New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by kurtataltos
Joined Dec 2014
296 Posts
Discussion
DX5e upgrade ?

I asked this question in the radio forum but might get more specific sailplane replies here...

I have been flying REF/S electric gliders. I just moved to a HobbyPeople Phoenix II aileron which has been highly successful. If my next plane is a V-tail aileron (Specter 1800, ArtHobby Sky, etc, etc... ) then it appears...appears my DX5e won't cut it. If V-tail mixing is needed and/or I go with flaperons or flaps, is "the answer" a DX6i? Is there enough substantive difference between a DX6 and a DX6i to make the additional expense worth it (for these type of electric gliders)? Or..... ?????

Opinions, commentary and rational and semi-irrational insights greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!
kurtataltos is offline Find More Posts by kurtataltos
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2015, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Jet_A
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Dec 2011
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtataltos View Post
I asked this question in the radio forum but might get more specific sailplane replies here...

I have been flying REF/S electric gliders. I just moved to a HobbyPeople Phoenix II aileron which has been highly successful. If my next plane is a V-tail aileron (Specter 1800, ArtHobby Sky, etc, etc... ) then it appears...appears my DX5e won't cut it. If V-tail mixing is needed and/or I go with flaperons or flaps, is "the answer" a DX6i? Is there enough substantive difference between a DX6 and a DX6i to make the additional expense worth it (for these type of electric gliders)? Or..... ?????

Opinions, commentary and rational and semi-irrational insights greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!
Finances are always an issue here and I don't know your situation, but why buy a whole new transmitter to only go up one channel?

Why not skip a few and at least go to 7 channels as this is what a full house sailplane requires. (I self-launch with an electric motor). I have the DX-9 and love it.

Or buy used.

Alex
Jet_A is offline Find More Posts by Jet_A
Old Sep 09, 2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by kurtataltos
Joined Dec 2014
296 Posts
Probably a good idea rather than doing an upgrade to an upgrade to an upgrade...

I don't think I will need more than 6 channels but mixing for v-tail and/or flaperons is something in my future and the 5e won't get me there. Getting a 7 channel would be like getting a 30A ESC instead of a 25... and you're only drawing 20...no harm on the upside. Thanks for the reply !!
kurtataltos is offline Find More Posts by kurtataltos
Old Sep 10, 2015, 07:43 AM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,199 Posts
Since you are already on the Spektrum camp, I would go with a minimum DX7, the new black one. I know it's a bit of coin but it will take you a long time to outgrow it.

And it talks to you...

If you can wait since the season is coming to an end (at least here in the Northeast), there are usually good sales during the holidays with % off coupons. Even 10% of will save you $30.
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Oct 22, 2015, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by Spartacvs
United States, NY, Florida
Joined Oct 2013
32 Posts
Horizon Hobby is offering a trade in program for Spektrum transmitters (Tx)
They'll give you $30 for your DX5e.
You have to pay full price for the new Tx and they give you a form to send the old Tx back and give you a credit. You'd be lucky to get that for the DX5e so might as well take advantage of it.
If you are real handy get a Taranis for ~$200 and take the the DX5e apart and build yourself a true Spektrum module. That'll give you a Tx with so much stuff you wont know what to do with.
It has a learning curve but if you are handy and computer geekish you might find this a viable alternative
Spartacvs is offline Find More Posts by Spartacvs