New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by bryankloos
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Discussion
New to the Hobby, and in need of advice

Hi Guys,

I am an old (20 years past) rc plane and car guy who is interested in getting back into the hobby. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn RC Heli but was told its "too hard and too expensive" back when nitro heli was the only thing around. Seems things have come a LONG way since, and its time for me to get back into the hobby and master the helicopter.

I've played with a few sims over the years, but own nothing. I want to get into CP 3D eventually, and would like to grow with the hobby.

I'm thinking of starting directly with CP, small scale, but want the opinion of others.

One thing I question it the radio... Should I buy a decent radio and then BNF kits of go with cheaper RTFs with lower quality radios.

What are good options for starting if I go directly to CP? I see the blade nano and 230 are popular.

If you all convince me to start with sub CP skills, what is the best starting point and models?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan
bryankloos is offline Find More Posts by bryankloos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by primer
Blade assassin
USA, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jul 2008
611 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Personally, if i was to start all over again I would get a cheap hobby grade fixed pitch heli. They are easier to repair than collective pitch heli's. I know they can't do the same stuff, but they are relatively cheap and cheap to repair. Also, collective pitch requires a good knowledge of how to fix them. Collective pitch requires set up that you may not know yet. If you crash and do not know how to properly repair a cp heli, you'll be fixing it again next time you try to fly it. Meanwhile, If you start with fp, you can learn about cp heli's while you are also hear picking up information and learning.

Now, if you do decide to go cp right away do yourself a favor and get a belt driven or shaft driven tail rotor set up with a good gyro and servo for the tail. Yes. I know they are more complex than a motor driven tail rotor, but they are much more stable in my opinion. I learned to fly with a honey bee cp2. Then I upgraded it to a guru frame with a belt driven tail rotor. The difference was night and day. So much more controllable.

As far as getting a good radio. It depends on how far you want to go. A dx6i can controll 10 different models. The advantage to that is being able to bring one controller to fly all of your models instead of 1 controller for each model you intend to fly. In most cases they are more precise and dependable.

If I were you, i would put my location in my profile. Someone around you may offer to give you hands on help when you need it.
primer is offline Find More Posts by primer
Last edited by primer; Jan 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Thanks!
I'm in south western CT.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by sprint11
Joined Dec 2013
389 Posts
If you can afford it I would get a sim. The other thing I was steered towards 3 years ago when I started was a little nano qx quad good trainer and good for learning orientation and stick control. If you don't want a quad I would try and find a good used mcpx or something along that line. They are discontinued but still a lot of parts to be found. That will give you a good idea what cp is all about. A lot of guys have opinions and all good it just depends on what you want to spend and how far you are planning on going in the hobby. Some guys will tell you to go bigger but I tried that and it ended up in the box till I was ready. For one thing it scared me and also can be dangerous. I know each individual is different and each to there own on how they learn. I started on coaxials than to 4 ch heli now cp helis. As far as a tx you can find the dx6i pretty cheap anymore and it would do you fine for awhile depending on if you start getting into helis with safe and all the other features they are offering anymore. If you are planning to go far in the hobby you might want to invest in a better tx with more channels to support all the different modes. The dx6i works fine for me right now because I don't use any of the safe modes or other modes that's just the way I have learned to fly. It all boils down to what you want and where you are heading. Before doing anything just do a lot of reading and research sorry about writing a book here. A lot of great guys here to help you out.
sprint11 is offline Find More Posts by sprint11
Old Jan 21, 2016, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by primer
Blade assassin
USA, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jul 2008
611 Posts
Also, see if there are any hobby shops in your area. See what ype of heli's they have and the parts selection. Don't be pressured in to buying what they want you to buy. But if they have parts for a certain heli that fits your needs, it's a good idea to know that. It may influence your decision. And get a sim.
primer is offline Find More Posts by primer
Old Jan 21, 2016, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by norcalheli
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,982 Posts
I also learned to fly (hover) on a HoneyBee CP2. I can tell you for certain that the motor tail helis that Blade sells today are far more precise and reliable than the CP2 tail. They are improved to the point where, as a beginner, whether or not the tail is driven by a motor should not be an impediment to buying a heli you otherwise want. Just be sure to buy hobby grade, not toy grade. The WL-Toys, Blade, and other micro helis are good to learn on as they are cheap and don't tear themselves up when you crash. When you get into 300 to 450 sizes and up, with belt and/or shaft driven tails, the complexity goes up exponentially, as does the number of parts that break in a crash.

PS: Primer, the problem with the blasted CP2 tail was it was too big with too small a motor. There were a couple of hop-ups you could do that switched it to a direct drive tail rotor, and improved tail speed, and reaction times but it still always felt soft. That has essentially been corrected with the newer motor tail helis.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Jan 21, 2016, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by Mooney78865
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2015
147 Posts
I've been learning with a 500 size clone. I have a thread in this topic section that has a lot of advice, tips, pros and cons from a lot of members.

I've been either lucky, or a good study, but it has worked out for me.
Mooney78865 is offline Find More Posts by Mooney78865
Old Jan 21, 2016, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Aug 2014
1,206 Posts
RUN RUN RUUUUUUN !!!!!!!! Get out while you still can ! don't even get one Helicopter. RUUUUUNNNN AWAY. LMAO just be forwarned its an adictive Hobby but its better than wasting your money at the gin mill. get a good name radio and a good quality trainer helicopter. my suggestion wood bee a 200srx but you might want to fly around a coax first to get the hang of it. and whatever ou do .... don't try to learn cp on a blade 130x like i did
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old Jan 22, 2016, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
14,307 Posts
I was an long time fixed wing flyer too and I also got put off helis many years ago by the 'too hard and too expensive' argument.. which to be fair was largely true at the time.

I got into helis less than 4 years ago, i used the Tx I had for the fixed wing planes (Spektrum DX8 at the time) and got myself a cheap Trex 450 Pro 'clone'. I found the fixed wing experience helped a lot and I picked up heli flying reasonably painlessly. I now wish i'd started with a 500 'genuine' heli rather than the 450 clone but at the time i didn't realise the heli bug would bite, so i didn't want to invest too much. I still have the 450 clone but it never flies these days.

Even now with the flying experience I have I avoid CP micros because they are too tricky to fly and frustrating to maintain.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by CaptJac
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,485 Posts
Welcome to the beginner's forum - and the 10 different opinions. Stay tuned to this station and you will probably get 10 more. What is best for YOU only you and your credit card can determine. Some people swear by quads as the best way to learn - some people swear at them. Big or small - FP or CP - tail motor or no tail motor - they all crash. First hand experience (as in seeing for yourself before you buy) is usually an eye opener for beginners. Helis are easy to fly - until you try it yourself. While you are at your LHS asking questions - ask them if they can recommend someone in your area who can help you learn. Learning on your own usually results in finding another hobby. There is no substitute for 1-on-1 training. If you can't find someone to help you then buy yourself one of those little indestructible micros for flying indoors - put some pillows in front of the furniture - and start flying. What's the best size for an indoor heli? That depends on the size of the room you have to fly in. For a beginner the more space you have the less likely you are to hit a wall - or anything else. Quads have pretty much taken over the market and the number of heli choices to choose from have dwindled down to a handful. Blade offers the best choice - of what choice there is - and they have a good track record with easy to find replacement parts at your LHS. Here is a >LINK< to their webpage. This hobby has a never ending learning curve with something for everybody. Best to start with little steps before trying to leap over tall buildings. There are a lot of supermen's in this forum and they will tell you what you want to hear. What they won't tell you is how many crashes they have had or how much money they have spent - because that would diminish their super powers. My msg box is always open if you have any questions.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:25 AM
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Guys,

I just purchased a Blade mcx2 and a few extra batteries and charger.
I will get my feet wet with the coax until the weather warms up and then buy a larger CP machine and good transmitter. I'm looking forward to enjoying the hobby.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks!

Bryan
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
14,307 Posts
Picking up on the 'what transmitter' question.. If you think you will be in the hobby for the longer term then it's always a good idea to buy a good quality Tx. For CP helis you need a bare minimum of 6 channels but preferably 7. If you go for a mainstream established brand you will get better after sales service and will probably find it easier to find others with the same Tx to advise on setup etc.

What you are willing/able to spend is a key factor.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Where does the 7th channel come into play with heli?

I was looking at the DX6, DX7 and DX9....

What are the general thoughts about the Spectrum line, and the above models? Again, I want to get something that has ability to grow with in both fixed wing and heli.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old Jan 24, 2016, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
13,278 Posts
The 7th (and more) channel only comes into play if you want retract, switchable lights, or some other accessory on your heli. For basic control of a CP heli you only need six.

Personally I would forget about a SIM -- might as well practice on any 4-channel indoor heli to hone your hand/eye/brain coordination. I started with a Twister Bell 47 and, once I was able to fly that, the bug bit and I got a T-Rex 500 kit. The learning curve with the 500 was rather steep but, since I'd built it myself from a kit, I knew how to fix it whenever I crashed.

Later I put a scale fuselage onto my 500, and got an HK500 clone as my practice heli. It's a tempting way to get started because of the price, but my experience was that it wouldn't fly until I'd replaced most of its moving parts with Align parts from my spares box, so not good for a beginner who has no experience of how it should fly, and how to fix it if it doesn't.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 27, 2016, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Damn this is fun!
The 9 channel radio looks very nice, but a bit pricey.