HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by ears1919
USA, IL, Chicago Ridge
Joined Dec 2007
248 Posts
Discussion
Model Boats Magazine

Wondering how Model Boats Magazine from UK are? I'm thinking of putting in a subscription for them. I loved SSM and no other magazine comes close to it. Ships n Scale seems to be veering into static and plastic modeling instead of rc.
ears1919 is online now Find More Posts by ears1919
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,061 Posts
Ships in Scale was always mainly static/display, and R/C's inclusion came only with many complaints from the sticks-and-string crowd.

Model Boats is great, a notch above Marine Modelling Int'l. Both are pricey here in the States. Look into their electronic version, maybe less $$?
http://www.modelboats.co.uk/
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by ears1919
USA, IL, Chicago Ridge
Joined Dec 2007
248 Posts
Forgot all about Marine Modeling International.

I still prefer paper print instead of digital copy...

I think I'm going to give Model Boats mag a try for a year and see how I like them.
ears1919 is online now Find More Posts by ears1919
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by leaky bill
leaky bill
Parksville BC
Joined Jul 2007
254 Posts
sending photos to this magazine

About 15 months ago, I took photos of a friends four scale models, a
total of 150 hires images together with scripted narratives on the model, a bit of bio on the builder and two months later there was a four page spread. It was published under the banner " readers models " His submission - Steve Martin models
If you read the editors comments about the ideal submission you will understand that if the editor approves of the narratives and has a good selection of images to choose from, he will certainly publish them. Well written narratives saves the magazine staff a lot of time.
I recently sent this magazine another submission of another friends
scale model tugboat, same hi-res images and data ready for publishing. I am confident they will be considered in March or April. One of the positive aspects of this magazine is that the models need not be museum quality to be considered however they must be " well built"
FYI
leaky bill is offline Find More Posts by leaky bill
Old Jan 14, 2016, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,922 Posts
I had subscribed to both Marine Modelling and Model Boats occasionally over the years, and as Pat Matthews mentioned, they are kind of pricey. Worth the money though---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 14, 2016, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by CGAux26
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Aug 2007
781 Posts
I subscribed to MB and MMI for a few years. It got where MMI seemed to be in second or third place, so I dropped them. MB has good articles on many branches of boat modeling. Like others have said a bit pricey in the US, but I think the subscription gets you the paper and online versions.
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,884 Posts
And it's slick and Glossy with no out of focus photos ever
That's what puts it above the rest.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jan 19, 2016, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
4,126 Posts
A definite "plus" is that they are the magazine that publishes Glyn Guest's (sp?) designs, which are often a free plan. When you go to their website, you can look at what is coming up in the next issue. Although when I last visited their website you could not purchase individual issues, they are available from The Model Dockyard (www.model-dockyard.com) if you want to "cherry pick" a particular construction article.

There are also some east coast hobby shops that carry Model Boats and will mail out a copy, but I haven't found any west coast distributors yet.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jan 19, 2016, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by linerfanatic
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
262 Posts
I have a digital subscription to MB. It gives you the ability to go through back issues and print out specific articles. If there is a model you really want to build, their affiliated store often has single issues, plans, and sometimes hull sets (semi-kits).
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic
Old Jan 20, 2016, 04:59 AM
Find More Posts by GlynnG
UK
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
Pete G.
Almost there, try adding the second "n". Not to worry I'm almost used to it by now.
Glynn Guest
GlynnG is offline Find More Posts by GlynnG
Old Jan 20, 2016, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnG View Post
Pete G.
Almost there, try adding the second "n". Not to worry I'm almost used to it by now.
Glynn Guest
Sorry about that. People want to add an "e" to my last name, so I have been there. My quest for Model Boats was for the issue with your paddle tug. Well worth the chase!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by RCBoater
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
677 Posts
Here's what I wrote on the subject in my club newsletter a couple of months ago....

For a long time, this British magazine has been my favorite. I used to buy be able to find them in hobby shops or even Barnes and Noble stores, but when they changed North American distributors several years ago, they became a lot harder to find. So, I have been
a subscriber for years, even though the postage from the UK isn't cheap, and seems to keep going up every year.

Model Boats had been offering a digital subscription option for a few years now. I had always
resisted, as going digital meant giving up the free plan that comes in every other issue. But when my subscription ran out while we were between homes, and a renewal for the paper copy was now twice the cost of the online version, I finally went digital.

So far, it has been great-- I get access to 6+ years of back issues, and I get access to the current
issue as soon as it is released. (I used to have to wait a month for a copy to show up in the mail
from the UK!) And I realized that I won't really miss the free plan, as I've only actually used one
of them in the last 6 years. If another design comes along that I really want to build, I can get one from a friend in the UK, or just buy one from the MB website. Even if I do that a couple times a year (unlikely) I'll still come out ahead.

One more thing- as I mentioned above, you used to be able to find MB in the hobby magazine
section at Barnes and Noble. Then for a few years, I couldn't find them anywhere. I even called
a few stores around the area and was told they didn't carry it anymore. But I was in the B&N
store in Nashua, NH, last week, and they had the current issue of Model Boats! I'm hoping that's good sign, and that maybe they'll be easier to find. One thing I do know-- not every store
carries them- so it is worth checking when you're in a store that isn't your usual one.
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,884 Posts
I find them at Bluejacket Shipcrafters. They usually have the last four current issues on the shelf.
Not cheap at $7.95 an issue but I love the content.
http://www.bluejacketinc.com/
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris