HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2015, 02:26 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcta15 View Post
Hmmm the wife has already told me that the cats are off limits......darn.
Just ask her if you can put a mobius camera on its back. Shouldn't bother the cat to much, and i bet the footage will be interesting.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2015, 03:58 PM
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcta15 View Post
Not bad but you want to aim for getting all the wire points that go on the signal wire end, as close to touching the tip as possible.
I hope you get what I mean, kinda like trying to balance 3 spear points on your finger.
Rct

Yes I got ya. I had the geometry of each lobe all perfectly set on the bench but did not take into account for the spacing off center when attaching the legs to the shield. It resulted in the attachment points to the signal wire being staggered around it. I will have to adjust for that in the next lobes I bend up. I wasn't sure if changing the geometry of the lobe would be better in the moment or just soldering them where they fell was better. That clears it up. Thanks
NotFastEnuf is offline Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
Old Jan 30, 2015, 04:09 PM
United States, OH, Gahanna
Joined Sep 2013
43 Posts
I have been intrigued by the CL antenna & gave it a try. the best wire I had on hand was 14 ga copper electrical wire. Pic of the results are attached. My question is, given the rather radiused corners, is this worth trying ot attach to a cable or shoul I start over with the 20 ga ( .8mm) wire that seems to be popular?
sportybuckeye is online now Find More Posts by sportybuckeye
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:36 PM
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportybuckeye View Post
I have been intrigued by the CL antenna & gave it a try. the best wire I had on hand was 14 ga copper electrical wire. Pic of the results are attached. My question is, given the rather radiused corners, is this worth trying ot attach to a cable or shoul I start over with the 20 ga ( .8mm) wire that seems to be popular?
Did you solder all the end together? there is supposed to be a gap between the two joints, and the diameter should be something between .020-.045" like Alex stated in the first few posts...
soccerj4y is offline Find More Posts by soccerj4y
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:27 PM
United States, OH, Gahanna
Joined Sep 2013
43 Posts
soccerj4y,
yes, I left a small gap between the top & bottom joints
sportybuckeye is online now Find More Posts by sportybuckeye
Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
526 Posts
Quote:
soccerj4y,
yes, I left a small gap between the top & bottom joints

Ok, it looked all soldered together.

I'd say you can try it if you want, no hurt in doing so, but a smaller awg will probably give you the best product
soccerj4y is offline Find More Posts by soccerj4y
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Ok, my first attempt was a little rough so I have decided to take some time away and invest it into an endeavor that should aid in future antenna production. Although I will never appreciate this set of helping hand as much as I appreciate my wonderfully supportive wife who held all the pieces as I soldered the first antenna, this may be a more sustainable situation. I unveil the diy "helping hands".
NotFastEnuf is offline Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,715 Posts
Quote:
Use .030" mig welding wire (not flux core). Trust me on this one. It will perform (and build) much better. You can find rolls of it at the hardware store for a few $.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Today, 12:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
419 Posts
PM me if you want some. I have a 2 pound roll of .8mm copper coded mig wire I will never use up. Only home for a short window now. So be quick about it.

Here is my first build. Made it for channel 5740 but it works better on 5735.
litehawkdown is online now Find More Posts by litehawkdown