New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by hufflehill
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Jan 2015
21 Posts
Help!
Looking for new helicopter purchase advice

I would like to ask everyoneís opinion on help choosing a new RC Helicopter. I'm a semi-experienced RC Plane pilot and have also owned RC cars and boats. I've flown the little Sky Hog helicopters for a while and have since moved up to and flown (my son's Xmas present) coaxial copter.

I have researched the dickens out of moving up to something bigger and I am quite honestly torn between several models/features. I came across your website and was really impressed with its contents so I thought I'd give a shot at asking for help out here Ė Iíve read some older posts but with the new models out there Iím starting a new thread.

I have read and know about the difference between a fixed pitch and the CP copters. I'm (financial constraints) looking in the "200" size. I lean towards a fixed pitch but don't want to get stuck with it and its limited capabilities below the CP kind. I also want to get a RTF with a radio included so I start right out with a complete package.

However researching them all has about made my head explode. So I'm hoping to seek some experienced advice! So, from my endless research and reading and comparing I've come up with the following list:

1) Walkera HM Master CP (Flybarless, upper end of my $ range, included radio seems very nice, separate tail motor, however lots of plastic parts and a brushed main motor are detractors and its CP which obviously requires more skill but its touted for beginners Ė Iím just not sure how much to believe the marketing).

2) Blade 200 SRX (Flybarless, extreme upper end of $ range, decent radio, separate tail motor and both it and main are brushless, however its fixed pitch and Iíve read some forums with people listing quality problems. However this one I can get from a US based firm).

3) Nine Eagles 228P (Flybar model, lower $, radio seems pretty basic without any means of adjustment, fixed pitch, brushed motors however it does have a separate tail motor thatís shaft driven, Bell Rotor head that seems pretty bullet proof).

4) WL V912 "MAX" Mini Helicopter (Brushless Motor Edition): This one keeps tickling my fancy except I keep wavering at its fixed pitch; (itís also a flybar model but itís got a Bell head, both motors are upgraded brushless, itís actually lower on the $ scale which is appealing and the radio seems decent).

Those are my top four. I have also eyeballed a Dynam E-razor 250 Carbon Edition, an Exceed MadHawk 300 as well as an Esky Honey Bee and Double Horse models but they are hard to find and I canít find much to read about them.

So, thatís my story Ė Iím hoping this isnít too long or too much to digest and someone out there would find some time to be able to respond and give me some much needed advice.
Thanks
hufflehill is offline Find More Posts by hufflehill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
15,015 Posts
If new to helis get V912 bl version rtf. Bang for $$ good deal.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 04, 2015, 09:39 AM
Joined Jan 2015
21 Posts
Yea, I keep coming back to that one at the top of the list (except for the radio). Thanks for the advice - keep it coming, I'm still researching my butt off
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:33 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
15,015 Posts
do yourself a favor and get bl version and order extra tail motor. I know its more but bl is way to go if you want to stay in hobby.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by JohnFM
United States, WY
Joined Oct 2014
1,842 Posts
I don't think brushless or brushed should be a big concern of someone just getting started. Sure, a BL motor is generally a better motor, but the older type with brushes still do a good job and generally get a lot of hours of use before a failure.
Plus models using them are always much much less expensive.
JohnFM is online now Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Mexico, Tamaulipas, Tampico
Joined Jun 2014
2,075 Posts
Avoid all nine-eagles and the blade 200srx....too soon for the MasterCP....v912 is sound advice...
ChespiIker is offline Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Old Jan 12, 2015, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by katoace
MOD IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Joined Jul 2009
692 Posts
A couple of years ago i would have told you to get a honey-bee and put on a bell-hiller linkage and some superblades......In this configuration it flies pretty much like the 200srx in 3-axis mode......Which is a good thing in that it will teach you all the basics of flying c/p(or pretty much anything with rotors for that matter). If i'm not mistaken the 200srx also has a 6-axis mode, which will fly pretty much like the v912.......My advise would be to get a 200srx, start out in 6g mode, and, when you're ready, click over to 3g.....Heck, i would get one myself if i hadn't put all of the work i've put into my honey-bees.......I've pretty much tweaked them to perfection and i'm very satisfied with them.....That being said......If the $ is to high and you don't like to tinker(200srx will require some to beef up some durability issues)... Then the 912 will fit the size you want........When(if) you get board with it, then there are various micro fp's you could fly in 3g mode that will surely keep you entertained and help you progress.... Eh...my 2 cents.............Kato
katoace is offline Find More Posts by katoace
Old Jan 12, 2015, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by Ribble
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
2,853 Posts
V912 brushed motor version. Even brushed motors last a long time if you let them cool down between flights. Brushless is kind of a souped up version of a tame helicopter.

When you tire of the V912 brushed version, give it to your son.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jan 12, 2015, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by dteel
Please call me Dana
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
3,826 Posts
Some pretty sound advice being offered here.

I find it difficult to offer advice to new helicopter pilots. If you know where you're headed, it's a lot easier for us to offer advice that makes sense not only now but for the long run as well. Most people when they start have no idea where they will end up in this hobby.

If you have even a little bit of experienced helicopter help it can make a huge difference in your advancement as a pilot. If you're mostly leaning via YouTube and the life of hard knocks then it's a whole different journey.

I'm pretty sure I've mostly destroyed a Master CP trying to figure out what to do when with a CP helicopter. Good news is that I now know. The bad news is that my Master CP may never fly right again. I keep trying but so far it's still a basket case.

I hope you're a fair mechanic, helicopters will challenge your mechanical ability unless you're a savant. I spend as much if not more time maintaining and repairing my helicopters as I do flying them. Sure is a good thing that I really like working on them too!

I think I'd save the money and just get the regular V912 if you're leaning that way. I doubt as a new pilot you'd appreciate the additional power from a brushless motor anyway and there's a good chance that you'll advance to CP before you have to replace the motor more than once (~$6).

If you intended to stick with FP helicopters then going brushless on the motors or even flybarless makes a lot of sense. Maybe check out the FX071C, I believe it fits into your price range.

Hope this helps.

Dana
dteel is online now Find More Posts by dteel
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2015
21 Posts
So, I thought I'd give everyone an update on my umm..situation. To try and quell the "bug" while I continue to have internal debates on my next step up helicopter I purchased a Syma F3 4-channel helicopter set-up from Amazon (the thing was only like $30). What a fantastic, neat, nice flying machine! It is very well thought out and built and flies very nicely even in some wind (with the controls set to high). It even took a high speed turn high into a tree during the learning curve with only a cracked landing gear (a replacement is on order from Banggood).

So, now onto the meat of my original post. I am STILL yet to pull the trigger on the purchase of the next step up. I am amazed at the sheer number of different models and manufacturers out there. I have continued to drool over all manner of machines, however, I still come back to the WL V912 brushless, the Blade 200SRX and the Walkera Master CP as the top three.

Now that I have the F3 (which I am flying almost daily on the two batteries I have - waiting on more from Banggood) I am wondering if the WL V912 might get "boring" after awhile. That being said, it looks like a tank and from everything I've read it handles real nice. It doesn't seem as "clean" on the inside; I've noticed that the ESC isn't covered and is just zip-tied to the battery. (FYI I'm a bit OCD and like everything - including my models neat and organized).
The Blade 200SRX seems like it would be the next logical step-up for me, has nice, clean lines and while flybarless, being fixed pitch doesn't seem as sporty. It is also totally brushless which is really a selling point. However, I'm still hung up on how expensive it is (compared to others) and the amount of bad reviews it seems to have gotten (yeah, I know, take internet reviews with a grain of salt sometimes). The Master CP is certainly the most advanced (being CP obviously) but its reviewed as being "beginner friendly". I obviously don't want to get a model that gets me in over my head, but its again, nice and clean and I really dig the transmitter.

SOOO, first off, thanks everyone thats taken the time to post on my threads with all their first-hand knowledge. Please keep it up, I read on here every week! Also, if there is anyone out there that has one of the three models I keep looking at and is willing to share their experiences with me I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks as always,
Greg.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:53 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufflehill View Post
purchased a Syma F3 4-channel helicopter
Great choice. More batteries, maybe not so good. Brushed motors need to cool down between flights. Consider another Syma F3 and alternate helicopters. Having two of something also makes troubleshooting much easier. And you already know what you are buying, making the decision easier.

You are on the right path. Good fun and good learning.

Does your F3 have a plastic pinion gear? Does it mesh well with the main gear? Do you see any signs of wear?

I fly V911's in my back yard in the wind. The Syma F3 is very close to the V911 and my bet is the Syma F3 will be your first choice as to what to fly for several years.

So, what next. You will always hear "Get a Collective Pitch (CP) helicopter". You will hear that advice over and over until you actually buy one. You will never be satisfied until you buy a CP helicopter. A lot of Syma F3 experience is enough to prepare you for a CP helicopter. So, buy a CP helicopter, preferably one that is slightly larger than the Syma F3 and can be flown =safely= where you fly the Syma F3. You either learn to fly CP or you get tired of waiting for parts. You have to buy a CP helicopter or forever regret not buying one.

The middle ground between Syma F3 and CP, in my opinion, is a 6-axis gyro quad which will teach how to land. You can crash Syma F3, but crashing a CP is a no-no due to the higher main rotor speed. I like flying the $18 CX-10 RTF nano-quad which flies great and the cost is so low that you can fly into walls and destroy it or simply wear it out. It will teach you much of what you need to fly CP and more than pay for itself even if you do not like quads.

Cheerson CX-10 CX10 Mini 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis LED RC Quadcopter RTF
http://www.banggood.com/buy/Cx-10.html

You would not be here asking questions if you already had a mentor and for that reason (and safety) stay away from the pilot's dream of a 450 CP - way too early for that.

Tempted to buy a Syma F3 just to see how it flies.
Last edited by Ribble; Jan 19, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by JohnFM
United States, WY
Joined Oct 2014
1,842 Posts
The Syma f3 looks like it uses yet another version of the 1s battery.
Designer arrogance, I think I'd avoid it just for that.
JohnFM is online now Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2015
21 Posts
[QUOTE=Ribble;30527323]

Does your F3 have a plastic pinion gear? Does it mesh well with the main gear? Do you see any signs of wear?

My Syma does have a plastic pinion gear and it is meshed very well. Currently with a couple dozen flights on it there is absolutely no sign of any wear...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:58 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufflehill View Post
My Syma does have a plastic pinion gear and it is meshed very well. Currently with a couple dozen flights on it there is absolutely no sign of any wear...
There must be a reason why Syma chose a plastic (or nylon) pinion gear instead of brass. On the good side, meshing with the main gear is probably smooth and quiet. On the bad side, the pinion gear gets severe stress as it transfers energy from the main motor shaft to the main gear and 10 times more stress when you hit something with the left (advancing) rotor blade going fast forward. Avoid by orbit nose left (CCW) rather than nose right (CW) when flying in circles.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
15,015 Posts
I have a bl Genius c/p that has nylon pinion. It is holding up fine. This heli has way more power than basic 4 ch f/P. Point being you should have no issue wuth that gear.