying. Would love to have a spot like that to fly.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
89 Posts
Cheers both, good to hear from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Nice flying. What are you using for a FC?
In the Spanky is a Acro Naze32 using the latest Baseflight on stock PIDs and rates
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
89 Posts
Here are some Photo's taken by my spotter on this day...

The area was covered in fine dust...

Which made for some great trails of dust when at speed...

After the small tumble into the stinging nettles I realised a few magnets had come loose in the ZMR1804 motors which can be easily fixed with super glue...

Lucky I had the tools with me...

Use No.9999 for zip ties, as a spreader for superglue. Once I found the magnet, just remove it and clean the section where it sits and then apply a thin layer of superglue...

After that, rebuild the motor and its back in the air for another attempt...

A rare spot, a caged Spanky...

No one like to see these animals caged, they should be allowed to roam free among the trees...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:41 AM
avt
Hell Flyer
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,299 Posts
I don't think I ever saw a quad with different number of props in the front and rear
Awesome flying by the way.
avt is online now Find More Posts by avt
Old Jan 05, 2015, 08:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avt View Post
I don't think I ever saw a quad with different number of props in the front and rear
Awesome flying by the way.
Cheers for your comments Avt

Good spot on the probs, I ran out of 2blade props once while flying very close proximity in an old mine ruins and thought I would just test to see if 3 blade worked on the back and to my surprise the quad handled even better in very confind spaces, it stoped the seesaw effect from quick blips on the throttle in forward motion. I used this same configuration while doing the FPV racing and I found the lateral control of the quad was awesome, kept the frame nice and level and had plenty of thrust, it was a winning combo. My normal config is RCTimer carbon 2blade props front and back.